“Very pleasant Central London Hotel - Would stay again”

The Tophams Hotel Belgravia
Ranked #978 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We visited London few days ago with my boyfriend and we stayed at Tophams for couple of nights + breakfast included.
I paid for the hotel in advance for a very reasonable price and was very pleased with the choice. If you are visiting London for any reason the location is just perfect. We arrived on Tuesday morning and been greeted by a lovely reception staff who were very helpful and let us check in straight away even tho it was only 9am. The room was tidy and had everything you need: an iron-iron board-hairdryer-shower-bath-towels-spare blanket and comfy bed(they have adapters at the reception as well). We requested wake up call at 9 am just so we don't stay in bed all day and miss our breakfast. The breakfast on our first morning was lovely with wide variety of cereals, fruits and juices. For the second morning we went for full English which was also spot on. Just what we needed after a night out. We really enjoyed our stay and would recommend this lovely boutique hotel to my friends and family. PS: The Afternoon Tea looked great !

Room Tip: First floor rooms
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,431)

Reviewed October 24, 2012

After reading some of the negative reviews I was dreading what I would find at Tophams. However, I was very pleasantly surprised by my stay there. The room was small but clean and very quiet. The staff were friendly and helpful. The continental breakfast was not fancy but did have a good variety of cereals, juices, pastries and fruit. The location was excellent, and I got a decent price through the internet. All in all a very pleasant experience!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 18, 2012

As a Brit (actually a Scot, but no excuses) I was appalled and embarassed that this hotel should be offered to guests and especially to foreigners coming to my country. We were a party of five in town for a business meeting, so luckily only stayed one night. We paid GBP 189 per head.I will keep it short:

- smell of urine in the room
- bedside light didn´t work
- no remote control for tv and it appeared not to work anyway
- shower only produced scalding hot water
- my American colleague (who unfortunately had to stay two nights) had mentioned that he woke up thinking there was a woman in his room. He was not so lucky - the woman was next door. The walls are paper thin.
- I was in the basement under reception and there appears to be no sound-proofing in the roof either - I heard everybody come & go during the night
- when I complained about some of the above on checking out I was not given an apology, but told that she would "send somebody to look at it"
I don´t have time to write to Boris Johnson or the authorities, but I hope that I save somebody else from spending their hard-earned cash here.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank DerSchotte
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We booked three rooms here for a business trip on lastminute.com, as a Secret Hotel. It was described as a "charming boutique hotel with great service". This description is laughable. We arrived at about 7.30pm - the reception area is small but presentable. We then had to wait for nearly half an hour to be checked in. At 7.30pm and in the age of technology this is an unacceptable waiting time. While we were waiting (we weren't offered a drink from the adjacent bar, which would have made the wait more bearable), we witnessed three ladies who had booked rooms be told that their rooms weren't ready. The ladies were very irate; I think they might have been previously made aware that the room wouldn't be ready until a certain time, however it appeared that this time had passed and the room still wasn't ready. Instead of being apologetic towards the customers and offering them refreshments in the bar (this tactic really does wonders!) they very rudely told the ladies to wait elsewhere until it was ready, and that it wasn't their fault the room was late. The whole thing made us feel very uncomfortable.

Now to the rooms. We were taken outside of the hotel, walked five or six doorways down the street, and then into another door entitled "Belgravia Mews Hotel". The corridor reminded me of my university halls of residence, and the rooms were no better. Small, pokey, dated, shabby, but worse of all, DIRTY! There were long black hairs in my shower and in the sink, and my colleague said there was actually a poo in their toilet! Nothing charming or boutique about that!
There is no way they could even have considered cleaning the bathrooms.

I dreaded to think what state of cleanliness the beds were in but needless to say we did not stay the night - we complained at reception (with photographs, I am blond so there was no argument about the long black hairs in shower) and the receptionist (who was a different one to the ones there when we checked in) apologised and booked us out to their sister hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Gemma A
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Fawlty Towers without the humour. Staff [most appeared inexperienced] tried hard to make something of this mess but there is just too much to attend to. The location is OK but then, so is Victoria [station] and London is only a square mile in area. We were initially placed in a garret which was upgraded after protesting. We refused to pay more. Breakfasts were skimpy, poorly presented and monotonous; dining cramped; replacement toiletries were only provided on request [after 5 nights]; shower leaked tremendously; lift broken; kettle [much-used with broken lid] made available on request; room barely coped with us AND our small pieces of luggage. Whoever awarded this hotel four stars has completely misrepresented and misjudged the accommodation.

Room Tip: You'll be paying for four star don't be timid about getting some value for your money
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kevin M
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Rooms and decor very Victorian, small and cramped and a bit claustrophobic but reasonably clean and comfortable. Wifi & internet work in room. Minibar larcenous - don't even open the fridge. Everything is falling apart a bit and singly in silly wasy: drape drawstring only works on one side, shower glass leaks, no remote control for TV (or, if one asks for one, it doesn't work), not even a little pad of paper and pen by the phone. The only reason why one would stay here than elsewhere is if one really wants this location. 5 min walk to Victoria station.

Room Tip: Book far in advance, request specifics, and get approvals in writing.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Kati L
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I have absolutely no idea how this hotel is considered a 4* hotel. We arrived at 4pm (check in begins at 1) and there were no rooms ready. So we sat to wait, and were forgotten about. 30 minutes later we reminded them we were waiting and they put us in a dirty room. We complained and they moved us to another room.

The TV was next to the bed instead of at an angle that is even possible to watch. The air conditioning didn't work and when we complained about the room temperature and asked for a fan, they told us the rooms were climate controlled so that should be enough.

Not only that, but the 'pre-authorisation' on my credit card took 4 business days to return to my account. Absolutely unacceptable, and I have yet to have that happen at another hotel I've stayed at in London, or even in the UK for that matter.

This hotel was one of the worst hotels I've stayed at in my life. Don't waste your time and money on this one.

• Stayed: September 2012