“Great location, good rooms”

The Trafalgar Hotel
Ranked #348 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Great location right at the very centre of London. Parking is awful so best arrive on public transport or taxi. Rooms are good size, clean and good linen. The bar in the ground floor is very noisy so beware if you want a quiet drink. Staff are ok but again not great. This place sells on location alone though and rightly so. Not the cheapest but also not extortionate.

Room Tip: Facing off the main roads at back of hotel for quiet ones.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for The Trafalgar Hotel

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Our trip was actually June 2011, but thanks to some handy procrastination I'm finally getting around to this review and the earliest date is August...not that it matters much since I doubt the hotel changed much since it was new.

We stayed at the Trafalgar two summers ago during a trip to a few places in the UK. The location couldn't be better, with easy access to Trafalgar Square (obviously), the parks, the horse guards, the Thames and of course about every line on the Underground.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay here. The room was clean and comfortable, and the trendy vibe was appropriate and attracted a good crowd. Our only complaints would be the fact that the rooftop never seemed to be available when we wanted to use it, and the breakfast was fairly underwhelming for an expensive mid-London hotel.

Those are relatively small trifles though and we'd stay here again if we get to London in the future--and hopefully we will soon!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2013

The hotel’s website promotes the view and luxury. The small roof top bar was reserved most nights by corporate events making it inaccessible at premium times. I understand the hotel using it as a resource and revenue stream but they need to pick if they want to use it to generate hotel guests or corporate events but they can’t serve both.

The service was mediocre at best so you can’t count on luxury service. For example, we went three days without new soaps and when I did request some I was overwhelmed by little bottles all over the vanity. I just wanted fresh soaps each day. The staff could be heard talking and yelling to each other all over the 6th floor each night while they broke down the roof top bar moving supplies and trash from the roof top to the 6th floor storage. I asked for my shower drain to be serviced and it never was. I had two rooms and only had the problem in one so I know it was a mechanical issue not a user issue. An overall inability for the staff to show empathy.

The location is spectacular. The location is time saving, convenient, and exciting.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the 6th floor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Stephanie R, Assistant Front of House Manager at The Trafalgar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Dear HammondShaun,

I would like to thank you for sharing your honest feedback with us and the Tripadvisor community. We strive to deliver outstanding customer service at all times and it is disappointing to read when we failed to do so.
Unfortunately due to the weather and high demand, we have to occasionally limit access to our rooftop bar. I will forward your feedback to our Food and Beverage Manager, who will take this into consideration when scheduling future functions. We have also discussed the noise disruption by our staff members in the evening which will not reoccur in the future.
It is especially concerning for me to read about the problems you occurred with our service staff. I have spoken to our Head Housekeeper and discussed your comments with her. She has since forwarded this to her maids and made them aware of your perception. I have equally handed over the problem with the shower drain to our Maintenance department which will rectify the situation immediately.
I would like to reassure you that this experience does not reflect our usual service standards and I hope that we will have a chance to welcome you back again in the future.
Please do not hesitate to contact me personally with regards to any assistance you may require.

Best Regards from The Trafalgar,

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Our arrival was a bit rough since there was no staff to assist with luggage, but other than that, it was a fine experience. We enjoyed the upgraded room. Walking distance to Picadilly Circus and across the street from Trafalgar square.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Humboldt M
Stephanie R, Assistant Front Office Manager at The Trafalgar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Humboldt M,

Thank you very much for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I am sorry to read that you had an unpleasant arrival experience, and I would like to reassure you that this does not reflect the service standard that our hotel strives to achieve. I am happy to read though that we were able to convince you of our services during the rest of your stay.
I hope that we will be able to welcome you soon again at The Trafalgar.

Best Regards,

Reviewed July 22, 2013

It's difficult to have better location if you want to visit London. You're literally in the center of the city.
Rooms were comfortable and clean, service helpful and nice.
We're basically just sleeping there, spending whole days enjoying the city, so I can only say that beds were good, bathroom clean.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Bartosz13,

Greetings to beautiful Malmo!

Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear that the hotel was functional as well as comfortable and you were able to enjoy your sightseeing tour through London.
I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me in this regard.

Best Regards from The Trafalgar,

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Brilliant location but I found the staff to be pushy with offering extras. I was expecting a lot when booking a deluxe room but it was very standard. The air con was good but the bathroom looked tired and the toilet seat was broken. Going in the lift was like a 70's disco.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear HumptyWFC ,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us and other Tripadvisor users. I am sorry to read that we were not able to fully meet your expectations. As the only non-branded Hilton hotel worldwide, we offer a slightly different experience in terms of decor and atmosphere and I apologize that this was not to your liking. As we strive to make every guest feel welcomed, I have discussed your feedback regarding our staff with the respective team members. I have equally shared your remarks regarding the room you stayed in with our Engineering department which will look into solving the issues in the respective room immediately.
I hope that this experience does not deter you from coming back to The Trafalgar. Should you require any assistance in this regard, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Best Regards,

Reviewed July 20, 2013

This hotel takes its name from Trafalgar Square which it overlooks. The location makes access to almost everything in London easy - many theaters and restaurants on foot, the London Eye and Houses of Parliament on foot, even Oxford St on foot (but if you are shopping, you may want to save your feet for all the walking you'll do in and between stores. THe rest of London is available by tube from the Square or the ever-present taxis and busses. The hotel itself is, as another reviewer stated, Quirky. The rooms are very nice and spacious. The hallways are very dark because they are (not) illuminated by purple lights. The lifts are like a tiny disco lounge with reflective walls, music and changing lights as you ascend and descend. The breakfast is quite good and the rooftop lounge a really nice place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear JP8334687,

Thank you very much for your lovely comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad to read that you headed your comment with our most significant asset- our location. As the only non-branded Hilton hotel we offer a slightly different experience in terms of decor and atmosphere as you have described in your review. I hope even though you found it quirky, you still enjoyed it.
I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

Best Regards from sunny London,