“a first class hidden gem in central london”
Review of The Bloomsbury

The Bloomsbury
Ranked #70 of 1,081 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 30, 2012

On a recent trip to London for a concert we stayed at the Bloomsury Hotel, very central for all transport facilities and within walking distance to entertainment i.e. theatres, cinemas and museums [the British Museum is in the same street]. The room was more than adequate for our needs with good facilities, the staff efficient, helpful and friendly. Breakfast menu was excellent with good choices at reasonable price. Try it and enjoy it.

Room Tip: Our room was 422, quiet and with air-con, convenient for all hotel facilities.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Beccy G, Management at The Bloomsbury, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

Thank you for writing such a lovely review following your recent stay here and for recommending the hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in London.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,463)

Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed at the Bloomsbury in November for a long weekend. Very comfortable property, fantastic location. One complaint -- room was a tad cramped. This a great location in London, so I get it. But there really was no usable closet space. If we'd been there for business or for a longer time that would have been a problem. (I assume the higher room categories have more room.) In any event, everything else was great. Staff was nice & helpful, very quiet. We'd definitely stay there again.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for posting your recent review following your stay in November. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and apart from the lack of wardrobe space you found everything else to be great. It is fabulous to know that you will returning to us next time you are in London and I would like to assure you that each room is slightly different in size and shape due to the nature of the builiding and within each category we do have rooms with larger wardrobe space and I would be very happy to ensure next stay you are allocated a room with such a wardrobe. Therefore please do contace me on beccy_gunn@doylecollection.com so that I can personally look after your booking. We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

I stayed recently at The Blomsbury for a short business trip in November. It wasn't a particularly great experience and I did not feel I received good value for my pounds. Although I found the location to be convenient and quiet, the hotel itself is very dated, with public areas looking old and stale with very bland decor. The restaurant and bar are in the basement and feel accordingly dark. The lobby is unattractive by any measure. My room was very small and dark with a view looking into a wall. Service was not bad and they tried hard, but minor annoyances marred my visit. Twice my in room safe failed and I had to call for help which took over 30 minutes to fix.
In short, I can't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Beccy G, Management at The Bloomsbury, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Thank you for posting your recent review following your stay in November. Naturally I am very disappointed to read that you feel that the hotel does not offer great value for money and the pubic areas are dated. I would like assure you that we are continually working on all areas of the hotel with our Design Team and indeed this year the Lobby has been partially renovated to enhance the elegance of Lutyen's design of the builiding and the decor is therefore very much in keeping with the heritage of the hotel which I appreciate is not to everyone's preference. I am sorry that you had a problem with your safe and apologise for the time it took for the team to arrive to resolve the issue. As I am sure you can appreciate not all the hotel rooms are able to offer great views as we are a central London location but all our rooms do have natural daylight and either look out over the streets surrounding the hotel or into one of our natural light wells. I very much hope that you will consider staying with us again and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel should you decide to do so.

Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

Lovely hotel, we were in a suite to accommodate our 10yr old with us and the room was lovely. Location brilliant to tube, to shopping, to theatres and connecting to airport expresses. Great for dining and nightlife in greek street so close. A few issues with service in the hotel restaurant and breakfast restaurant and getting the sugar refilled in room with nespresso machine. Worth another try we think.

• Stayed: December 2012

Thank you for posting your comments following your recent stay here. I am delighted that you enjoyed the Suite and found the location so perfect for your needs. I would however like to assure you that we are working on the points you have raised regarding the service in the restaurant and with Housekeeping. I look forward to welcoming back next time you are in London and should you wish to contact me regarding this stay or a future visit, please do not hesitate to contact me on beccy_gunn@doylecollection.com

Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Ideal location for anyway in central London.
Friendly & helpful staff
Luxurious hotel
Warm & comfortable
Beautifully clean
Great facilities
Quick to check in & out-was able to check in 2 hours early.
Would reccommend and will be staying here again!!

• Stayed: December 2012
Beccy G, Management at The Bloomsbury, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2012

Thank you for posting such a great review and we are delighted that you found every aspect of the hotel to be so perfect for your needs. We all look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in London.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

This hotel was really charming. The lobby area is chic, warm and open. Staff are all very lovely and accomodating. The size of the room was alright but maybe on the smaller end of things (not spacious but decent). The room was modern and up to date where needed to be - bathroom and technology (tv, ipod dock). The location of the hotel is great and it's really worth splurging a little extra per night to be in this kind of location. 5 mins from Soho, 5 mins from covent garden, 5 mins from oxfird circus and 1 min from the tube station. Love it and would go back!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for writing such a lovely review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the location to be so perfect for your needs. We all look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in London.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

I recently got back from a wonderful first time trip to England. We stayed at The Bloomsbury Hotel for a week. We had a great stay there!

In planning this trip, it took some researching to figure out what area to stay in while in London, since the city is so large. My son was studying there for a semester, so I looked for something that would be in the area of his school. It was a great choice - we ended up having what felt like a central location. Of course, I checked Tripadvisor and from the information there/here settled on The Bloomsbury Hotel as my first choice. I contacted the deputy general manager before I booked to see if it was possible to stay there and have two beds - everything I saw online indicated only one bed per room. I was traveling with my sister and had no desire to sleep in the same bed with her! The deputy general manager was very helpful as we emailed back and forth - she answering my various questions and letting me know that they could give us an unzipped king room. I booked a deluxe room and thought we were all set.

The lobby and reception staff were consistently welcoming and helpful. Our room (502) was nicely appointed, but very small. We had one king bed which did not appear to have been separated other than the beds being sheeted separately. I went back down to reception and they sent someone up to take a look at our non-separate bed problem. Unfortunately, the person they sent up did not understand why we had a problem with the way the bed(s) were. She kept saying they were two beds, even though there was no space between them. We put her out of her misery and took care of it ourselves. The two twin beds that made up the king were on wheels, so we moved them as far apart as we could given the space in the room. That night we ordered room service, which was very nice and we slept soundly. The hotel is very quiet.

The next morning I talked with reception again. They had said we could take a look at a suite and decide if we would like to move rooms. We were happy enough with our room - as I mentioned, it was quiet and although very small, was certainly workable and very nice - but thought we should take a look at the suite and see what the difference would be. And, oh!, what a difference! The suite (room 414) was wonderful! There was so much more space. There was a small hallway where the wardrobe was, then the bed area, desk/tv area, sitting area and very large bathroom with claw foot tub, separate shower, separate toilet room, and double sinks! How could we not move rooms, when we could have this lovely space for the same cost as our deluxe room?! We changed rooms and when asked, we said they didn't need to hurry to get the bed unzipped. The staff is very responsive though, and there was a harried housekeeping person ready to switch the king bed to two twins almost as soon as we got to our room! She made up the beds and after she left, we once again separated them as far as we could, moving the nightstands in between the beds for more space. Ultimately, I was so happy that we were able to switch to a suite! Not only was it so much better to have the additional room (and the double sinks for two women to get ready!), it was really nice to have the two comfy chairs and ottoman, etc. because we ended most of our nights hanging out in our room with my children watching tv/movies, having drinks and appetizers. This would not have been comfortable in our original room.

A continental breakfast had been included with our stay. They would seat you at a table, ask what you would like to have to drink and ask if you wanted white or brown toast. Then you helped yourself to things like different cereals, mushy cereals - oatmeals and porridge, a few fruit choices, yogurt, meats and cheeses, pastries. My sister loved the roasted red peppers. We were always served six half slices of toast - even when I said I only wanted one. I hated to see that waste everyday. Our last night there I found out we could have our free breakfast as room service and only pay the delivery fee of 4 GBP (and tip). That helped us out our last morning when we knew we wouldn't have enough time to go down to the restaurant for breakfast. I wish I had known this earlier.

Housekeeping: someone else here had written about the overzealous housekeeping staff and I agree. On the one hand, it was nice. As I mentioned earlier, they were very quick to respond to our issues about the bed situation in both rooms and in the second room, the lighted mirror fell apart in my hand when I moved it and someone came up right away and fixed it. On the other hand, it was irritating to have someone knock at the door every night asking if we wanted turn down service and one day we were so off schedule, they actually called us to see if they could service our room. I feel like it would be our own fault if we didn't get out of our room in a timely manner and because of this our room wasn't serviced. I wish there was a system to request no service. Just give me some extra towels and glasses and I'm good. I don't want to feel like I'm inconveniencing the housekeeping staff. Also, there was one day my sister stayed in the room and the cleaning staff person was down on her hands and knees cleaning the bathroom floor, but I could tell the sink counter hadn't been cleaned. I think she was rattled by someone staying in the room like that - so much so, that she forgot her key card for the lights. We also found things (a pound coin, a pill) when we moved the beds and a pair of rolled up socks when we moved the chairs, which left you wondering how well the carpeted areas had been cleaned.

The lights/power outlet situation: I wish someone had told us more about the lights when we first checked in. We got to our room and maybe we just didn't understand, but the lights go out if you don't leave your key card in a little slot for this near the door. I can appreciate this as a energy saving measure. It would help to have a little instruction note at the key card slot for this. Also, as much as they are trying to save energy, there didn't seem to be a way to turn off banks of the recessed lights - it was all or nothing. There were no power outlets in the bathroom. The bathroom had good lighting and yet you couldn't fix your hair in there. There is one outlet and I had to ask someone what it was for - apparently it is for a shaver. If you want to use the hairdryer supplied or use your own hair drying/curling/straightening appliance, you have to do it by the desk where there is a nice big mirror, but the lighting isn't nearly as good as it is in the bathroom. They did have a row of outlets and I appreciated that one of the outlets was a USA one. We also had a iphone/ipod/ipad charger on the desk, which was helpful.

Overall, we had a very nice, quiet, comfortable experience at The Bloomsbury Hotel. I recommend it to others. I thought the location was ideal. As others have said, the Tottenham Court Road tube station - under remodeling in October - is not far at all. There is a small convenience store very close to the hotel where you can get things like water, juice, snacks, magazines, postcards (and stamps) with a post box right outside of it. There is a Sainsbury's not too far up Tottenham Court Road that we went to frequently. When you first go in the store, there is a lot of to go type food and as you move farther in there is small sections of beer/wine/liquor, produce, dairy, and so on. The British Museum is close by, there are many pubs, sandwich shops and other restaurants in the area - or a tube trip away.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for posting such a comprehension review following your stay with us. I am delighted that we were able to help you with all your questions prior to arrival and that you found the staff consistently welcoming and helpful. I would like to assure you that we do listen to all comments made and are working on several of points you raised to ensure this does not happen again. I would like to thank you for recommending the hotel and we all look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in London to visit your son.