“Afternoon tea using Living Social voucher.”

The Tophams Hotel Belgravia
Ranked #952 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Tyne and Wear
“Afternoon tea using Living Social voucher.”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Bought a Living Social voucher to take my daughter for afternoon tea after a visit to Buckingham Palace. Tophams is a five minute walk away.After reading previous reviews I wasn't expecting to be wowed, but upon arrival I was pleasantly surprised.The hotel lobby and restaurant are pleasant enough, with quirky decorative items and lovely lamps. The dining room was bright and clean and the staff were friendly.
The cakes were definitely shop-bought, in fact as we were sitting I saw numerous members of staff coming in with Sainsbury's bags (so not Tesco cakes after all!), but so what? If I'd wanted hand crafted patisseries I'd not have bought a Living Social voucher and would have gone to the Savoy. My daughter wanted afternoon tea, with cakes on a stand, I wanted a cool glass of fizz and we were both satisfied. For what we wanted, and what we got, I would definitely go back for afternoon tea.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Mrs_M_Sunderland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

We had tea at the hotel which was very disappointing. The quantity and quality was dreadful. We have been to many hotels for tea but this was the worse by far. No choice of teas, dry scones which made us think everything was bought in. Even the Mr Kipling iced fancies. Champagne was nice but definitely at the expense of the food. Better to have had option of champagne and focus on the quality of the food. I used my tastecard so had 50% off the bill but even so it was not good value. The service was not good either although the staff were friendly. The toilet facilities were not good either with one single toilet that was unisex.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank 186338travel

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My experience did not live up to my expectations. While checking in, the staff seemed to be wondering which room to put me in, openly mentioning to each other rooms which they had had to move other guests into. The room I was given was cramped, the bed small and no tv remote control was provided. It was also excessively warm - air con was provided but was so loud when operating it was impossible to sleep while it was on. Very little soundproofing between rooms and floors, when other rooms were operating the air con it could clearly be heard and this woke me several times during the night. One side of the bed was higher than the other, sloping from left to right, but it was too late by this stage to change rooms. I managed about 4 hours sleep in all, which I could expect if I'd booked into a hostel, but certainly not good enough for the price I paid to stay here. Room service in the morning briefly knocked and tried to barge in without waiting for a response and returned 2 minutes later knocking repeatedly at the door.
If you wish to be overcharged for a 'Hotel' experience in a substandard establishment, this is the place for you.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Potters Bar, Hertfordshire
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Really good! Lovely reception area. Very pleasant dining room. Nice staff and good food. What more could one ask for? Plus got a parking space right outside the door. Went there today and the weather is wet and cool, but the dining area was very warm, so could well get too hot when the sun comes out, due to the glass roof.

Room Tip: Didn't stop overnight so can't comment on the rooms
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Champagne27_12
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I stayed at this place (I can't call it a hotel) for 4 nights at the beginning of July. When I got my credit card statement I saw that they had charged me twice. I rang them immediately and they said they would sort it out. They did not. I rang the hotel a total of 5 times over 2 weeks. The manager was never there nor did he return my calls. I even went into the hotel to try to sort it out but they would not refund me my money which was nearly £1,000. It was a horrible experience made worse by the rude and dismissive staff.

In the end I reported the hotel to trading standards and informed my credit card company. My credit card company have refunded me and will attempt to get their money back from the hotel directly.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Hannah L
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 21, 2013

If you're a fan of surly service, lumpy mattresses, sub-par bath amenities and an almost completely residental block with few local dining options, this is the place for you. Such a disappointing experience here. The lock between my door and the adjoining door was broken, and the staff did not seem to be concerned at all. My room was tidied, but they hung towels I had put on the floor back on the rack (I know because of the stain and smell of one of them). The cranky American woman at the front desk needs to get out of the service industry, she's not doing the hotel any favors.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Morden, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Attended Tophams today with a friend for afternoon deal with livingsocial voucher. It was great. Tea room decor very nice,relaxing pleasant atmosphere, staff excellent, afternoon tea very nice food and drinks. Had a lovely time Tophams, Thank you

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends