“OK, but just not very comfortable.”

The Tophams Hotel Belgravia
Ranked #944 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Guernsey, United Kingdom
“OK, but just not very comfortable.”
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Our experience here wasn't as bad as some of the other reviewers. However, it wasn't perfect either. Our main disappointment was how small our room was. Even given the fact that many London hotel rooms are small (I stay in London frequently), this one was very small. There was very little room to manoeuvre around the bed which made the whole experience uncomfortable. The whole hotel just felt cramped & you felt like you needed to go outside to breath.

The decor of the hotel is very nice, but it does certainly need some redecorating in places. For instance, there were a lot of water marks on our ceiling which looked awful.

Breakfast was acceptable & the waitresses were very polite & friendly. The reception staff were OK if not a little officious. I would recommend a bit more warmth towards their guests.

All in all, an OK stay. Would I stay here again? Yes, but only if I found an amazingly low price deal.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank HotCharlie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Slough, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Booked this through Lastminute.com as one of their Top Secret hotels which described it as a luxury 4 * hotel. Once we knew the hotel we would be in we looked at their website and it looked like just what we wanted for the start of our honeymoon. On arrival first impressions are good although the reception staff were not over friendly and there was no offer of help with luggage. We went to our room (305) and were instantly disappointed. The room was so small that the bed was against the wall on one side so no bedside table. The furniture was chipped and tatty and handles were broken or missing, carpets were old and stained. We noticed that there was tea and coffee in the room but no kettle so on our way out to eat asked for a kettle. When we came back we looked or extra pillows as there were only two on the bed and then we realised that his was really meant to be a single room but passed off to us as a double as it only had a 4" bed. Tried to call Last Minute but their offices were now closed so went down to reception. They moved us to a new room (111), again no offer of help with luggage. This room was bigger but the state of the furniture was no better. Again there was no kettle so we brought the one from the first room along with the milk which was not available in the new room. It was only on going to make a drink we discovered that there was no spoons so had to go down to reception to ask for some. No apology just excuses from reception. Both of these rooms were in the main hotel and are obviously better than the rooms that many describing but they were not 4*, not even sure we would give them 3*. We would not be surprised if they are not actually rated at his current time but using old information.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013

The room was in the cellar, with no windows. It was stinking of damp.
It was almost completely dark with very scarce lighting and there was not ONE hanger or hook anywhere to even hang a coat.
Paint was coming off the walls in the shower.
The service was indifferent to any complaints.
It is a robbery to charge 150 pounds per night for this dump, it should cost no more that 15!!!
NEVER EVER go there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank jmendyka
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We called this hotel to try and book directly and were spoken to by a very bored unhelpful lady who would rather we booked on the internet and the hotel pay the commission fee than book directly. Which we then did but we should have known this attitude would continue once we arrived, they really didn't care. The girls on reception were far too concerned with ducking out the back to whisper and giggle than assist guests and were far from welcoming. Our 'Deluxe' room was shabby and tiny even by London standards although nicely decorated. Breakfast the next day was a fraught affair with staff not coping well with maintaining the pretty poor selection of food and the room was in need of a good clean. I wouldn't stay here again and would suggest that the staff be retrained as a matter of urgency.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank orlaith_palmer
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

I was given a voucher for afternoon tea with champagne at this hotel for my birthday. Luckily for me my daughter lives in london so I didn't have to pay for accommodation in order to use it! Overall, a real disappointment- I cannot seriously believe this tea is ever sold at its advertised price of £64 and can only think its a 'voucher' special! Egg, cream cheese and cucumber + cream cheese and tomato! A scone and cakes that could be found at a Costco near you! Will tell my friends it was fab but if you're thinking of getting one of these vouchers for a friend of yours, don't bother - just give her the money towards a real afternoon tea!

• Stayed May 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I visited Tophams yesterday for afternoon tea with my mother and, having read the previous reports, was pleasantly suprised at the surroundings and the standard of the tea. The staff were friendly and helpful and the dining room pleasant. The sandwiches were fresh and the cakes delicious - there were too many for us to eat!

There were several other people who all seemed to be enjoying their tea. We had booked on a KGB deal and felt it was very good value. I hope others are not put off going to Tophams by the previous bad reviews which, in my mind, are unfounded.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I really hope that people travelling from overseas to our capital city and with the misfortune to stay at this hotel do not believe that the service offered by Tophams is representative of what you can expect from other hotels and services in England and the wider UK.
When I arrived at this hotel, there was already a group of people arguing with the Reception staff about the quality of their room. After quite a lengthy wait I was forced to interrupt this public argument as I wanted to check in...only to be told that they didn't have a room for me, although I had already paid for it. They said they had found me a room at another hotel; eventually a taxi came and I was on my way to Hotel No. 2. Whilst in the taxi, the Hotel called to say they were sending us to a different Hotel - No. 3. I arrived at my hotel 2 hours after I first arrived at Tophams and at a location in W2 rather than SW1W and only a 3*. I had to cancel my previously arranged breakfast meeting as this hotel was too remote. I have been promised full refunds, however, I am still waiting! Do not use this hotel! I sincerely hope they will invest in some training for their staff. I cannot comment on the state of the rooms as I never got past the reception area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business