“Just great!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #79 of 572 London B&B and Inns
Germany
“Just great!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2004

So how to start off, well as many people already said The Morgan Hotel is a really nice place to stay while your visiting London. We stayed there 5 days and it was really great. Our room was clean, tastefully decorated and for English-(London)-standard really big. When I made my reservation I asked for a room at the back of the hotel (thanks to some users that have recommended this here on this board) and so we got a quiet room where you could even open the window to let in fresh air (where else in London can you do this?). By the way, you get fresh towels every day which is also something you can't expect in European hotels. The staff of the hotel is friendly and very helpfull. The English Breakfast which is included in the price is great and it really fills you up for some time. Finally the location of the hotel is also just great. The British Museum is just nearby, the Oxford Street is just about 5 walking minutes away and you can reach all the other sightseeing "things" by bus or tube within 10 to 15 minutes. After all I can say that "The Morgan Hotel" is one of the best places to stay in London and that I will return for sure!!

7 Thank munichlion2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2004

Review based on a 4 night stay in early April '04:

Like the last reviewer, I was swayed to stay at the Morgan based on the positive reviews I read on TripAdvisor. Unfortunately, those reviews didn't match my experience.

The service I received from the staff was marginal. They were courteous, but not as friendly and as hospitable as earlier reviews indicated.

I was traveling solo and was given room 8 (on the second floor, facing the street). It was clean and functional, but very small. The traffic noise was also bothersome especially early in the morning. I also found the selection of restaurants in the area somewhat disappointing; I routinely found myself taking the Tube to other areas of London that offered better dining options.

On a positive note, the English breakfast served in the basement each morning was tasty and filling.

For the money, location, and amenities, I'm afraid the Morgan doesn't quite stack up. It's unlikely I'll stay there again.

• Stayed March 2004
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Palmer, Alaska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2004

We chose the Morgan based on reviews on this site and the links to Fodor’s, and we were not as impressed as many previous readers. This was our first trip to England, and our second hotel in London, and while I’m glad we left our previous hotel, the Morgan was so-so. First of all, TripAdvisor better update it US dollars price range—we paid 98 pounds a night for a twin (2-bed) room—that’s over $180 USD. Although the proprietor was pleasant, we got none of the friendliness raved about. He checked us in, got our bags up to our room and down when we left, and asked us how we wanted our breakfast cooked—that was the sum exchange in a 3-day stay. The best part of the hotel was its proximity to the British Museum, where we could have spent our entire 3 weeks! The room was small but efficient, with a large lovely window (the only one with a view of the 3 hotels we stayed at in London), and the breakfast was fabulous (but I tired of all that protein very early in the trip). We had a room safe and an adequate closet, and the beds were very comfortable. However, I agree with an earlier reviewer that we could have done better, even in that area and that price range.

• Stayed March 2004
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
9 Thank Ted R
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2004

We stayed at The Morgan Hotel for 5 nights in March. It came highly recommended on Fodors' website. The hotel is a small 14 or 15 room townhouse style, plus several apartment sized units down the street.
Most if not all of the main building units have been refurbished in the last year. Our room was on the top floor and there were many stairs to climb - no lift. This was not a problem for us, if it is for you, request a lower level room. One benefit - the noise level was very quiet. The room was large enough, the king sized bed was very comfortable. The in room bathroom had been recently remodeled. Small but functional with hairdryer. Everything was spotless and kept that way by daily housekeeping. The proprieters were cheerful, friendly but did not waste much time with chit chat. We found the eggs cooked to order breakfast a good way to start the day. This isn't the Ritz, but for 95GBP, breakfast and VAT included, we found it to be a great value.
Location is very convenient. We would not hesitate in recommending this hotel and would certainly return again and again.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2004

This March my husband and I spent 4 days at the Morgan Hotel. It was recommended to us by my sister-in-law who had stayed there last year.
We were given a newly redecorated room with a remolded bath. Everything was very clean. We would stay at the Morgan again, we liked the location. The hotel is near two tube stations & we could walk to Covent Garden restaurants, to the theater district, and to shopping along Oxford Street. Unlike a previous poster, we enjoyed breakfast very much. Breakfast was served in a cheery paneled room. Everything was cooked to order rather than being buffet style. We could select any combination of eggs, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, toast, orange juice, or grapefruit juice. There were a couple of cold cereals offered, plus coffee , tea ,and hot chocolate. There was also hot oatmeal available plus fresh oranges, bananas, and apples.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member