“Feel like a real Londoner”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Hampstead Village Guesthouse
Ranked #145 of 572 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 8, 2013

If you want to live in a wonderful old house, in one of the most interesting bohemian neighborhoods in London, a few blocks from the heath, the Hampstead Village Guesthouse is for you. (If you are a fan of motels and hotels, don't bother.) This is a unique house, still lived in by the proprietors, and each room still carries the vestiges of well-lived lives. My husband and I had the blue room, complete with Brazilian paintings, Dutch knick-knacks and a lovely blue ceramic bathtub, which we lingered in whenever we wanted to relax.

Room Tip: I liked staying on the second floor, which seemed more private and there was a lovely view down onto...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed April 6, 2013

My experience of this guesthouse was awful.
I stayed in the guesthouse for roughly eight days, over a period of three weeks.

--The hosts were cold, taciturn, rude, and did not even greet me or my mother when we arrived.
--The bedding (sheets, blankets, pillow) is old and did not look clean or washed.
--the towels are old and scratchy.
--The guesthouse, shockingly, has NO cancellation policy--which means that if you book (as my mother and I did) a room for four days and then are forced to change your plans they are completely inflexible. I was forced to stay in the room myself, without my mother, while she was at a different hotel. I found this totally unjustifiable.
--The showers and bathrooms (at least of the two rooms I stayed in) are very small; they don't provide adequate soap either.
--The rooms are overpriced--I stayed in a twin room, smaller than most rooms in an average Hilton or other motel. It cost 110 pounds a night--outrageous for a private home. I would have expected 60 pounds a night, even in Hampstead, which is not in the center of London (takes 15 minutes on the Northern line to get to Euston).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank JustinK639
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I was spending the new year with my French husband and 18yr old son, and was lucky enough to come across this wonderful guesthouse. We loved everything about it...just everything. I don't understand what all the negative comments are about. I honestly didn't feel like I was in a guesthouse, I felt like I was at home. I'll certainly be back and will definitely recommend.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank rosainparis
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This quirky little guest house is beautifully situation and just a short stroll from Hampstead Village. My room (actually garden hut for single occupancy) was delightful, old fashioned and cosy, but the shared shower-room (access via the garden to the main house) left much to be desired. There was no fresh soap, lots of other people's bottles, hair etc. and it was tiny. In my view the accommodation (single hut) was overpriced, particularly since one has to traverse the garden in dressing gown to get the loo/shower-room, but on the other hand it has a certain charm which many modern guest houses lack.

Room Tip: Ask about bathroom/shower-room. Check extra charge for credit card.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Sue C
Reviewed October 9, 2012

My wife and myself can confirm that we really enjoyed our stay in your mother's Hampstead Guest very much.
The old village of Hampstead is a familar place to me. It was a pleasure to have an accomodation that was 100% Hampstead inside and outside.

A place, so close to the center of Hampstead village and the Hampstead underground station is ideal for enjoying Hampsted and London.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Martin K
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The great advantage of this guesthouse is it's location in a lovely part of London that is just off the high street in Hampstead Village; it is near to the underground and the village has good amenities. The guesthouse itself is in a peaceful, residential road so no traffic passing by at unearthly times in the morning, as in Central London! I love the eclectic nature of the house and the fact that it is someone's home and so feels like a home -from-home in London. Breakfast is prepared fresh and to your requirements.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank CelticTraveller310
Reviewed September 22, 2012

The location is very good and the rooms have atomsphere. But don't expect more than that! The bathrooms are tiny, towels and linens aren't clean and the rooms are damp! Although the owners did some igenious work in the rooms to offer all you could be needing during your stay (warm water bottle, iron, tea, etc.), you won't find anybody when you need it - not even to order some breakfast! For the high price they're asking, you should be able to expect much more than that!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo