“plesantly surprised”
Review of Morgan Hotel

Morgan Hotel
Ranked #81 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 5, 2010

we were given the top floor which had one large bedroom with one doublebed and 2 singles. The apartment came with a nicely furnished living room and kitchnette. It was very clean, new and comfortable. The bathroom even had heated towel racks. The breakfast was served only when we were seated with even a choice of eggs and a few different breads and cheeses. It is right behind the british museum, on a quiet street, and we walked back safely from two different west end theatres which took 10 mins[briskly]. The hotel was the perfect beginning and end of every day. Thank you tripadvisor!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank smiles36
There are newer reviews for Morgan Hotel

Reviewed November 30, 2010

This is my first attempt at writing a review but I felt compelled to share my experience as this was my first trip outside of the U.S. The place was surprisingly easy to find as we turned the corner out the tube station walked a couple of blocks and there it was. We buzzed the door and were showed to our room in the 2nd floor facing the street. The room is small but functional. The same could be said for the bathroom and shower. The bed wasnt overly firm. The room was cleaned every day while we were there for four days. The 2nd day that we were there they did try to come in at 9am as we were still a little jet lagged from our flight, but it was no big deal. Mr. Ward who ran the breakfast downstairs was delightful and so was the food each morning. We had eggs, sausage, bacon, mushrooms and cooked tomatoes every morning. There was also toast, juice, cereal and fruit. It was a great start to every day. The tube was so close and we were only a few stops away from Trefawlgers Square, Parliament, and the Abbey. The British Museum is right around the block and so was my favorite pub, The Museum Tavern.
All in all, this place wasn't too flashy, but then it doesn't pretend to be. And that made it just right for us.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank schwartz225
Reviewed November 24, 2010

I had stayed here on a previous occasion and all had gone well, but the day before I was due to return for two nights during November with my room confirmed by the hotel, I received a call from the manager stating that regretfully, due to a mix-up in bookings, my reservation had been cancelled and they could no longer accommodate me.

As I was overseas at the time with no internet access, he offered to ring around to find another room, but nothing was available at such short notice. I could not change my travel plans and arrived in London the following day where I spent some time anxiously searching. I finally found a room at a much higher rate, but remain disappointed by the whole experience.

Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
5  Thank Member048
Reviewed November 15, 2010

Great little hotel conveniently located north of Soho near the British Museum. The free internet in the hallway was very helpful. The room was small but comfortable, and the bathroom was totally modernized. My room was in the back on the hotel and very quiet. Slept like a rock.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank sueolo
Reviewed November 14, 2010

Overall, good for its class, though not as magical as some reviews imply. Location is its best aspect, as it is on both the Northern and Central Tube lines. The bed was comfortable, breakfast good, though the bathroom was unheated.

The manager is sincere and well-meaning but handled my situation badly, I think. I had booked my room 3 months in advance, and stipulated a quiet room. They assigned me a room off the street, but apparently one month before I arrived, the neighbouring restaurant began employing a very noisy fan adjacent to the room from early morning to 2:00 am.

The manager said the fan was a problem for him, and admitted that he should have, at least, alerted me to the problem before my arrival even if he couldn’t move me to another room. I said he could square it with me by reducing the rate, and he offered a reduction from 85 to 80 pounds a night. I considered that much too little a reduction to make good the broken promise, so I found another hotel a few blocks north (Gower Street Hotel) which gave me the same 85 pound rate for the same quality room, in fact a double rather than a single.

I had been angry for a few minutes when I first discovered the fan, but the rest of the interaction was done in a polite and friendly fashion. However, I think the manager did not do right by the guest in this case – contrast this with my experience with the Hotel Brittanique in Paris the following week, where the hotel, faced with a similar situation, went the extra mile to make it right. Everybody makes mistakes sometimes, of course, being human; it is how they then handle them that makes the difference.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank danlev
Reviewed November 13, 2010

I used to live near Bloomsbury in London and earlier this year when I was a homesick I booked a room at the Morgan hotel. On arrival I was upgraded to a fantastic apartment - CLEAN, QUIET, COMFORTABLE, SPACIOUS AND WARM which was great as it was cold and snowy outside! There were tv's both in lounge and bedroom, lovely bathroom, a small kitchen, delicious cooked breakfast and helpful staff - I was grateful after a long flight from Australia to have somone carry my suitcase upstairs for me!
The Morgan Hotel is in a great location - next to The British Museum, walking distance to Oxford Street and Covent Garden plus there are buses and tube stations nearby that go to many other fun places.
This was always be my first choice to London whenever I visit.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank nemi10
Reviewed November 2, 2010

I booked this hotel after having read the reviews on Tripadvisor and I can say that we were not disappointed. The location is second to none and the West End is in easy walking distance. The room we had was at the front of the building so it was a little bit noisy in the early morning but in the night it wasn't too bad - but it is London after all. Apart from this the room was spotlessly clean and there was even air conditioning if you got too hot! The room was small compared to mainland Europe but again this is something that one can live with on a sightseeing trip. The staff were unbelievably friendly; one instance of this was that the television didn't seem to be working one morning (apparently a fuse had blown somewhere downstairs) and they had it fixed in minutes. All in all a very nice small hotel in the centre of London and we will visit again in the future.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple