“Staff need to learn Customer service skills”

The Tophams Hotel Belgravia
Ranked #973 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We have just come back from a weekend at The Topham Hotel. I have never written a review before but I really felt I needed to after this weekend. The hotel is in a great location but that all it has going for it. The staff simply couldn't care less about the guests!! We had light bulbs missing & broken plug sockets. We ask to order a drink at the hotel bar (which we were told was open 24hrs) at 10.30pm on Friday night to be told that the hotel had completely run out of every kind of Alcoholic beverage. The weekend before Christmas???? The duty manager made some of excuse that their delivery had not arrived?! When we looked at the bar it was very clear that is had not been stocked for weeks!!
Breakfast was worst! Food was dreadful and service just the same! We walked out of breakfast without eating and ended up going to a Starbucks to get something!!
This hotel could be great but the staff and their lack of care is what lets it down. I would definitely never every stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gina L

Reviewed December 21, 2013

Stayed here for one night after booking through laterooms.com. We didn't pay full price, and I think if we had I would have been very disappointed. Receptionist was rude, talking on the phone and not acknowledging us for well over 5 minutes. When she did, she insisted on charging a deposit for our room (£100 on top of the room rate which we had already paid). We refused to do this. We were directed to our room but not shown to it or offered help with our bags. Although we only had overnight things, this should be standard practice in a good hotel. Room was small, but clean and nicely furnished. I think Tophams are a little above their station, but fine for a quick stay especially as Victoria station is so close.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel last weekend and the hotel staff were really friendly but the room had severe damp next to the light switch which I felt was dangerous also the shower in the bath room was damaged and couldn't be raised above 5.8 feet and being 6 feet tall wasn't practical. The shower also leaked so the water pressure wasn't great either. The toilet was right next to a scolding hot radiator which means when you sat down you burnt yourself. This was in room 305. This may be a 4 star hotel but not worth the £400 per night price tag!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 15, 2013

My brother and I were booked into this hotel via the excellent dhr.com website. We had two single rooms booked. Upon arrival, the receptionist told us that only one single room was booked. I had my voucher from dhr which clearly showed two single rooms, each with our name against it. But the receptionist - who would struggle to win a Miss Charming 2013 nomination - refused to accept this, even when I then went and printed out the payment receipt of USD 170.00, explaining to her that this was USD 85 per room. Somewhat snootily she informed me that I could hardly expect to get a room at the Tophams for £46 (the equivalent of USD 85) per night. Finally, she took a pre-authorisation of £100 (about USD 150) on my credit card and gave my brother and me a twin room. This was less than ideal as, at my age, I am forced to get up a couple of times per night, but there was no other availability at the hotel. The receptionist informed me she would check the next day with the booking agency to verify what I had - I thought - already proven to her.

And now to the room. Where did this hotel get four stars? Four stars on Pluto, maybe. The bedroom carpet was darkly stained at the entrance with some unimaginable liquid. The wallpaper was torn in several places. I've stayed in better no-star accommodation. The hotel presents an imposing facade but that is all. Never again.

To add insult to injury, the hotel emailed me that I had indeed booked two single rooms and that, therefore, my credit card would not be debited. No apology, no explanation. I have total confidence that dhr.com were not in the wrong as I have used this booking agency before and never had a problem with them. I am sure that it was the hotel's fault. And, now, I discover that the hotel has "taken" £14 from my credit card - without explanation, without authorisation, no minibar or anything like that used, and despite having written to me saying my credit card would not be debited. I have emailed them for an explanation but, four days later and as of writing this view, not the courtesy of a reply.

Caveat emptor!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sean B
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I found this hotel last minute online and had heard there had been a huge refurbishment on the hotel. I was pleasantly surprised as I know the standard of some Victoria hotels and it can be hit or miss often. I got offered a free upgrade to junior suite and i will def be staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Suecarey2
Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

The weird thing is that everything else about the hotel is good and they are clearly working hard on the guest experience. But never have I seen a worse condition of bathroom

The basement rooms are built in part under the road. My bathroom had horrendous damp problems. It had a lovely large bath, and I thought I'd risk a bath. But by the time I ran it , it wad full of mouldy paint and plaster.

So I decided to have a shower. But the cold tap seemed not to work. Then the shower head blew off under the admittedly admirable water pressure. This left me to take the full force of seriously hot water straight in the chest. I tried to get out but the shower door fell of its runners! So despite a spacious bathroom I refitted to washing in the sink.

I did report this on check out and the receptionist tried to act surprised but I am sure they have same complaint daily.

I am sure the mould is a costly problem but they cannot charge £100 for a mouldy room. If you doubt my objectivity please do look at the photos I am submitting.

Over wise staff , reception, bedroom, breakfast all good.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Having checked the website and booked via late rooms I found myself in room 7 of the annex, how very disappointed I was.
Mis match of furniture, double headboard with spaced apart twin beds, no valance to hide the mattress, stains on the ceiling in at least 3 places and the TV did not work.
I must have been really close to the kitchen as when I opened the door the smell of cooked fish hit me.
The toiletries were limited, no shower cap and just basic's nothing to warrant the supposedly 5 star with 4 star prices as advertised on the website.
Late rooms claimed this room was over £700 for the night down to a bargain price of £170ish with breakfast included, I got to the restaurant and was offered the continental option only, with a whopping £8 for a yoghurt as an extra, along with the £4 for a small bottle of water from the mini bar - Totally Extortionate.
The Crowne Plaza London Docklands is further to travel, cheaper with fantastic rooms and service, the Tophams could do with paying them a visit to see how it should be done.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business