Harlingford Hotel
$288
$279
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewscartwright gardensbritish museumrussell squareno lifttennis courtsquiet crescentsingle roombreakfast roomst pancraskings crossbreakfast was excellentbreakfast staffthe upper floorsflights of stairseuston stationbasement roomlight sleeper
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I recently complained on these pages about the decline of breakfast from its previous high standards - so it's a pleasure to say that on a visit in November things were much improved. And everything else was fine - I've never had the problem with noise that other visitors report.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Richard S
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I have stayed at a number of the hotels in this very conveniently located Georgian Crescent over the past few years, and this is definitely one of the best of them, in my opinion. There is just one feature of the hotel to which detracted from my stay, and that was the insistence that I had to pay for my entire stay on arrival. In fairness to the hotel, guests are informed that this is the hotel's practice, so it doesn't come as a surprise when you check in, but it still slightly spoilt my stay. I tend to stay in several hotels every year, both in Britain and overseas, and, in my experience this practice is most unusual. Moreover, given that you have to give the hotel your bank card number when you book, as is the fairly universal custom nowadays, I wouldn't have thought that the hotel would lose out financially in the event of guests not paying their bills on departure.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Pantile
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We booked the Harlingford for a long weekend in November, our annual shopping trip and a West end show. So glad we choose a family run Hotel, a warm welcome, room good, staff helpful and the best English breakfast I have had in a hotel for a long time. A charming Hotel we would recommend to any visitor to London. Will be booking again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank alex m
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We have been staying in Cartwright Gdns for decades, favouring Jenkins for its warm welcome. We were shocked by the change when its owners sold to the Judd, and the on-line photos do not make a favourable impression. The Harlingford is where we have moved our allegiance to. We prefer twin rooms, as the double beds leave too little space round them. Storage space can also be a bit limited. I do not understand the carping reviews, as I have always found the level of service personal. I do miss the in-room fridges Jenkins used to provide, but staff are only to happy to store items in the kitchen fridge. The hotel could not be more convenient, and Bloomsbury still has a community feel.

Room Tip: If you have a problem with noise, ask for a room away from the pub. If you visit in the winter and do not like an overheated room turn the radiator off.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank marina d
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We stayed at the Halingford for several days in the middle of the summer. Although there was no A/C, fans were provided, which is not always the case at hotels this age, and was definitely appreciated. The rooms are of a very practical size - we were on vacation, so we didn't spend much time in the room, but we never felt cramped. The decorations are stylish and the room was very clean. We couldn't get wifi outside of the common areas, but, again, I find this is typical and not much of a nuisance. The location is great; there are a lot of good pubs and coffee shops nearby as well as Russel Square, St. Pancras, and Euston Tube stations. This was especially nice as we could not only take the tube anywhere in London, but we were able to walk to station to take the Eurostar to Paris for the day. If you are looking for a hotel with character in a convenient location, this is a good choice.

Room Tip: Request a room off the lowest floor to avoid Tube noise. I would've rather carried my bags up a few flights.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple