“Should be great. ...it's a let down”

The Tophams Hotel Belgravia
Ranked #964 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

I read the reviews after I'd booked a great deal with booking.com. I rang the hotel to check as if the rooms still hadn't been refurbished I'd cancel .
I was assured all was good by Sean.
Upon check in the receptionist noted my conversation with Sean and reassured me that if the room wasn't good just to let him know
We got room 210 with a shower door that wouldn't close a bathroom that had flooded staining the bedroom carpet and a water damaged and stained ceiling
We moved to room 204 and were offered complimentary drinks.
Room 204 had water damaged ceilings damaged or missing handles and a shabby bathroom
Its such a shame as this could be gorgeous but its badly maintained. It doesn't fit the description of deluxe boutique hotel
Twice we had other guests opening our door
Twice the fire alarm sounded
On returning from a night out another receptionist didn't look up from the desk to acknowledge us. Not welcoming and certainly not security conscious
Great location , cheap deals , ok breakfast, nice public areas.
What do i expect ? I like cleanliness , maintenance, attentive staff , privacy and security. The basics at any price.
After all these years I've learnt a lesson. Next time I'm on a budget I'll use a Premier Inn.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jayne G
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about us on Tripadvisor.

My team are working very hard at the moment to ensure the hotel is of the highest standard and although many of the recent reviews have shown we are heading in the right direction I am aware we still have work to do.

I know you were disappointed but we sincerely hope we will be able to welcome you back to Tophams in the very near future and demonstrate how much things have improved

There are newer reviews for The Tophams Hotel Belgravia

Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

2 night stay, the room was clean and comfortable, which was lovely. The breakfast, however, was pants. Cold beans, horrendous hash browns, and nothing but fat on the bacon (full English is charged at £19.95 on menu). The staff were moody too.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ash2089

I have noted your comments about breakfast and service.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We were booked to stay at the Colonnade Hotel near Warwick Avenue, but at the last minute we were changed due to a electrical fault, and were advised that accommodation had been found at the Tophams Hotel in Belgravia. Having quickly checked the reviews, we were a bit dubious, however, for the sake of one night, we decided to chance it. What a great decision!!
The hotel was welcoming and friendly, and stood for everything that our original hotel had offered. Tophams was in a nice quiet area of Belgravia, which is a pleasant change for staying in London. 2 minutes from Victoria, it was very easy to find.
The rooms were very nicely presented, and clean. The only downside was the lack of bar staff on Saturday night, and strange dance music being played in such a quiet hotel. It didn't really detract as we decided to take the short walk to Grosvenor gardens for a drink.
I would definitely stay again as it has a great location, and is only 5 minutes walk from Peggy Porschen Cakes which does some of the greatest Cupcakes known to man.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JonKemp76
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Booked through late rooms, perfect location, staff extremely polite and helpful, room very comfortable, continental breakfast was good. Dont know what people expect in central London but we loved it (maybe there are a lot of people out there who just love moaning).

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Bazz-Sue22
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Reviewed February 21, 2014

I would strongly advise people to not go to this hotel - I requested a double room as I got to the room it was clearly noticeable that they do not do basic maintenance. There were holes in the wall, the plumbing was appealing so when I had a shower it flooded the whole bathroom. This room was Mews 6.

The customer service was shocking - not only did the key cards seem to open a majority of rooms, I had some random guy walk in to my room and the staff did not even know I was there even though I booked in advance. When I went to complain about the room, the receptionist did not know what to do, instead, advised me to go to bed (back in a flooded room with electrics brilliant idea). On multiple occasions she asked me to tell her what to do in this situation. The other member of staff on duty just stared blankly at me and did not even say a word. In the end I had to settle for a worse room with a shared bathroom (they did not even have the decently to tell the other couple that were sharing the bathroom that we were now using it).

To make this situation worse, I have emailed info@tophamshotellondon.co.uk
and I have still not had a reply

Worst hotel stay I have ever experienced. Poorly managed would advise people to stay away.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Katie S
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Don’t go there really I mean it don’t there are plenty of Premier Inns in London for a similar price with nice clean rooms where things work!
On check in with four colleagues from work instead of the double rooms we had booked we were offered a family room with one double bed and two singles as if this was a really good offer. I like my colleagues but not intimately so we declined and asked for the rooms we had booked.
Check in was tortuous with most things done with paper rather than on a computer and it took longer than I have ever experienced to get four rooms which had been pre-booked and pre-paid.
We were all in the main building the lift of which stinks like an old mop left in the mop bucket for a month. My first room was tiny and I mean tiny doing a circuit around the bed required you moving sideways. The television had fallen off the wall and was on a table and but the bracket was left on the wall and worst of all there was no shower on the wall just an attachment in the bath. The paint was peeling off the walls.
I rang reception to be told to come back down. When I got down they were unable to change my room to one with a shower as they didn’t know which ones had one. So I waited for 10 minutes until someone went up and checked the rooms.
The second room was still small but had a shower. The wallpaper, bed cover and curtains were lovely but as my Dad says you can’t put lipstick on a pig and call it Kate Moss. Handles on most cupboards and the shower were falling off, the carpet was badly stained, the paint was again peeling off the walls (I suspect there is a major damp issue), the bin had not been emptied from the previous occupant and the heating was reluctant to start. I had arranged to meet people for dinner so abandoned any attempt to change rooms again. I had no hairdryer so asked at reception on the way out to be told they would try and find one (which was on my bed when I got back).
Check out the next day was done by a man so disinterested in me and my stay that I just left without giving any feedback. Don’t stay here there are many more nice places to stay in London which won’t rip you off and don’t smell badly and there is nothing redeeming about the place at all. There is a bar but it is effectively a couple of tables behind reception. Walk around the corner there is a lovely little place called the Plumber I think. Horrible place staffed by people who know it is horrible and so don’t even try to care.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Izzyk
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I stayed here with a friend one Saturday night after getting a finding a room on a late deals site. The location was perfect distance from the train station and situated on a fairly quiet street. I was welcomed by friendly staff albeit told about my room fairly hastily. First impressions of the room we were given (Mews 1) seemed good; a fair sized room, well appointed, spacious bathroom, very comfortable beds etc. However on closer inspection, there were a number of niggles, both bed side lamps didn't work, there were stains on the carpet, a number of light bulbs didn't work in both the room and the bathroom, the hairdryer was prone to overheating, a VERY noisy water system in the morning. Overall though, not bad, and the majority of the issues were not too much of a bother.

We had a continental breakfast included in the price of the room. I would not have been happy to have paid for this, it was one of the worst breakfast's I experienced. We were in a rush, and therefore did not have time to voice our concerns. The staff were not very informative about what was included, it was implied that you could only have the choice of cereal or fruit and was only made clear that both were available when asked. There was a nice selection of tea, coffee and fruit juice, and toast and croissants were brought to the table. The toast however was merely warmed bread so much as toast. I asked for muesli which seemed to have come from the end of the packet, and the so called "fresh fruit" on the menu was disgusting tinned fruit. All in all, not a good breakfast.

Overall this hotel for the price we paid was good value and good place for us to rest our heads, I would not however, have been happy to have paid full price. I would return if I needed to stay in this area again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Amy B
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor and I taken on board your comments.
We are currently working very hard on an extensive refurbishment programme as well as re-training our staff.
We want to ensure guests at Tophams enjoy their stay and want to return.