“AVOID THIS HOTEL”

The Tophams Hotel Belgravia
Ranked #964 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 3, 2014

No welcome greeting, or in fact acknowledgement that we were waiting to be seen on arrival, check in was brusque to the point of rudeness. Also a £50 deposit had to be paid - despite the fact we had paid in advance for the room and breakfast - this is an old fashioned approach which we have not encountered in years. Access to lift was mostly blocked by a christmas tree far too large for the space which hampered access to the lift. Lighting in the stairwell was dim and staircases themselves were narrow. Room was very cramped, tv did not work, bed was so squishy it offered no support, had a child with us and they literally wedged a broken fold out bed right next to the double which meant we had to wedge ourselves along the wall to get round to the bathroom which had faulty lights, damp and mouldy smell, rotten damp patches on the ceiling - also in the ceiling of the main bedroom too. Shower ran hot and cold with no warning and the head of the shower came off while my husband was in the shower and he had to fix it there and then!
Breakfast was a joke see other reviews too. After waiting over 30 mins to get a table, we were sat at a dirty table. We had paid full price to include breakfast - with all other hotels we have stayed at this has given us plenty of choice and selection. They then said our prepaid breakfast meant we could only have the continental breakfast at £15.95 per head....at this price you would think you would still get a good choice, but we were rudely informed this would get us cereal and some fruit.......hardly £15.95 worth! We then asked if we could have the full english instead and told it would cost an extra £4 each, we agreed thinking that at least we would have a decent breakfast to get keep us going. With one very cheap nasty sausage filled with gristle, 1 individual slice of bacon, half a tomato, 4 individual mushrooms, a small spoon of scrambled egg and a frozen and fried hash brown it was done on the cheap and only lukewarm. Service was very poor - forgotton cutlery, almost no staff spoke clear english and obviously didn't give a monkeys about the guests. Service overall was very poor and food was atrocious. Price was far too expensive.....only thing this hotel has going for it is its location - just outside victoria train station. A shame as it spoiled our stay and only night in London.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank c0ffeequeen
tophams186338, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and we are sorry you were so disappointed with your stay.

I would like to advise you that at the start of this week we have started a major refurbishment programme to address some of the issues you raised.

I have also brought you review to the attention of the Food and Beverage Manager and your comments about breakfast have been taken on board so that we can ensure things are improved in this area.

I hope we will have an early opportunity to demonstrate to you that things have improved.

Regards
Sean Harte

There are newer reviews for The Tophams Hotel Belgravia

Reviewed January 1, 2014

This hotel is possibly one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. When we arrived, there was a rude receptionist told us to sit, then insisted that we had to leave our card details so she could take £50 off the card, with no explanation for what this was for, she then told us that £30 would be fine and that we could give her cash if we didn't have anything on us, she still did not explain what this was for. We were then pointed to our room, when we got there the room had a funny damp smell to it, the room was dusty and not very clean, the bathroom had actual damp growing on the walls and the shower went from boiling hot to freezing cold, the bathroom lights flickered on and off at all times while in the bathroom, we had someone try to enter our room in the night while we were asleep with a key card but luckily the chain was on the door, when I asked at reception, I was told that it must have been a confused guest or member of staff, but with no apology from them or explanation as to how this could happen if it was a guest or why it has happened if it was a member of staff, then the fire alarm proceeded to go off in the night, after 10 pm when I went to reception to question this they said that a guest must have been smoking in one of the rooms, but yet again no apology, then about 20 minutes later it went off again, reception would then not answer the phone when i called to to check if everything was okay so I had to leave my room for a third time, they said it was an accident and it would not happen again.

In the morning we went down to breakfast to meet horrifically rude staff at the table service, who sat us at a dirty table and then was very inconvenienced that I asked to either move to a clean table or have the table cleaned, then we were not given a choice of the full breakfast menu that we paid for and we were told that there was no fruit salad, when I queried what they had in its place I got a very bored looking member of staff saying "nothing, we don't have to give it you", we were then brought a so called continental breakfast, this consisted of one croissant, one piece of toast, no butter and a English breakfast, where the beans and egg were congealed and it was just pretty disgusting, I told a member of the serving team and they just shrugged their shoulders and carried on, we then went out to purchase breakfast so that left us out of pocket.

When we returned in the afternoon, we then were in the room and there was some indecent drilling and hammering from next door this went on for a good hour, so I went to ask reception if they knew what this was, i was met by a lovely member of staff who explained it must be next door, I asked if we could move rooms and she said that would be no problem but it would have to be a double room not a twin which was fine, then a gentle man perked up from somewhere behind her and said "I don't see what your problem is as they will be finished at 5 pm" I thought that this was rude and disgusting that he would speak to his paying guests like this, We were then moved to another room, which was no better, four of the 5 lights didn't work in the main room the TV remote didn't switch on the TV or control it in any way, there were dirty coffee marks on the tea and coffee area, which I cleaned myself, the bathroom needed cleaning as it still had hair from the previous guests in it, the only light that worked was the bathroom mirror light, there was dust and bits of hair and hair clips all over the room, it had fluff all over the floor, it was just disgraceful but thankfully no hammering and drilling.

Later that night when we were in bed the fire alarm went off again this time at gone 11 twice, they now said faulty alarm but that's not the point,this is the second night on the run, no one in this hotel is apologetic or helpful. The same debacle happened at breakfast again, only this time we also witnessed this happening to other guests as well, same again we have to go out and purchase breakfast, which is ridiculous as we should not have had to pay for this.

When I asked for a complaints form they tried to fob me off three times, saying they didn't do them then the helpful lady from the previous day found me one, I then filled this in and handed it in, I asked if the general manager would then contact me with the out come, I was told he might off me a free complimentary stay, but that's up to him. They then told me that the receptionist was Russian that is why she was rude, which I find unacceptable as a reason to why she was rude. I asked for a copy of my complaint, which they looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language, they then obliged and when I received the copy I have found on the opposite side of the paper it has other guests details on, so now not only am I un-happy I am worried about the data protection of my details which is a serious breach of the data protection act.

I have not heard from anyone about this, I do not want a free complimentary stay I would like my money back and some form of compensation from the hotel as this was a horrendous experience, and completely ruined our experience. This was a 30th Birthday Celebration trip, it was the worst hotel experience I have had by far. This should not and can not be classed as a four star hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Siân Dacia E
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Stayed at this Hotel last night and certainly not worth the money, location is great but inside the hotel it is very badly maintained and potentially dangerous. Lightbulbs broken everywhere in the corridors and in the rooms, tiles cracked. and wardrobe door hanging on with one hinge. Beware of "included breakfast" continental only not everything on the limited menu

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DBandRB
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We have just come back from a weekend at The Topham Hotel. I have never written a review before but I really felt I needed to after this weekend. The hotel is in a great location but that all it has going for it. The staff simply couldn't care less about the guests!! We had light bulbs missing & broken plug sockets. We ask to order a drink at the hotel bar (which we were told was open 24hrs) at 10.30pm on Friday night to be told that the hotel had completely run out of every kind of Alcoholic beverage. The weekend before Christmas???? The duty manager made some of excuse that their delivery had not arrived?! When we looked at the bar it was very clear that is had not been stocked for weeks!!
Breakfast was worst! Food was dreadful and service just the same! We walked out of breakfast without eating and ended up going to a Starbucks to get something!!
This hotel could be great but the staff and their lack of care is what lets it down. I would definitely never every stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gina L
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Stayed here for one night after booking through laterooms.com. We didn't pay full price, and I think if we had I would have been very disappointed. Receptionist was rude, talking on the phone and not acknowledging us for well over 5 minutes. When she did, she insisted on charging a deposit for our room (£100 on top of the room rate which we had already paid). We refused to do this. We were directed to our room but not shown to it or offered help with our bags. Although we only had overnight things, this should be standard practice in a good hotel. Room was small, but clean and nicely furnished. I think Tophams are a little above their station, but fine for a quick stay especially as Victoria station is so close.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel last weekend and the hotel staff were really friendly but the room had severe damp next to the light switch which I felt was dangerous also the shower in the bath room was damaged and couldn't be raised above 5.8 feet and being 6 feet tall wasn't practical. The shower also leaked so the water pressure wasn't great either. The toilet was right next to a scolding hot radiator which means when you sat down you burnt yourself. This was in room 305. This may be a 4 star hotel but not worth the £400 per night price tag!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 15, 2013

My brother and I were booked into this hotel via the excellent dhr.com website. We had two single rooms booked. Upon arrival, the receptionist told us that only one single room was booked. I had my voucher from dhr which clearly showed two single rooms, each with our name against it. But the receptionist - who would struggle to win a Miss Charming 2013 nomination - refused to accept this, even when I then went and printed out the payment receipt of USD 170.00, explaining to her that this was USD 85 per room. Somewhat snootily she informed me that I could hardly expect to get a room at the Tophams for £46 (the equivalent of USD 85) per night. Finally, she took a pre-authorisation of £100 (about USD 150) on my credit card and gave my brother and me a twin room. This was less than ideal as, at my age, I am forced to get up a couple of times per night, but there was no other availability at the hotel. The receptionist informed me she would check the next day with the booking agency to verify what I had - I thought - already proven to her.

And now to the room. Where did this hotel get four stars? Four stars on Pluto, maybe. The bedroom carpet was darkly stained at the entrance with some unimaginable liquid. The wallpaper was torn in several places. I've stayed in better no-star accommodation. The hotel presents an imposing facade but that is all. Never again.

To add insult to injury, the hotel emailed me that I had indeed booked two single rooms and that, therefore, my credit card would not be debited. No apology, no explanation. I have total confidence that dhr.com were not in the wrong as I have used this booking agency before and never had a problem with them. I am sure that it was the hotel's fault. And, now, I discover that the hotel has "taken" £14 from my credit card - without explanation, without authorisation, no minibar or anything like that used, and despite having written to me saying my credit card would not be debited. I have emailed them for an explanation but, four days later and as of writing this view, not the courtesy of a reply.

Caveat emptor!