“Great hotel, but is the breakfast in decline?”
Review of Harlingford Hotel

and 1 more site!
Harlingford Hotel
Ranked #554 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I've used this hotel for many years and think it is so good I'm almost reluctant to publicise it. Everything is clean and comfortable, to a standard that represents outstanding value. Recently for the price of a single room I was given a splendid double with a view over Cartwright Gardens. The breakfast has always been excellent - until this week, when there were no menus, every expense appeared to have been spared on the cooked breakfast, and the fried egg showed signs of having been fried some time earlier. Let's hope this is a one-off.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Richard S

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Well located for restaurants and the Tube service with both St Pancras and Euston rail stations 10 - 15 minutes walk away, dependent on your fitness. I used this hotel for a year or so when working in London a couple of years ago when the service was consistently good throughout that time. I stayed for one night last night at very short notice due to a poor experience elsewhere. It was reassuring to find that the high standards provided by this family run hotel have been maintained. For a three star hotel it is in my view extremely comfortable and well appointed with a moder decor which remains sympathetic to the building. There is a comfortable lounge with a real fire which is welcoming, especially on cold winter evenings. Being a listed building in a Georgian crescent it has a narrow stair case between floors and there is no lift which should be borne in mind. But, other than that, it is extremely clean, the staff are in my experience friendly and welcoming and the breakfast is good value with an excellent full English available, or smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. I almost hesitate to recommend it as it may make it difficult to get a room at short notice in the future!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank R G
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I was a satisfied, returning customer at this hotel until a few days ago. I booked a room for two nights but due to severe weather in Amsterdam, my flight was cancelled by the airline. Unfortunately, the airline canceled my flight after the refund period at the hotel. Directly after the airline canceled my flight, I contacted the Harlingford hotel to notify them I would not be staying at their hotel and kindly asked them not charge me on the basis of force majeure (The force majeure being such an amount of snow, the airline had to cancel all flights that day to London heathrow). The hotel manager replied that only (and I quote) "Acts of God or Nature" count as force majeure while snowfall heavy enough to cancel successive flights was (quoting again) "not by any means" a force majeure. Therefore they had to charge me for one night. That's not a way to treat returning customers.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Btorb
Harlingford, Manager at Harlingford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2012

On first reading this review I was going to dismiss it as a crank piece of fiction, however, I realised that it was deliberately intended to mislead people who wanted a honest review of this hotel.
London did have a smattering of snow a few weeks ago but it was LIMITED to Stanstead and Luton only. Even then only a few flights were disrupted for two hours in the morning. Heathrow was NOT affected in any way. This is checkable.
His claim is dishonest and deceitful, on the day of his booked arrival, this person sent an email stating that his airline had cancelled his flight and that we should not charge him the first nights stay as it was a 'force Majeure', there was no mention of snow or Heathrow.
I explained to him that according to the terms of our CONTRACT he was cancelling within the 48 hours prior to arrival and that it was impossible to resell the room at such short notice.
I charged him BECAUSE he cancelled within the non-cancellation period, not for this fictitious snow.
That is why ALL hotels worldwide have a cancellation period which ALL guests agree to when making a booking.
Our part of the contract is that we have a room available on the day booked with all facilities and prices agreed. If a guest arrived and we had no room for them, then we would be at fault and responsible.
It is a contract between two parties where they both know their liabilities and responsibilities.
As to the 'force majeure' in my email I explained what such an event was, as apparently he had no idea what it was and that education is a fine thing and one should not stop learning.
In the past year I have had maybe a dozen cancellations within the 48 hour period and I have judged each one on its merits and reasons, sometimes I have reduced the charge to cover admin costs and on a few occasioned waived it completely for compassionate reasons.
In the hotel industry I know of no hotel, in London or the USA or anywhere, that accepts a 'force majeure' as a reason to waive a legitimate booking charge.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

2 nights on business trip and had room on top floor. Heating wasn't working properly and wifi very average but didn't have the energy or wasn't in room long enough to give them opportunity to put these right. Breakfast is great

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 26, 2012

London in early September this year was A-W-E-S-O-M-E! Not a drop of rain during our 4 days there, how lucky is that?! Even luckier to find HARLINGFORD Hotel that served FRESH, MADE-TO-ORDER BREAKFAST included in the hotel rates! My favorite was the smoked salmon & eggs! The colorful flower baskets that welcomed us at the patio -- and the entire row of boutique hotels at Cartwright Gardens -- made for a vibrant stay in that area of London. Best part was having access to the U at every direction -- especially to ST. PANCRAS STATION for our speed train ride to Paris, just around the corner from the hotel. We chose the family room in the highest floor with 3 separate beds for 3 ladies traveling together. We were warned of the steep top stairs & no elevators -- but we are fit for it. Not recommended for those who are on the larger side because it is NARROW besides being steep, with VERY TINY bathroom - shower stall was super tight space! We did like the faux-wood floors up there instead of carpeting.It had two windows to allow fresh air though neither had screens so some bug/fly or two came & went. Having no A/C in the hotel & no ceiling fans either, those windows helped when opened. I have to mention that the hotel help, the crew of Filipino ladies and gentleman were incredibly professional & helpful to us! Don't expect fancy here. It is traditionally English and may need updating soon, with respect to furniture in the common areas and bedrooms. If management reads this, I hope they will consider supplying those newer models of portable floor stand-up fans in their rooms during the summer months. Phew! It got stuffy in there.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Very conveniently located near King's Cross/St. Pancras, in a charming crescent. Rooms are rather small but functional and clean. Breakfast and breakfast staff outstanding. Downstairs lounge very cozy. Friendly owner greets guests at the breakfast room on a Sunday morning - very nice touch.
Only criticism? One of the receptionists is rather rude and desinterested; the other one makes up for it by being friendly, courteous and professional.

Room Tip: I'd recommend the front. The back has some venting pipes/A/C unit noise which the rude reception...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Encouraged by the positive TripAdvisor reviews of this hotel, I decided to stay at the Harlingford for a few days in September. Unfortunately, as an individual traveller, my experience of this B&B has been subpar, largely due to the fact that I once again ended up in the usual London microscopic single room slash former broom cupboard.

My room was located on the top floor (fourth). The stairs up to the third floor are okay, but from third to fourth floor there's a steep staircase so narrow that my suitcase was actually wider than the stairs. Getting my luggage to and from my room was a nightmare, especially as there was no hotel personnel to help me.

My room was not nearly as clean as other reviews would suggest. The tray with tea-making facilities was covered in dust and there was a dead fly on it. The teaspoon had not been washed. I could tell from the dried red drops on it that someone had last used it to make fruit tea.

I stayed in a standard single room. Initially I had wanted to book a superior single room, but I changed my mind upon finding out that both of them were located in the basement (where you can hear and feel tube trains moving).

My room, however, was so small that I now believe it would've been better to stay in the bigger basement room, despite sound issues. There was no space to put my things, so I kept them on my bed during the day and put them on the floor when I went to sleep.

Based on other people's reviews, I suppose this hotel can be great if you're staying with someone else in one of the bigger rooms. However, I don't believe the Harlingford is a good choice for solo travellers.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo