“Hilton with a "Chic" twist”

The Trafalgar Hotel
Ranked #361 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Tucson, Arizona
“Hilton with a "Chic" twist”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

There is no denying that location is what sells this hotel. Close proximity to public buses and the tube, not to mention nearby shops and restaurants makes this an ideal place to stay. For a first timer to London, location proved quite helpful for discovering nearby attractions and access to simple things such as a Barclays ATM machine. Arrived a bit early before normal check-in time, so had to leave my luggage with the concierge attendant. Although this Filipino looking concierge attendant proved helpful with the bags, he seemed impatient and when asked for directions to nearby Chinatown, directions and explanations were not clear. However, the other staff during checkout were helpful and attentive to resolving issues. Hallways leading up to the rooms were dimly illuminated for the chic modern feel. Rooms were nicely appointed with typical amenities. Just a reminder though. Be careful and mindful of the local telephone call rates. Coming from abroad, I used the in-room phone and made three local calls to a mobile number. To my surprise upon checkout, I ended up with a bill that amounted to over 60 Pounds. If that is not robbery, I don't know what to call it. In the end, was a pleasant stay in central London, especially for Hilton Honors members. Just stay away from that bloody in-room telephone!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Jumbojetlee
Agustin C, Guest Relations Manager at The Trafalgar Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Dear tracy1256,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor,

At The Trafalgar we take all our guests ´comments very seriously as we value their personal opinions and feedback and I really appreciate this.

Should you wish to come back to London please do not hesitate to contact me directly,

Warm Regards,

agustin.cervo@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2014

It was our 1st time staying in London and this hotel is fab! it is central to sight seeing and roof top bar is amazing, cocktails are great, a bit pricey but it is London so expected it to more expensive. Breakfast is ok, LO staff are very friendly and helpful, can't wait to stay again :)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor,

Thank you very much for all the good feedback, we will very happy to welcome you back to the Trafalgar !

I am at your disposal for your future visits,

Warm regards,

Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Our stay at the Trafalgar Hotel was simply a relaxing pleasure. The staff, from concierge to housekeeping to reception to that delicious breakfast were beyond our expectations. When my disabled Veteran husband needed extra padding on his bed the housekeeper came immediately and made everything just perfect. When we needed additional info on the sites in London, we were provided help in every way. As I used the free WiFi, I was checked on to make sure I had everything I needed. I must mention the breakfast. The full English breakfast was so good. They had so many choices at breakfast that anyone would be satisfied. The Dining staff was polite, engaging and always at the ready.
Of course the view of Trafalgar Square is absolutely lovely. The National Gallery is in walking distance even for a person with difficulties. If you want a snack supper the Metro Tesco is only steps away. My favorite souvenirs shops are also only steps away and as you walk there you have the view of Big Ben and Parliament. Go around a quick corner and you are on the Mall and can see Buckingham Palace.
Yes, we love London and staying at the Trafalgar Hotel made our time there a wonderful experience. We hope to stay there again in the future.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor so the nightlife on the Rooftop bar with the amazing view never bothered us...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear NDnorthernfolks,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor,

I was glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our location allowed you for make the most out of your stay in London.

I am at your disposal for your future visits,

Warm regards,

Rome, Italy
Reviewed July 11, 2014

When recently in London on a short business trip, I stayed for 1 night in this hotel on Trafalgar Square. The location is great and very easily reachable by public transport, and within easy walking distance to parts of the city with restaurants, theaters, bars, etc.

Staff at this hotel was in general reasonably friendly, but a bit more friendly would have been better. Also speed of check-out could have been better. Staff were also reasonably professional, but could have been a bit more customer focussed and more accommodating in answering guests' queries, and even more so if they are HHonors members.

The general hotel areas look quite nice, but the room itself was a bit of a let-down. The room was on the 6th floor with a pretty ugly view out of the window. The room itself was very dark and a bit smelly, but since I was quite tired I couldn't be bothered this time to ask for a different room (will do that next time though if I stay here again). The room and bathroom appeared to be very clean, but the bathroom felt too sterile and could have been decorated much nicer. Also some of the furniture in the room felt quite dated. A nice twist though were the little snacks waiting in the room. Ah, and the view from the roof terrace is fantastic!

Breakfast in the (very dark) basement room was ok, but nothing really special. Staff was very friendly though in the breakfast area and the selection of food was ok and of good quality.

This being a Hilton hotel and presenting itself as a hip, boutique, kind of hotel, I had expected more, especially from the room itself. Also the price for this hotel was quite high compared to what is being offered (even taking into account the general high price levels in London).

I may stay here again, but sure hope I will get a better room next time and will be more positively surprised.

Room Tip: Ask for a change of room if you are assigned a non-fresh smelling room
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank peri&rini
Dear peri&rini,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the shortfalls you experienced during your stay,
every point you raised in this review have been addressed with the relevant Heads of Department.

I understand you may have lost faith in The Trafalgar Hotel although I would like you to reconsider as I am certain we can regain your trust.

Lidingö, Stockholms Län, Sweden
Reviewed July 9, 2014

First the good news...the location is blindingly good: right in the heart of Trafalgar Square. Unless you have come to London for a squint at suburbia, you can't really ask for a better location. Reception is funky, public areas are chic and check in was swift, polite and issue free. Now the bad: I have a pet grip so forgive me: WiFi is $22 a day. In 2014 charging for internet is unforgivable and is a hallmark of American branded hotels ( Trafalgar is part of the Hilton chain). Given I arrived at 10pm and checked out at 8am and all I wanted was to pick up a few emails, it's daylight robbery. You can use wifi in the lobby however for free. The rooms was OK but nothing groundbreaking. There was some flaky paint in the bathroom and I am pretty sure the wardrobe came from IKEA. Bed was comfy however and no complaints about the room in general. Modern and functional. Breakfast was a 7/10. A good range of the usual suspects ( eggs benedict or porridge for the health lovers) and the service was fast and polite. At $375 per night this is mid range in London. A couple of nights here if sightseeing, you will not be disappointed but if you are staying a week, you may tire of the place quickly.

Room Tip: High up at the rear.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Graham W,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor,

I am glad to know that you find our location to be very central.

Your feedback is very important for us.

Should you wish to come back to London please do not hesitate to contact me directly to add complementary Internet on your reservation.

Warm Regards,

agustin.cervo@hilton.com
UK
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Stayed here for one night with my husband. The hotel is modern, we had a super deluxe room which was spacious and had a great view. The only downsize being the drab wooden furniture, probably more my own taste ! The staff were all very attentive and friendly. The best thing about the hotel is the location, very easy to get around on foot.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Michaela_Taylor_,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel in Tripadviser.

We value your feedback about the rooms.

I am at your entire disposal for your future visits,

Reviewed July 8, 2014

The location, rooftop bar and service were great. The room was very average. Do not expect any view from your room (half of the rooms had an interior view, windows are small). You will not see much of Trafalgar Square. The breakfast was marginal at best and served in a cave in the basement. Location was perfect and walkable to many of the main attactions.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank ChiHub
Dear ChiHub,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor,

I was glad to see that our location allowed you for make the most out of your stay in London.

We truly value your feedback about the room and the breakfast experince.

I am at your disposal,