“A very poorly maintained hotel”

The Tophams Hotel Belgravia
Ranked #971 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I needed a last minute hotel in London, I arrived about 9 so did not complain as i wanted to sleep. The staff were friendly on arrival. The light bulb was out outside my room and as it was down stairs it was quite dangerous. Two lights were out in the bathroom too. The hotel needs a major overhaul as it is run down. The floor was dirty. The grouting in the shower was old and the floor tiles were cracked.
The area is lovely and very handy for Victoria. The public areas are better kept. I did not have breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank LouD46
tophams186338, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and we are very sorry you were so disappointed with your stay.

I am happy to advise you that as of the start of this week we are undergoing a major refurbishment programme throughout the hotel to ensure the rooms are once again of the highest standards.

We hope we will have an early opportunity to show you that things have improved.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

I originally booked this hotel as a romantic getaway with my partner for her birthday and was looking forward to being pampered in a 4 star hotel.

Unfortunately the service provided is nowhere near as advertised and I would urge anyone to read this prior to booking with Tophams Hotel London.

Here's a list of issues of faults in our room / bathroom

* Extractor not working which makes the room very smelly.
* Bathroom taps leak over tiled floor making it very dangerous and slippy
* Flush on the toilet is hanging off. Although it works this isnt to be expected of a 4 star establishment
* Discolouration on ceiling where damp has leaked in.
* Bath has mould around sealant.
* Beds are very hard and quite small.

If you're thinking of booking breakfast then save your money!!! £6 for an instant coffee in the morning!

The bacon and tomatoes was burnt and inedible - the egg was dried up and inedible. Portions are very small and my vegitarian partner almost starved with only 3 teaspoons of baked beans and few slivers of mushroom.

We've actually had better at a youth hostel/ student lodgings at a fraction at the price!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and we are sorry you were so disappointed with your stay.

I would like to advise you that at the start of this week we have started a major refurbishment programme to address some of the issues you raised.

I have also brought you review to the attention of the Head Chef and your comments about breakfast have been taken on board so that we can ensure we do better.

I hope we will have an early opportunity to demonstrate to you that things have improved.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

£30 taken as a deposit for chargeable services. £4 for a can of pop which half of ones supplied were out of date! Mini bar was not used and we were told it would be back in the account within 2 days a week later we are still waiting. The ceiling in the bathroom was mouldy paint was peeling off the walls and the ceiling looked damp and as if it was about to collapse under its own weight. I would keep well away the rating given I would say are being over generous.

• Stayed: January 2014

Reviewed January 17, 2014

I was expecting a nice room at the Colonade, but they obviously overbook to send you to this absolutely terrible hotel. We had to sleep on the floor because the mattress was unsleepable and blood stained! Even the woman in charge admitted that she would not sleep on the bed when we called her up to the room! As we arrived in our room, I needed the bathroom but the toilet had obviously not been cleaned from the previous person as it had horrible stains on it. So I called the reception and asked for someone to come clean it. With a knock on the door a young lady arrives with no cleaning things to magically clean it. She simply took a dry piece of toilet paper and started spreading the pee stains that were still drops around the rim. As I asked her what the heck she is doing, she replied, I am not a cleaning woman. So I asked her to bring me some cleaning spray so I can finally use the toilet. As the lady was there I asked if there was anyway to turn the loud "brumming" noise off coming from the ventilation as it was like being on a cruise ship. We turned all the switches off and the temperature control with no luck, in fact even from the main computer at the front desk it was impossible. The room itself had a small closet that was hanging off and inside was a mini bar and a broken safe. A TV was pointing against the wall in the wrong direction and couldn't be moved so watching anything was impossible unless you stood against the wall. The bath had brown stains, because the tap constantly dripped, but with that said, if it were to be cleaned every day then the brown stains would not have been there. When we complained, we were asked if we wanted to speak with the management, I said yes and the answer was ok but they are not here on weekends. Then although I had already paid they asked for my credit card or a payment. Luckily I had read tripadvisor and denied. The night was an absolute nightmare, the bed itself was nothing but springs, there was absolutely no padding between the springs and the sheet itself. Upon checking I also noticed that the mattress was full of horrible blood stains. When I complained about that, even the lady in charge said she would not and couldn't sleep on it herself! Again I asked for the management to contact me and I demanded a refund for having to sleep on the floor but obviously they have no intention of doing that. I left a message for the management with my email and my telephone number and nobody called. As for the breakfast, even that went wrong. For the two of us we got 5 slices of cold toast, 2 incredibly small croissants and marmalade. The butter was bought after we were finished! Don't be fooled by the location, the nice reception and the wallpaper that make it look like a 3 star hotel, as I wouldn't even give this 2 stars. As for the price in exchange for what you get, disgraceful!!! I highly recommend if you want to enjoy your weekend in London to stay elsewhere and save yourself the anger you will get if you stay here. Even as we left and I said, it's a shame things didn't work out, I know you are only a worker, so have a nice day and bye, the reception lady couldn't even say bye back. Luckily I made a complete video review which is much more detailed and shows you the real state this place is in and everyone can decide for themselves. As for me, I still demand my money back!

Room Tip: Do not choose room 203
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Marc M

I was horrified to read about your experience, rest assured we have taken steps to ensure all aspects of a guests stay are improved at Tophams.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

I had a pleasant Stay .... Rood was clean and the staff was very friendly ... Great location .. for sign seeing ... all walking distance, I stayed for 3 night .... and enjoyed the Breakfast ... I would Recommend this hotel,

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank H1973

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the hotel

We hope we can welcome you back to Tophams very soon

Reviewed January 3, 2014

When you read these reviews you will automatically imagine its a hotel from hell. But you will pleasantly surprised it's really not. I stayed here last week over nye for two nights. Now this place ain't the ritz nor is it a four star. It's more of a large 3 star b n b rather then a hotel feel about it. The staff are a little unorganised though il admit that. But the rooms are pleasant and I didn't find any evidence of dirtiness they were very well presented and a good size and the beds were more then adecuite.
Good things; fantastic location, brilliant sized bathroom, nice room, homely feel about the place.
Bad things; unorganised staff at times, very expensive bar £4 can of pop.
I've stayed in City hotels all over the world from five stars to really bad ones, so I'm very aware what amazing is and what terrible is and this hotel is comfortably fine. Don't believe the bad reviews as I didn't find it bad at all, I do advice to email ahead and request a room in the main hotel, I stayed in room 308 and it was lovely room.
I shall be using the hotel again as it's great value.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank R R

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and I am delighted you were happy with your stay.

I hope we will have an early opportunity to welcome you back to Tophams

Reviewed January 3, 2014

No welcome greeting, or in fact acknowledgement that we were waiting to be seen on arrival, check in was brusque to the point of rudeness. Also a £50 deposit had to be paid - despite the fact we had paid in advance for the room and breakfast - this is an old fashioned approach which we have not encountered in years. Access to lift was mostly blocked by a christmas tree far too large for the space which hampered access to the lift. Lighting in the stairwell was dim and staircases themselves were narrow. Room was very cramped, tv did not work, bed was so squishy it offered no support, had a child with us and they literally wedged a broken fold out bed right next to the double which meant we had to wedge ourselves along the wall to get round to the bathroom which had faulty lights, damp and mouldy smell, rotten damp patches on the ceiling - also in the ceiling of the main bedroom too. Shower ran hot and cold with no warning and the head of the shower came off while my husband was in the shower and he had to fix it there and then!
Breakfast was a joke see other reviews too. After waiting over 30 mins to get a table, we were sat at a dirty table. We had paid full price to include breakfast - with all other hotels we have stayed at this has given us plenty of choice and selection. They then said our prepaid breakfast meant we could only have the continental breakfast at £15.95 per head....at this price you would think you would still get a good choice, but we were rudely informed this would get us cereal and some fruit.......hardly £15.95 worth! We then asked if we could have the full english instead and told it would cost an extra £4 each, we agreed thinking that at least we would have a decent breakfast to get keep us going. With one very cheap nasty sausage filled with gristle, 1 individual slice of bacon, half a tomato, 4 individual mushrooms, a small spoon of scrambled egg and a frozen and fried hash brown it was done on the cheap and only lukewarm. Service was very poor - forgotton cutlery, almost no staff spoke clear english and obviously didn't give a monkeys about the guests. Service overall was very poor and food was atrocious. Price was far too expensive.....only thing this hotel has going for it is its location - just outside victoria train station. A shame as it spoiled our stay and only night in London.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank c0ffeequeen

I have also brought you review to the attention of the Food and Beverage Manager and your comments about breakfast have been taken on board so that we can ensure things are improved in this area.