“Spend your money elsewhere”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Jenkins Hotel

Jenkins Hotel
Ranked #813 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Suffolk
“Spend your money elsewhere”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

Where do I start? A smile doesn't cost anything but they were in short supply during my visit. I had to ask the receptionist to speak up (and I am not hard of hearing). The single room was extremely cramped because 3 beds had been made up and only one bedside cabinet to put anything on - which made making a cup of tea difficult as the kettle was on a tiny shelf on the other side of the room. I had to hold the cup (saucers are not supplied whilst pouring the boiling water. No room for large suitcases. I presume the radiator between the beds was to alleviate the dampness in the room. Don't know why there was a ladder outside my window (did not make me feel safe as a woman staying on her own). The pillows were too large for comfort, and the dado rail made sitting up in bed uncomfortable. Before 6 am, I was woken by a loud crash, which sounded like someone falling down the stairs or out of bed. The towels in the bathroom were small and well used (bearing in mind this refurbished hotel only re-opened 5 days earlier). As I went to breakfast, I wrote "clean me" in the dust on the sideboard in the hall. There was very little on offer for breakfast. You had the choice of orange juice or no juice; fried egg or no fried egg; nothing vegetarian; warmish baked beans; cherry or strawberry yoghurt; cornflakes or muesli and to top it all, only white toast. The manageress only offered to go and buy some brown bread when I created a fuss and another woman also complained about the lack of choice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank tortoiseandthehare
Mark0brien, Manager at Jenkins Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
I am sorry to read that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. The Jenkins Hotel has recently just re-opened following a major renovation. The room we allocated for you was a triple room for single occupancy. It has plenty of space to keep your luggage as all the beds have a space underneath them to store suitcases, bags etc. All rooms have tea and coffee making facilities in them. We do not put saucers on the wall mounted hospitality trays due to weight limitations, safety first!
As the hotel had only opened the previous day we still had a small team of builders in house touching up the paint work and making sure everything was in good order before they left the site. It was unfortunate that the builders had just sanded the wall above the sideboard on which you wrote’ clean me’ I think perhaps it would have been helpful had you told the receptionist that there was building dust on the sideboard and we could have had it cleaned off.
Your rude behaviour in the breakfast room caused many raised eyebrows and comments from both staff and guests. My Housekeeper explained to you that our supplier had not delivered brown bread the previous day and she would go and buy some for you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

We love this hotel. If possible we will always use it for our trips to London. We travel a lot, and this room was the cleanest and most well kept we've visited so far. The personnel was kind, correct and warmhearted. The breakfasts were traditional english breakfasts. Yum, yum. With sausages, bacon, scrambled eggs, baked beans, yougurt, toast, preservatives, cheese, real tea, real coffe.

And the location. Close to the British Library. The rooms overlooking the beautiful square or the interesting roofscape, as out room did. Yes, we love that hotel.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jakob W
Huddersfield UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed here for one night in October, would never stay here again. Room 1 was very difficult to access, any older person with any mobility problems would find access well nigh impossible if they had any luggage. Only one bedside table and light, "wardobe" or a cupboard wouldn't close properly if clothing was hung up in the normal manner. Bathroom a disgrace, very narrow space between bath and wall and the wall covering was certainly not clean, a health risk clearly.
Can only confirm what other reviewers have said about this room, not fit for purpose. If the manager claims that renovations are ongoing it's not an acceptable reason for the quality of the accommodation, rooms such as room 1 should not have been let to guests in the state is was in.
Made our feelings clear when we left and were told to write to the manager, did so twice and have never had the courtesy of a reply or even an acknowledgment.
Had earlier stayed at a nearby Travelodge, larger room, spotlessy clean bathroom, all facilities and all for a third of the price we paid here
pandm huddersfield

Room Tip: Avoid room 1
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PandMhuddersfield

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Carlingford, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

I've been meaning to write this review for months and never got around to it. What usually happens after a bad experience is that unless you write something straightaway you let it go. However my blood stil heats considerably when I think of this place! My wife daughter and I stayed here last May and paid £210 for an ensuite room! What qualified it for "ensuite" was a bathroom removed from a dodgy caravan and placed in the corner of an already cramped bedroom. No lift of course and the stairs are narrow and steep. How this place even got recognition from the relevant authority to call itself a "hotel" is a mystery.
If stuck buy a sleeping bag and settle down under a bush in Hyde Park where I guarantee you you will be a lot more comfortable!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank David K
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

Staff were very polite and breakfats was yummy. This Hotel seems to be run by the Judd Hotel accross the road so you are alone with a key. Staying somewhere for the first time and needing the toilet in the night and not being able to find it can be a pain so if you are not ensuite then locate this first. Also the shower isnt marked and its somewhere upstairs. Room 3 is next to the boiler so its not so peacefull. I would stay here again as it was good value but I would choose an off-suite again.

Room Tip: choose ensuite
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Wells, Somerset
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

I would like to say avoid this hotel because of the décor or service like some of the other reviewers but it is simply not possible. We did not get that far.

We advised that we would be arriving around 2200hrs we actually arrived at 2145. The night porter told us we were to be in room 1 and then realised he did not have a key for it. After a little playing around he managed to find a key which when we attempted to open the door failed miserably. Simple, we thought, wrong key. The porter came over after much shaking of the head and tried a variety of his own keys; eventually the master key let him into the room only to find it was already occupied.

He then advised us that there was, in the immortal words, ‘no more rooms at the inn’ and that he would try and find us something somewhere else. After much ringing around he did locate a B&B for us which was far from satisfactory but at that time of night beggars could not be choosers.

While waiting for a room to appear another guest in the hotel was saying that he had stopped at the Jenkins for the previous 15 years and had thought it was a great place to stay – until this visit and launched into a litany of woes, of which I cannot verify the veracity of, but I do know he was demanding a refund and moving out to another more functional hotel.

Intriguingly the porter apparently (or conveniently) had no telephone numbers for the hotel managers/owners for either of us to complain to. However he did kindly say that we would not be charged for the room we were not able to stop in!

In this day and age of computerised room records this should simply not happen; it is at the very least completely unprofessional.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dacs
Northallerton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

First of all I collaborate everything the previous reviewer from room 1 had to say; I was allocated room 3 on the ground floor with similar Harry Potter characteristics as room 1, my toilet was the one behind the secret door except when I tried to get in the light didn't work so I had to wiggle the bulb and pray. My cupboard (sorry room) had a single bed-headless bed located parallel to the wall opposite an open fireplace, just past the large TV balanced precariously on a wonky lamp table. When I squeezed past the bed to reach the kettle I found the cup with the handle broken off and one of the UHT milk carton's was open and contained a yellow grunge; I planned my evening out using the one thing that did work the Wi-Fi ! I returned from my evening out only to find the access to the toilet now blocked by a portable radiator behind the secret door, the toilet was locked but with no apparent occupant! In the morning a had a luke warm shower in the cubical with curled up wall covering that was located on the 1st floor. On the positive side, the room was warm and breakfast was OK - good service but stale muesli and how long were those yoghurts going to sit on each table getting warm? If like me you are on a budget then go to an IBIS and get the tube but don't stay here unless you're the boy who lived!

Room Tip: Don't book room 1 or 3, perhaps the others are better!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business