“Sorely Disappointed”

Viva La Vida
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Fiesta comes to the North London suburb of Edmonton in the colourful shape of Viva la Vida, a Mexican restaurant which really does live up to its name. Surrounded by one off artworks painted with bright colours evoking images of Mexico at its best, diners enjoy those favourite South American dishes including the likes of nachos, enchiladas and chillis as well as US influenced burgers and tex-mex dishes. The resident chef adds a little twist to some choices while staying true to the origins of others, encouraging diners to experience something outside of their comfort zone. As well known for its cocktails as for its food, Viva la Vida is a popular local choice for drinkers too, offering a wide range of those beloved South American cocktails as well as tequila and beers from South of the border. A partygoers paradise, Viva la Vida is vibrant and lively, open until two in the morning so after a little dinner you can stick around for salsa sounds and dancing as late as you like.
London, United Kingdom
“Sorely Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

After all the good reviews on this website, it feels like we went to another restaurant due to the poor service.I am a big fan of Mexican food and for my birthday, I wanted somewhere new to try. Upon arrival, the atmosphere was fairly welcoming, but soon after, we had turned into a forgotten party. No-one asked us for drinks, and when we did finally order, this came back incorrect. The food, when it did eventually got served was good, but again it took repeated times of asking the waitress for additional sundries to be bought over. I am disappointed by this visit as it wasn't super busy, but still came across as short staffed or unattentive. Others, please be warned.

1 Thank axf_08

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good, but not as good as everyone is raving about”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

I lived in the US for many years and have been to Mexico many times. I LOVE TexMex (which this is) and Mexican (which it definitely is not) food so was very surprised that (at the time of writing) this was the #1 "Mexican" restaurant on Tripadvisor in ALL of London (and that too in Edmonton!), so had somewhat high expectations as I've eaten in a number of "Mexican" places around town.

I went with my family on a Monday night, so it was pretty quiet, but I guess could be lively on Fri/Sat as some of the other reviews state, especially as the drinks were pretty strong - no complaints there :-)

The service was fine, if a little slow given that there was only one other couple in the place. We ordered a starter sampler which was fine, but the nacho chips were Doritos-style so could have been more authentic. The ribs were good and the tacos, chimichanga and chilli-co-carne were all decent with big size portions, but it certainly was not the very highly rated eatery that the other reviews are claiming.

Overall, we were satisfied and would recommend it to any one in the area, but I wouldn't go out of the way for it as I think there are better "Mexican" restaurants in town.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank HakimK494
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

At first I was a bit apprehensive about going to this place, however I couldn't have been proved more wrong.Being number 8 on trip advisor but in 'Edmonton,' I really wasn't sure what to expect.

I went on a Friday night, the ambience was spot on. A very relaxed atmosphere.
This is something that can't be faked no matter what decor you have!
At the end of the night, we even joined a Congo line with some other diners!

The service was great.
I am quite particular on service- the waitress really was lovely and genuine.
Not tip motivated, :) and looked after us really well.

The cocktails- what can I say?
Simply AMAZING.
There is a whole menu from sweet fruity ones to creamy ones.
As well as the contemporary and the Classics.
I have to say that they were better then the TGI ones!!!!

The Food!
Had the Beef Nachos which were out of this world.
You'd think that Nacho's were just Nacho's, but I have been truly educated.

I also sampled the jalapenos stuffed with cheese and the garlic mushrooms which were juicy and tasty too.

If you go here, nachos is something that you should definitely order with your cocktails.

The mains, were also amazing.
Chilli steaks which came on a sizzling plate and the deep fried fajita were amazing.
The portions were quite filling.The rice was also very tasty.

Dessert was also fantastic and interesting!
Try something new, you will be pleasantly surprised!
Not your standard desserts which can get boring overall!!

In terms of pricing and value for money.
Absolutely spot on.

I have to say that I would definitely recommend this place.
If you have reservations like myself- you REALLY will not be disappointed.
Once you try this Mexican place- you will most definitely eat anywhere else.

Drinks, Food and Service all spot on! Thank you for a wonderful experience!!

London
“Great place to dine and drink”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

Went here last night with my girlfriend, the atmosphere / ambience is amazing, the decor is excellent.
Service by the waitress's was prompt, attentive and polite at the same time (could not ask for more), the owner himself was very very friendly and welcoming, made us feel right at home and relaxed.

The cocktails are really really good (couldn't recommend them more) and strong!!
Starters were very tasty, especially the nachos!

The menu has a wide selection of mexican / cuban dishes as well as steak and burgers, but I would definately recommend the steak and tortilla wraps. The portions are very very generous, could not even finish the dishes, as we wanted have desserts which were also very very tasty.

The music was lively and we even had a bit of a dance, it was a really great atmosphere.

We are hoping to book / come here for a future birthday and even New years, it is just the place to be!

I just cannot recommend this place more, if your passing this place is definately worth a visit! (and a drink or 2!)

London, England, United Kingdom
“Cocktails....amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

Visited this great mexican for a girlie night out...wasn't disapointed. I love a good cocktail and Viva la Vida has an extensive list to choose from, between us i think we tried them all!
The food was excellent with really big portions and full of flavour.
Definately returning for some more!