“Close to everything”

Ranked #25 of 843 Specialty Lodging in London
Cairns, Australia
“Close to everything”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Good location and very friendly helpful staff. We had a private room with ensuite which whilst looking a bit tired was comfortable and was cleaned and serviced daily. There were two lounge areas and food was available at a good price - the breakfasts were good value at 4 pounds and included a pastry, cereal, yoghurt, fruit, tea/coffee and juice. The only negative was the laundry which only had two washing machines, one of which was out of order. We did however find a laundromat around the corner so all was not lost.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mandy P
James C, Manager at YHA London St Pancras, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for your review! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. I'm sorry to hear you felt the room was tired. We do plan to give some of the rooms a fresh coat of paint to freshen them up. I'd be grateful if you could e-mail me at stpancrasdeputy@yha.org.uk to tell me which room you stayed in so I can make sure that this happens. I am pleased to report that we have now had the broken washing machine fixed! I apologise for any inconvenience this caused you during your stay.

I hope we can welcome you back soon!

Deputy Hostel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
swindon
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Having stayed in this hostel several times always in private room not dorm, i have to say that now rooms are in need of basic maintenance and cleaning. Dripping showers, poor water flow as shower head needs descaling, first room not cleaned and had wood covering pipes broken off. Toilet not cleaned and bin not emptied. Moved me to another room on request, tap dripping in that one! Check in took ages. Some menu items not available, prices for food good, variable quality. Main advantage is where it is situated. Previous stays were fine. Staff not as cheerful unlikemost other yha premises.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank olls294
Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed that you had issues with both maintenance needs and cleanliness. I can assure you that we work tirelessly to ensure that bedrooms are immaculately clean before guests arrive and we carry out a daily check of our whole property to find maintenance issues before they arise. Similarly, our showers are descaled professionally be a specialist contractor.

We invest a lot of time in recruiting people into our team who are passionate about providing great customer service and producing tasty meals for our guests. It is disappointing that you have not experienced our usual high standard.

I would be grateful if you could contact me directly at stpancrasdeputy@yha.org.uk so that I can investigate what went wrong during your stay.

Many thanks,

Naples, Florida
Reviewed October 16, 2013

If you are looking for someplace affordable that is very clean, well managed and has a close proximity to central london, then this is the place to be. It has bus stops and the famous King's Cross train station from Harry Potter. This is also across the St. Pancras International which caters to the Eurostar trains going to Paris and Belgium. It is practically crawling distance (that's how near it is from the hostel). You can't go wrong with this place. I'm actually a bit hesitant to give a good review so that people won't come here, that way I will be assured of a vacant room in the future for my use. Hahahaha. Kidding aside, This place is worth it. I will not think twice of coming and staying here again. It is highly recommended.

Room Tip: they have a room good for 4 people with its own bathroom.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Cliffy930
Thank you so much for your amazing review. I'm delighted that you had a great stay and that you decided to leave a review. I hope you didn't actually crawl to the station though. :)

I hope you enjoyed your time in London and we hope to see you again soon!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Very handy location, right next to St Pancras and public transport. The rooms were big and clean, and beds were very comfy. It felt more like a budget hotel rather than a hostel, and there wasn't really a friendly traveller atmosphere but otherwise it's fantastic to stay at.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Magicpies
Thank you for the great review. I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay and you found the hostel comfortable and to a high standard. We're working hard to come up with some hostel activities to help fellow travellers come together...we strongly believe this is what hostelling is all about! We've just started a Movie night every week which is proving to be very popular. We have so much more planned over the coming months, so watch this space!

I hope we can welcome you back soon. If you have any great suggestions of things you'd like to see us do, please feel free to e-mail me at stpancrasdeputy@yha.org.uk.

Toronto
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I arrived late to the St Pancras YHA after a delayed flight. Upon check in, I was served by a miserable desk clerk who gave me no orientation to the hostel (she may have just been tired...it was midnight after all). But I found that really affected my stay, as I encountered a few difficulties that could have been avoided had I been given a brief orientation when I arrived. The hostel was incredibly clean, and it was handy to have washrooms in the room shared between only six people. They offered breakfast which was great. But I wouldn't recommend this hostel if you want to meet people and interact with others. It seems more like a hotel in that way. It seems like it would be a perfect place to go with a group of friends.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Lauren_skye
Thank you for your feedback. I am really glad that you had a comfortable stay and you found the hostel to be of high quality.

I am extremely disappointed that you didn't experience a lovely smiling face when you arrived! We invest a lot of time in finding the right people to join our team who are genuinely passionate about providing great customer service. I expect that you probably experienced a different level of service the next morning!

You'll also be pleased to hear that we are also planning a number of activities to help bring fellow travellers together...which is, what hostelling is all about! We've recently launched a weekly movie night, which is already popular and we have so much more planned. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to contact me at stpancrasdeputy@yha.org.uk.

Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

This is our second stay here in 2 years. Not youngsters although young at heart. All ages frequent this accommodation so we did not feel out of place. We had a room with bunk beds and ensuite bathroom. The room was plenty big enough with plenty of storage and beds very comfy. It did have s space heater but ours did not work properly. Only set to one temperature which was cool. You do need to bring your own towels or you can hire them. The staff very friendly except one that served us in the coffee shop. It just seemed a chore for her to smile. Not really all that difficult. The coffee shop come restaurant is pleasant and good for light meals. If catching the eEurostar you cannot get a better location

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Mezdavies
James C, Manager at YHA London St Pancras, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

I was sorry to hear about the problems with the air handling unit in your room. I'm pleased to report that since receiving your feedback, we arranged for all of the units throughout the building to be serviced.

Similarly, I was disappointed to read that you felt that a member of our team was not very friendly as this is not the typical feedback we receive on our customer service. It is important to us to recruit people into our team who are customer focused with a passion for travel and London.

I hope you enjoyed your time in our amazing city and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here twice now before heading to Europe with my friend (via Eurostar)
So this is a great location having St Pancras literally over the road!
The rooms are basic but clean. We got a room for the 2 of us and ended up sharing with a man who didn't have the best personal hygiene!

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for your feedback! I'm delighted that our location was ideal for you and your partner.

I would be grateful if you contact me directly regarding your recent stay. We do not offer mixed sex/ co-ed accommodation at YHA London St Pancras. Similarly, if you'd booked a private room then you would not be sharing with any other guests.

If you could e-mail me at stpancrasdeputy@yha.org.uk with some further details, I would be only to happy to investigate what happened during your stay. I hope you enjoyed your time in London despite any problems you might have had.