“Overpriced not that good for Hilton Chain”

Hilton London Paddington
Ranked #395 of 1,068 Hotels in London
England
“Overpriced not that good for Hilton Chain”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed for one night a lovely room but we was told the only one that was left which was a interconnecting one. No heating in room 426 but was quiet. No bath and a disabled shower which wasnt informed to us when booking in.We informed staff in the morning that there wasnt any heating in this room only to be told if we had rang down they would have changed rooms when we ha already been informed there wasnt any:/ so wasnt impressed so paid and left!!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Suey123
Mark R, General Manager at Hilton London Paddington, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Suey123
Obviously I am disappointed to hear that you had not enjoyed your stay with us and I wish to apologise to you for this. I have been to check the room and the issue with the heating is now resolved. It was a quick fix, so I would encourage you in future to please let us know as soon as possible of any issues, so that we can correct them immediately in order to enable you to enjoy your stay. Thank you once again for bringing this to my attention and I hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back soon. Kind regards Mark.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed here as a single traveller for a Monday morning business meeting.
Best bit was the bed - so comfortable! A warm and friendly greeting was very welcoming when I arrived on Sunday night straight off the Heathrow express - the Hotel has an entrance inside the station. I was even offered a choice of which floor I wanted ( there are 6) so I asked for the highest and got 5. The higher you are the better the view and the further you are from the traffic, so unless you have seen the towering inferno recently this is the best policy!
No sky sports on the TV, but if you have sky go on your computer or tablet then you can use the free wifi in the public areas. Unfortunately unless you are a privileged guest, then you've got to pay for it in the rooms.
As I expected, the drinks were expensive in the bar and so was breakfast, but there are plenty of good value alternatives nearby for those not on expenses! i.e.most of us nowadays!!
Overall, a satisfactory experience for me, with the prime objective, a good night's sleep, achieved.

Room Tip: The higher the better in my opinion.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear David A. Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us.
Very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall and that your primary objective of a good sleep prior to your business meetings was acheived. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Kind regards Mark.
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Reviewed March 11, 2013

What a beautiful hotel. It was a pleasure staying there. I cannot even think about anything bad, except mushy peas. Who ever thought of that (yuk). Breakfast was very good, every luxury you need. I do wish the Brits would learn what a over-medium fried egg is though. Other than that, the location was very good, but the traffic at best a pain in the neck. I’d definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Tony-deWit
Mark R, General Manager at Hilton London Paddington, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear BalaShark. Thank you for telling us about your stay at the Hilton London Paddington. The team and I were delighted to hear that you had enjoyed your stay with us. We shall practice on perfecting our over-medium eggs, for your next visit. I am affraid the mushy peas will have to stay though! Kind regards Mark.
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Firstly, I have rated this hotel so highly as it is one of the most conveniently situated city hotels for an airport connection. There are other hotels that are actually attached to an airport terminal but leaving this option aside, if you are traveling in/out of Heathrow, even for an early morning flight AND you are not able to get one of the hotels that are are adjacent to one of the airport terminals (e.g. so that you just walk from hotel to airport), this is the best hotel to stay in and I am including the hotels that are actually so-called 'airport' hotels. Let me explain here why. When you arrive at Heathrow, in order to access any of the airport hotels (notwithstanding the 2 that are actually attached to terminals 4 (Hilton) and 5 (Sofitel) then you will have to take the hoppa bus (likely) or the odd hotel that has its own shuttle). At a minimum, after you get your bags, this will take you between 20-35 minutes, when you take into consideration the wait time for the bus and the drop off times to other hotels before they get to yours. With the Hilton Paddington, you get on the Heathrow Express train to London, which takes 15 minutes door to door (and leaves from all terminals) and once you arrive in Paddington, you don't even leave the station, you go up the escalator, which will be to the right when you enter in the main train arrivals area--after you exit the express, walk straight, go out of the platform area and once in the main hall, turn right and walk a short bit. There will be an escalator that will be just to the front of you going up take that escalator and walk straight. You will go pass a sign for EAT and then through a set of doors, starbucks to your right and then through another set of double doors and into the lobby of the hotel. So from the time you leave the train to the time you are in the lobby it is a 5 minute walk. So if you have a quick trip in London (as we recently did) or even if you have an early flight when you depart or a late one when you arrive, this is so handy and, on top of this, you are not limited to having to eat or drink in overly expensive hotel bars/restaurants. The underground (subway) is right in Paddington and from Paddingston station, you can easily get on the district/circle/bakerloo lines and from there a quick changeover to all other tube lines. As for the hotel itself, the rooms are very nice (undergoing an upgrade), they use great toiletries (Philip Thomas Roth stuff), and it is very quiet. They have a good executive lounge (for those that have gold or platinum cards or who book a business class room) which is on the ground floor and note that if you have the gold/plat or are booked in to a business class room, you can check in the executive lounge. The breakfasts are very good if you get it included in the room rate (otherwise, too expensive). Finally, there is an okay bar area. This is perhaps where the hotel is not that great as the bar really feels as if it is in the lobby but that is a minor issue as there are so many places around to go if you want a drink. Finally, check out could not be easier, drop your key, go down the escalator and be back on the train in under 7 minutes (and grab a coffee on the way at one of the many coffee places in the terminal). Finally if you dont' want to go out or pay the restaurant fees in the hotel, just go back in to Paddington and there is an M&S, Sainsburys and other places to buy food to go, not to mention a sushi bar, coffee bar and lots of sandwhich shops. So really, this is a great place to stay. Besides the bar, the other slightly problem is that this hotel can be expensive so if you know you are coming to London, try to book either in advance OR last minute...I note that another guest mentioned that their experience in a standard room was not great. I have to differ; the standard rooms are more than adequate and I stay in lots of hotels. Yes the exec room is larger, but it will be costlier as well. The upgrades to the rooms, even standard rooms, will make a difference if you are that picky about decor but even the not upgraded rooms were clean, spacious enough, all have tea/coffee making facilities, iron, safe and a flat screen tv and comfortable beds. So a great choice all around....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Mark R, General Manager at Hilton London Paddington, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear CavKA. Thank you for taking the time to write such an informative report on the Hotel and our surrounds. It is a good description of what is around the Hilton London Paddington and I am sure it will be of benefit to many travelers. We were happy to hear that you had enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in London. Kind regards, Mark.
Kigali, Rwanda
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night on business because the location is very convenient for travelling from and to Heathrow on the Heathrow express. You can be from airport to room in half an hour.
Hotel itself is your average business hotel. Friendly and attentive staff and a nice "quick check-out" service.
Unfortunately the internet connection set-up is complicated and expensive. It costs 15 pounds per device (!) for 24 hours. That's an expensive affair if you have multiple phones, tablets, laptop. Come on guys, many people stay at a business hotel for work. Why not make it easier to get connected?
Tray service is 5 pounds, which is not cheap, but I wouldn't mind it if there were better internet options.
Then the recurrent issue of... Plugs. There is 1 (!!) electricity outlet at the desk and if you need another you will have to crawl around the floor and look behind bedside tables to unplug lamps in order to free up a socket.
I probably will not stay here again until they have solved some of these issues. In spite of their convenient location.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Ilse020
Dear IIse020. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay with us. We are in the process of further upgrading our WiFi connectivity in the bedrooms and will have a revamped system in the next few weeks. Whilst a charge wil still apply, it will be very fast, secure and easy to connect. In addition, we do provide complimentary WiFi in our public areas, so this is always handy when quickly accessing the internet to check emails and other activities. I hope that you will make use of this on your next visit. Sorry to hear about the limited number of plugs in the room. I shall review this issue with our Chief Engineer, to see how we might be able to rectify this. Once again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to being able to welcome you back soon. Kind regards Mark.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed here in October 2012 and didn't have the greatest of experiences and hence posted a review of "ok for one night".
I stayed here again recently for one night and was very pleasantly surprised by what a completely different experience I had, I was upgraded and the room was more of an executive type with a study area on the side and it was immaculate. Service was superb, staff were excellent - I really cannot believe this is the same hotel -- location is perfect for the places I needed to get to and of course right on Paddington Station for Heathrow access via the express. Food and service were all excellent and even though you are in a busy part of London the room was quiet.
All in all a great experience and I will stay there again on my next upcoming trip to London.

Room Tip: The executive rooms are excellent
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Mark R, General Manager at Hilton London Paddington, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear cc_KL

Thank you for your latest review. The team and I were delighted to hear that you had enjoyed your most recent stay and that you will be coming back to stay with us again at the Hilton London Paddington soon.

Kind regards

Mark
West Wales
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Yes - its nice. I stayed one night on business and although it was just a quick stay (late arriving - early leaving) everthing seemed OK. Nice big room, very stylish art deco, very clean - well you would expect this for the price. Unlike many hotels, the air con was efficient and quiet which makes a big difference to the sleep quality.

Dear WestWalesHorse

Thank you for your comments on your last stay with us.

Obviously we were all very happy to hear that you had enjoyed your stay and we hope that your next stay will not be as rushed, so that you can further enjoy our hospitality.

Kind regards