“By all means do not stay at this Hotel! Read this... Bloody beds, dirty bathrooms & photo proof”

The Tophams Hotel Belgravia
Ranked #975 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I was expecting a nice room at the Colonade, but they obviously overbook to send you to this absolutely terrible hotel. We had to sleep on the floor because the mattress was unsleepable and blood stained! Even the woman in charge admitted that she would not sleep on the bed when we called her up to the room! As we arrived in our room, I needed the bathroom but the toilet had obviously not been cleaned from the previous person as it had horrible stains on it. So I called the reception and asked for someone to come clean it. With a knock on the door a young lady arrives with no cleaning things to magically clean it. She simply took a dry piece of toilet paper and started spreading the pee stains that were still drops around the rim. As I asked her what the heck she is doing, she replied, I am not a cleaning woman. So I asked her to bring me some cleaning spray so I can finally use the toilet. As the lady was there I asked if there was anyway to turn the loud "brumming" noise off coming from the ventilation as it was like being on a cruise ship. We turned all the switches off and the temperature control with no luck, in fact even from the main computer at the front desk it was impossible. The room itself had a small closet that was hanging off and inside was a mini bar and a broken safe. A TV was pointing against the wall in the wrong direction and couldn't be moved so watching anything was impossible unless you stood against the wall. The bath had brown stains, because the tap constantly dripped, but with that said, if it were to be cleaned every day then the brown stains would not have been there. When we complained, we were asked if we wanted to speak with the management, I said yes and the answer was ok but they are not here on weekends. Then although I had already paid they asked for my credit card or a payment. Luckily I had read tripadvisor and denied. The night was an absolute nightmare, the bed itself was nothing but springs, there was absolutely no padding between the springs and the sheet itself. Upon checking I also noticed that the mattress was full of horrible blood stains. When I complained about that, even the lady in charge said she would not and couldn't sleep on it herself! Again I asked for the management to contact me and I demanded a refund for having to sleep on the floor but obviously they have no intention of doing that. I left a message for the management with my email and my telephone number and nobody called. As for the breakfast, even that went wrong. For the two of us we got 5 slices of cold toast, 2 incredibly small croissants and marmalade. The butter was bought after we were finished! Don't be fooled by the location, the nice reception and the wallpaper that make it look like a 3 star hotel, as I wouldn't even give this 2 stars. As for the price in exchange for what you get, disgraceful!!! I highly recommend if you want to enjoy your weekend in London to stay elsewhere and save yourself the anger you will get if you stay here. Even as we left and I said, it's a shame things didn't work out, I know you are only a worker, so have a nice day and bye, the reception lady couldn't even say bye back. Luckily I made a complete video review which is much more detailed and shows you the real state this place is in and everyone can decide for themselves. As for me, I still demand my money back!

Room Tip: Do not choose room 203
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Marc M
tophams186338, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and we are sorry you were so disappointed with your stay.

I was horrified to read about your experience, rest assured we have taken steps to ensure all aspects of a guests stay are improved at Tophams.

I hope we will have an early opportunity to demonstrate to you that things have improved.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

I had a pleasant Stay .... Rood was clean and the staff was very friendly ... Great location .. for sign seeing ... all walking distance, I stayed for 3 night .... and enjoyed the Breakfast ... I would Recommend this hotel,

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank H1973

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the hotel

We hope we can welcome you back to Tophams very soon

Reviewed January 3, 2014

When you read these reviews you will automatically imagine its a hotel from hell. But you will pleasantly surprised it's really not. I stayed here last week over nye for two nights. Now this place ain't the ritz nor is it a four star. It's more of a large 3 star b n b rather then a hotel feel about it. The staff are a little unorganised though il admit that. But the rooms are pleasant and I didn't find any evidence of dirtiness they were very well presented and a good size and the beds were more then adecuite.
Good things; fantastic location, brilliant sized bathroom, nice room, homely feel about the place.
Bad things; unorganised staff at times, very expensive bar £4 can of pop.
I've stayed in City hotels all over the world from five stars to really bad ones, so I'm very aware what amazing is and what terrible is and this hotel is comfortably fine. Don't believe the bad reviews as I didn't find it bad at all, I do advice to email ahead and request a room in the main hotel, I stayed in room 308 and it was lovely room.
I shall be using the hotel again as it's great value.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank R R

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and I am delighted you were happy with your stay.

I hope we will have an early opportunity to welcome you back to Tophams

Reviewed January 3, 2014

No welcome greeting, or in fact acknowledgement that we were waiting to be seen on arrival, check in was brusque to the point of rudeness. Also a £50 deposit had to be paid - despite the fact we had paid in advance for the room and breakfast - this is an old fashioned approach which we have not encountered in years. Access to lift was mostly blocked by a christmas tree far too large for the space which hampered access to the lift. Lighting in the stairwell was dim and staircases themselves were narrow. Room was very cramped, tv did not work, bed was so squishy it offered no support, had a child with us and they literally wedged a broken fold out bed right next to the double which meant we had to wedge ourselves along the wall to get round to the bathroom which had faulty lights, damp and mouldy smell, rotten damp patches on the ceiling - also in the ceiling of the main bedroom too. Shower ran hot and cold with no warning and the head of the shower came off while my husband was in the shower and he had to fix it there and then!
Breakfast was a joke see other reviews too. After waiting over 30 mins to get a table, we were sat at a dirty table. We had paid full price to include breakfast - with all other hotels we have stayed at this has given us plenty of choice and selection. They then said our prepaid breakfast meant we could only have the continental breakfast at £15.95 per head....at this price you would think you would still get a good choice, but we were rudely informed this would get us cereal and some fruit.......hardly £15.95 worth! We then asked if we could have the full english instead and told it would cost an extra £4 each, we agreed thinking that at least we would have a decent breakfast to get keep us going. With one very cheap nasty sausage filled with gristle, 1 individual slice of bacon, half a tomato, 4 individual mushrooms, a small spoon of scrambled egg and a frozen and fried hash brown it was done on the cheap and only lukewarm. Service was very poor - forgotton cutlery, almost no staff spoke clear english and obviously didn't give a monkeys about the guests. Service overall was very poor and food was atrocious. Price was far too expensive.....only thing this hotel has going for it is its location - just outside victoria train station. A shame as it spoiled our stay and only night in London.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank c0ffeequeen

I would like to advise you that at the start of this week we have started a major refurbishment programme to address some of the issues you raised.

I have also brought you review to the attention of the Food and Beverage Manager and your comments about breakfast have been taken on board so that we can ensure things are improved in this area.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

This hotel is possibly one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. When we arrived, there was a rude receptionist told us to sit, then insisted that we had to leave our card details so she could take £50 off the card, with no explanation for what this was for, she then told us that £30 would be fine and that we could give her cash if we didn't have anything on us, she still did not explain what this was for. We were then pointed to our room, when we got there the room had a funny damp smell to it, the room was dusty and not very clean, the bathroom had actual damp growing on the walls and the shower went from boiling hot to freezing cold, the bathroom lights flickered on and off at all times while in the bathroom, we had someone try to enter our room in the night while we were asleep with a key card but luckily the chain was on the door, when I asked at reception, I was told that it must have been a confused guest or member of staff, but with no apology from them or explanation as to how this could happen if it was a guest or why it has happened if it was a member of staff, then the fire alarm proceeded to go off in the night, after 10 pm when I went to reception to question this they said that a guest must have been smoking in one of the rooms, but yet again no apology, then about 20 minutes later it went off again, reception would then not answer the phone when i called to to check if everything was okay so I had to leave my room for a third time, they said it was an accident and it would not happen again.

In the morning we went down to breakfast to meet horrifically rude staff at the table service, who sat us at a dirty table and then was very inconvenienced that I asked to either move to a clean table or have the table cleaned, then we were not given a choice of the full breakfast menu that we paid for and we were told that there was no fruit salad, when I queried what they had in its place I got a very bored looking member of staff saying "nothing, we don't have to give it you", we were then brought a so called continental breakfast, this consisted of one croissant, one piece of toast, no butter and a English breakfast, where the beans and egg were congealed and it was just pretty disgusting, I told a member of the serving team and they just shrugged their shoulders and carried on, we then went out to purchase breakfast so that left us out of pocket.

When we returned in the afternoon, we then were in the room and there was some indecent drilling and hammering from next door this went on for a good hour, so I went to ask reception if they knew what this was, i was met by a lovely member of staff who explained it must be next door, I asked if we could move rooms and she said that would be no problem but it would have to be a double room not a twin which was fine, then a gentle man perked up from somewhere behind her and said "I don't see what your problem is as they will be finished at 5 pm" I thought that this was rude and disgusting that he would speak to his paying guests like this, We were then moved to another room, which was no better, four of the 5 lights didn't work in the main room the TV remote didn't switch on the TV or control it in any way, there were dirty coffee marks on the tea and coffee area, which I cleaned myself, the bathroom needed cleaning as it still had hair from the previous guests in it, the only light that worked was the bathroom mirror light, there was dust and bits of hair and hair clips all over the room, it had fluff all over the floor, it was just disgraceful but thankfully no hammering and drilling.

Later that night when we were in bed the fire alarm went off again this time at gone 11 twice, they now said faulty alarm but that's not the point,this is the second night on the run, no one in this hotel is apologetic or helpful. The same debacle happened at breakfast again, only this time we also witnessed this happening to other guests as well, same again we have to go out and purchase breakfast, which is ridiculous as we should not have had to pay for this.

When I asked for a complaints form they tried to fob me off three times, saying they didn't do them then the helpful lady from the previous day found me one, I then filled this in and handed it in, I asked if the general manager would then contact me with the out come, I was told he might off me a free complimentary stay, but that's up to him. They then told me that the receptionist was Russian that is why she was rude, which I find unacceptable as a reason to why she was rude. I asked for a copy of my complaint, which they looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language, they then obliged and when I received the copy I have found on the opposite side of the paper it has other guests details on, so now not only am I un-happy I am worried about the data protection of my details which is a serious breach of the data protection act.

I have not heard from anyone about this, I do not want a free complimentary stay I would like my money back and some form of compensation from the hotel as this was a horrendous experience, and completely ruined our experience. This was a 30th Birthday Celebration trip, it was the worst hotel experience I have had by far. This should not and can not be classed as a four star hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Siân Dacia E
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Stayed at this Hotel last night and certainly not worth the money, location is great but inside the hotel it is very badly maintained and potentially dangerous. Lightbulbs broken everywhere in the corridors and in the rooms, tiles cracked. and wardrobe door hanging on with one hinge. Beware of "included breakfast" continental only not everything on the limited menu

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DBandRB
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We have just come back from a weekend at The Topham Hotel. I have never written a review before but I really felt I needed to after this weekend. The hotel is in a great location but that all it has going for it. The staff simply couldn't care less about the guests!! We had light bulbs missing & broken plug sockets. We ask to order a drink at the hotel bar (which we were told was open 24hrs) at 10.30pm on Friday night to be told that the hotel had completely run out of every kind of Alcoholic beverage. The weekend before Christmas???? The duty manager made some of excuse that their delivery had not arrived?! When we looked at the bar it was very clear that is had not been stocked for weeks!!
Breakfast was worst! Food was dreadful and service just the same! We walked out of breakfast without eating and ended up going to a Starbucks to get something!!
This hotel could be great but the staff and their lack of care is what lets it down. I would definitely never every stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple