“Never again to this hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Tophams Hotel Belgravia

The Tophams Hotel Belgravia
Ranked #954 of 1,086 Hotels in London
crete
“Never again to this hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

It was actually a terrible experience from all aspects. We stayed to room 303 from 28.12.13 to 3.1.13 two adults and our son 2,5 y.o.
It is an old neglected hotel. On arriving they told us that they upgraded our room to a better one. The upgraded room was small and the maids were putting the baby cot when we entered the room. There were internal stairs to the bathroom extremely dangerous for our 2,5 y.o. son.

I gave at the reception 50 pounds as a guarantee but on the departing day the receptionist told me that she could not give me the money back because the manager had the key of the safe and he was out of the hotel. She told me that she would deposit the money to my credit card, and I asked her to email me when she would do it. Until today 5.1.13 she has not email me.

The bedroom lamps were not functioning. I went to the reception to inform them. A guest in front of me had the same complaint. "we are waiting for the handy man. he will come tomorrow" they told us the day we arrived (28.12) but on the 30th the lamps were not functioning and a gently boy at the reception told me that they are waiting the handy man! Until we left on the 3.1.13 the lamps had not been fixed.

There was an internet corner with one pc but the staff was working there sometimes!

The reception staff was polite expect for one Asian looking woman who haa a frozen face.
The breakfast was average. The staff polite. One Spanish long curly haired waitress was holding our glasses from the top (no hygiene sense).

The hotel is a nonsmoking hotel. That was ok for us since we were not smokers.
BUT, there is a general smoke alarm system in all rooms. This means that 03.00 am in the morning if somebody was smoking in his/her room, the alarm would rang so loudly to ALL rooms and you were shocked and scared until you found out the truth. At least every night we had one loud alarm awake.

We had a baby baggy with us. Every day the corridor was full of obstacles. A mattress, an extra bed, a big bag of linens et.c. So I had to move all these things every day to pass the baby baggy. Even though I complained nothing happened expect for the last day.

Choose this hotel only if you have nowhere else to stay

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank George T
tophams186338, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Thank you very much for your recent review and I am sorry you were so disappointed with your stay at Tophams.
We are in the process of refurbishing rooms at the hotel so they are of the highest standard.
I hope the £50.00 deposit has been refunded to you and I am sorry I was not in the hotel when you left so I could give you it personally.
In regards to your comment about the service I have had a meeting with all the hotel staff and reminded them that the highest standards of care and attention are expected at Tophams.
We are a no smoking hotel and our alarms are sensitive to smoke in the rooms for obvious Health & Safety reasons so when guests smoke in the room they will activate. We make it clear to those who stay that they are not allowed to smoke in the hotel but unfortunately some people, despite our best efforts, ignore this.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Croy, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

Thanks to all at Tophams hotel for a wonderful weekend
We had a lovely stay the staff and room were great
Breakfast was delicious
We William be back as soon as we can
The hotel is in a great location very Handy for Victoria

1 Thank Paul A
tophams186338, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank you very much for positive review and we hope we can welcome you back soon.

Sean H
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

I was planning a tour around London with my husband and this is why I chose the Tophams Hotel. Such a lovely place! Staff is very polite, breakfast is more than what I expected, and the location is excellent as well. I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rita N

Sean H
Middlesborough, null, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

Nice friendly hotel, not sure what the other reviews were expecting, nice building, nice friendly people clean rooms , bit of paint needed but comfy and clean , very nice dining room and reception area.

Room Tip: Ask for main building room
1 Thank Autotune V
tophams186338, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the hotel.

We sincerely hope we can welcome you back to Tophams soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

I needed a last minute hotel in London, I arrived about 9 so did not complain as i wanted to sleep. The staff were friendly on arrival. The light bulb was out outside my room and as it was down stairs it was quite dangerous. Two lights were out in the bathroom too. The hotel needs a major overhaul as it is run down. The floor was dirty. The grouting in the shower was old and the floor tiles were cracked.
The area is lovely and very handy for Victoria. The public areas are better kept. I did not have breakfast.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank LouD46
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and we are very sorry you were so disappointed with your stay.

I am happy to advise you that as of the start of this week we are undergoing a major refurbishment programme throughout the hotel to ensure the rooms are once again of the highest standards.

We hope we will have an early opportunity to show you that things have improved.

Sean Harte

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

I originally booked this hotel as a romantic getaway with my partner for her birthday and was looking forward to being pampered in a 4 star hotel.

Unfortunately the service provided is nowhere near as advertised and I would urge anyone to read this prior to booking with Tophams Hotel London.

Here's a list of issues of faults in our room / bathroom

* Extractor not working which makes the room very smelly.
* Bathroom taps leak over tiled floor making it very dangerous and slippy
* Flush on the toilet is hanging off. Although it works this isnt to be expected of a 4 star establishment
* Discolouration on ceiling where damp has leaked in.
* Bath has mould around sealant.
* Beds are very hard and quite small.

If you're thinking of booking breakfast then save your money!!! £6 for an instant coffee in the morning!

The bacon and tomatoes was burnt and inedible - the egg was dried up and inedible. Portions are very small and my vegitarian partner almost starved with only 3 teaspoons of baked beans and few slivers of mushroom.

We've actually had better at a youth hostel/ student lodgings at a fraction at the price!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and we are sorry you were so disappointed with your stay.

I would like to advise you that at the start of this week we have started a major refurbishment programme to address some of the issues you raised.

I have also brought you review to the attention of the Head Chef and your comments about breakfast have been taken on board so that we can ensure we do better.

I hope we will have an early opportunity to demonstrate to you that things have improved.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

£30 taken as a deposit for chargeable services. £4 for a can of pop which half of ones supplied were out of date! Mini bar was not used and we were told it would be back in the account within 2 days a week later we are still waiting. The ceiling in the bathroom was mouldy paint was peeling off the walls and the ceiling looked damp and as if it was about to collapse under its own weight. I would keep well away the rating given I would say are being over generous.

• Stayed January 2014