“Not for Family or Couples...Just Businessmen”

Hilton London Paddington
Ranked #395 of 1,068 Hotels in London
“Not for Family or Couples...Just Businessmen”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Wanted to stay at the Hilton Paddington for its access to Paddington Station and were just staying for an overnight. Elegant in appearance, superior access to the train station just through the lobby door! But the most congenial were the porters and doorman. Reception seemed unclear or having trouble with English. Restaurant was very noisy with the small business tables adjacent. Service in the restaurant was okay. In the morning, we had a prepaid breakfast but it was buffet again! Ugh! We had been told it was a served breakfast. Just through the lobby and into the train station were so many other options for a delicious breakfast of any kind. And...we didn't get any of our Hilton Honors points because we had prepaid with our travel agent...who got the points???? Convenience to Paddington isn't worth this.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jjhcdm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Helsinki
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have stayed many times in this hotel and of course the location is king if you travel from/to Heathrow. Rooms have been improved and refurnished during the years and you pretty much get what you expect from an U.K. Hilton, an okay stay.

This time however was horrible. I was given a room (sorry cannot remember the number) on the first floor facing a loading dock or similar. There was a constant noise of traffic; lorries and people shouting while working starting approximately at 3am. I am not a light sleeper but rest of my night was ruined. I understand this is a city hotel with some outside noise but make sure you get a quiet room when checking in. Manager on duty promised a better room for me next time.... let's see if their CRM is up to date if I come back...

I still prefer Hilton (even overpriced) against others in the area (Novotel: nice and modern but quite a walk, Mercure: very small rooms, go there only if you arrive very late and do nothing else but sleep).

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, inside the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank krdn-ctlr
Suwanee, GA
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stayed here in September 2012 based on a recommendation from a friend that had recently visited London. I loved it. It was very convenient for us after arriving on an overnight flight --- they seemed to realize how exhausted we we were and our room was ready (and the were fast at check in) at 2:30 in the afternoon. I thought the bathroom was great - huge - and the room wasn't as small as i had expected for London. Very, very close to the Underground.

We didn't eat breakfast in the hotel - it always seemed crowded and we were usually in a hurry to get out - but there are plenty of little bagel shops and such across the street.

As for nightlife, you are just a few stops over from Leiceister Square - which was very convenient because we went out every night!

I would definitely stay here again and I'd also recommend to friends!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank chrissyinatl
Michaelmhwll, General Manager at Hilton London Paddington, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Chrissyinatl

Thank you for staying with us recently and thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay on Trip Advisor. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much, especially as you came to us as a result of being recommended, and that you found the hotel so convenient for what sounds like an enjoyable time in London. I hope that we can welcome you back soon.

with kind regards

Mike Williamson
United States
Reviewed September 22, 2012

What you come to expect from Hilton - nice hotel, well staffed, with rooms nicely appointed. The staff is a bit 'stiff' but I suspect that is the British way. You don't get the warm and fuzzies but you do get excellent service.

The only negative was the maze that was the path to my room....it did make me wonder what i would do in an emergency. So much so that I made it a point to locate to two closest exits to my room and counted the doors between my room and the exits. Just in case.

Other then that little paranoid item, I recommend the Hilton if you want to be located near excellent public transportation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank prs2007
Dear Prs2007

Thank you for staying with us and for telling us about your stay on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed staying with us and that you recommend us to others. I know that it is a difficult line between providing the right level of service whilst appearing relaxed, we will need to try a little harder at the latter ! The hotel itself was built in 1854 and hence like many older buildings in London it is not a uniform shape, but as you found, I can assure you that all areas of the hotel are more than well served with fire exits together with all precautionary equipment as is required by UK law, Hilton H&S policy and London Fire brigade requirements ! Thank you again for your comments and I hope that we can welcome you back on your next visit to London.

with kind regards

Mike Williamson
Mountain View, California
Reviewed September 22, 2012

This is a Hilton and you get what you expect. Rooms cleaned and very well equipped. I should say that it is a shame that the WiFi is so expensive, but I guess is something endemic in London (Hiltons, Novotels, etc.)
It is a bit pricy, but you are paying being in fron of Paddington station, which it is very convenient if you are going to or coming from Heathrow Airport. You also are very close to many places, including Hyde Park, restaurants and of course Metro Stations to go almost everywhere in London.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Monterey, California
Reviewed September 20, 2012

As far as location goes, this hotel couldn't be more adequately sited. Atop the Underground (three lines: District, Circle and Bakerloo) and with National Rail's Paddington Station at its back one can easily travel between Heathrow (via Heathrow Express) and within London. It is expensive, however (hence the 4 rather than 5-star rating); most likely due to said location. The staff was more than helpful and after a week's stay recognized us so that we almost felt like family.

Room Tip: As of this writing, there is all-night construction going on at the vehicle entry to Paddington Stat...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank HonoreH
Paris, France
Reviewed September 19, 2012

The hotel is of classical style, well kept which is probably a challenge in older buildings.
The staff is amiable, maybe a bit 'stiff upper lip' at the front desk. Furniture impeccable, room and hotel clean throughout.
I received prompt responses to my requests for bathrobe, temperature increase in my room, or fixing my lock.
Yet ... room locks seem to be a problem in this hotel. Or all reviewers reporting this problem had the same room ;-) . Each time i had to sweep more 30 to 50 times to eventually get the green light. Usually a staff would find me struggling and offer help. 3 changes of key and a maintenance visit later, no improvement. A pain...
I may have been lucky with the room. It was a room for disabled people, as the bathroom (discrete) equipment showed, but for that matter it was very large, bedroom and bathrooom. The room on the 6th and highest floor was the inner side and very quiet.
I found the amenities in the bathroom satisfactory. I enjoyed a coffee maker and kettle for tea.
Proper selection in the minibar also.
Flat screen TV but selection of channels too limited. To be noted : Ipod station
For a hotel in this category, breakfast is ok, not top notch.
I have not had time to try more services ...

Lots and lots of choice for food in the area.
The address is convenient for me, because close to work. I suppose it is a convenient also when getting in the city from Heathrow (Express train).

I was on a company negociated rate. I have to say that with that amount of money or even more so for the standard rate, i would look at other places.

Room Tip: Ask for room on inner side for quiet - the street (Praed) is very busy
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business