Jenkins Hotel
$215
$188
galahotels.com
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 28, 2011

Wgen writing this review i am thinking of The Jenkins as a bed and breakfast and not a hotel because it has so much more personality and warmth.

I regularly stay in london with work, and usually have to pick a hotel from an approved list, costing 3 times as much as this. And those hotels are all the same, marble, glitz, glamour and bathrooms to die for. Yet they all lack anything that makes me want to return. They are soulless.

When we arrived at The Jenkins, we were greeted by a very friendly chap. We got there at just after 11am and our room was not going to be ready til 1pm, but he was happy for us to leave our bags with him so we could get on out and explore london. We got back to the hotel at 11pm to see our room. We had a triple, which consisted of a couple of v comfy single beds and one fold out. As we are all over 6ft the fold out wasnt the best in the world, but it was fine for the couple of nights we were staying.

The bathroom was amusing - it was built in the room as a little self contained pod. It operated great - although it was a bit noisy when flushing.

The location of the hotel is worth noting... 10mins walk from kings cross, st pancras and euston, in a beautiful and peaceful green square. The nearest tube (russel square) being 10 min walk down the road. We ate twice at a local restaurant and can recommend the pizza and the seafood platter.

The breakfast was a very lovely full english, orange juice and cereal. Tiny dining room, reminded me of holidays with mum and dad when i was a kid.

Would i recommend the hotel? Oh yes. But i would only recommend it to people who would see it as a great and friendly base to explore london from, people who will have a chat and a laugh with the owners. I would not recommend it to anyone looking for glitz and glamour - you need to spend a lot more money than the £40pp that we spent in london to get that. Btw i didnt spot a lift, so not sure it would suit anyone with walking difficulties.

Well done guys, we made our stay nice and comfy. Thank you.

Room Tip: We were on first floor, liked iur room, it was big and airy with great view of park and own balcony.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 25, 2011

There is a quirkiness about the old building and the staff which I loved. They are welcoming and friendly. When I arrived they were busy cleaning and I mean cleaning, I saw someone on their hands and knees scrubbing a bathroom floor. The hotel was spotless. Single room for one night, just fine, small but comfortable and the only downside is that there was an unpleasant smell from the drainage hole in the shower, which bothered me and it would be worth investigating the drains. A comfy bed, best night's sleep for ages actually! The room overlooked the little park, there is very little traffic so it's so quiet. The room had tea making equipment, a fridge and a safe. An old telly with a few channels but that doesn't bother me at all. The wi-fi worked non stop and is useful when you are a business traveller. Small dining room, cosy, whatever you ask for is instantly cooked and brought to you. It is in an excellent area for eating out, great mix of different types of food, good pubs and pub food too, and for walking to the tube and the British Museum and Euston and Kings Cross.

Room Tip: you can't go wrong as it's quiet wherever you sleep but there is no lift, so avoid upstairs if you have a lot of luggage or can't climb stairs.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank thequiettraveller52
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Over the last twelve years I've stayed at the Jenkins five times. Each time I have found Felicity and Sam to be very welcoming, friendly and helpful. The rooms are all comfortable and well cleaned.
If I return to London again, I will stay at the Jenkins again; it's near The British Library, The British Museum and St. Pancras Station. The rest of the neighborhood now feels like home, to me.

But it has to be said that the WiFi leaves a great deal to be desired; if that's important to you, you won't be happy. The TVs need to be upgraded and not many stations are accessible. At least on the lower floor, reception is not very good.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms on a quiet street.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Paula H
Reviewed August 21, 2011

There were 3 of us (1 adult, 2 teens) in our little room, and although it was tight it didn't really matter because we weren't in London to stay inside a room. They aren't the big North American chain hotel rooms we're used to, but who wants the same thing every time. Our room had three single beds (a tad on the firm side), a small tv and a tiny shower/ toilet stall. The room and building were clean and well cared for. You must be able to climb stairs carrying your luggage as there is no elevator. Full English breakfast was served in the small dining room at the bottom of the house, and although we didn't have to wait for a table, a couple of others did. The hosts appeared to work very hard to keep things moving quickly in the morning though, so they didn't wait long. There are only about 3 rooms per floor, so noise didn't seem to be a problem even though the hotel was full. The location was great; on a quiet circus, very close to the King's Cross station. Over all, a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Didnt actually stay there as although they took three days to respond to email enquiring about accommodation when I phoned to reserve and pay for the one they said was reserved the lady I spoke to said they had none - this wasn't that long after receiving the email. The lady was offhand and the three plus day delay in responding to enquiries did not seem to bode well. Might get the opportunity one day of seeing if it really is as good as they claim....

Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo