“FAB & TRENDY HOTEL, NEXT TO DLR… WITH A ‘COOL’ POOL”
Review of Aloft London Excel

Aloft London Excel
Ranked #260 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Bimingham
“FAB & TRENDY HOTEL, NEXT TO DLR… WITH A ‘COOL’ POOL”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I stayed at the Aloft Hotel by ExCel from 30 December to 2 January (2013/2014) for New Year’s Eve in London. The hotel is, by London’s standard, good value for money and at an excellent standard too, with easy access to the new DLR route into the City. It is very trendy, unique from other hotel chains, with comfortable bedrooms and great facilities…and it is immaculate and very clean too.

WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL?

YES! I would definitely stay there again for sure and it was nice to come away from a hotel feeling positive and that the management are doing things right, which makes a change!

It is only 15 minutes away from Canary Wharf on the DLR, which is adjacent and next door to the hotel and a couple of minutes’ walk from the lobby. It took me less than 45 minutes to get to Covent Garden and Hyde Park and less than 30 minutes to Stratford.

The hotel is less expensive than other 4 star hotels nearer or Central to the City. It’s no less inconvenient to be further out near to ExCel. People think ExCel is too far out, which isn’t the case if you make use of the fabulous ‘new’ DLR and are familiar with the tube. It is also quiet and it was nice for me to be out of the hustle and bustle of the City.

It is a new hotel (I think!) and is immaculate. It is a quality hotel and ideal for professionals and couples/friends on a mini break.

London City airport is next door, but I couldn’t hear the planes due to the way the hotel is built and was remarkably quiet.

ARRIVAL/CHECK-IN

With all the new hotel complexes in the area, I did get slightly lost, as my SAT NAV wasn’t up to date with the Aloft’s new postcode, so I used the postcode from the Ramada hotel next door instead.

Once I arrived, I parked my car and prepaid my parking ticket when I checked-in at the hotel’s reception - parking was £14/day. I was glad I did it that way, as I didn’t know how to use the parking metre. The daily charge is valid from the time you park your car (or check-in) to 24 hours later. The reception staff were all really friendly, helpful and checked me in very quickly.

AMBIENCE

The hotel is stylish, but with a cosy feel. All the staff were dressed in jeans, relaxed and always helpful. It’s a warm hotel, in its ambience too, immaculate and clean.

BEDROOM

I stayed in room No.808, on the 8th floor, which had great views of the surrounding areas. It was a modern room, with a king sized comfortable bed. The room had two large full length narrow windows with black-out blinds for a good night’s sleep. There was a desk (not a dressing table) and a flat screen TV, with a keyboard. It caters for those who may wish to work from the hotel room. The TV however wasn’t that great, as it was full of international TV and News channels, with only a few UK channels to watch - I guess it catered for overseas guests too!

The bathroom I really liked. It was open planned with the sink in the main part of the room’s entrance way, with a sliding door to the toilet and then a glass door to the shower wet room. The hotel didn’t provide unnecessary toiletries, only the ones I really needed and there were dispensers in the shower. They offer shampoo/conditioner in-one, so I was glad I packed my own separate shampoo and conditioner. I would have liked a bathrobe, as one wasn’t provided.

There were drinks making facilities, but the hotel provided disposable cups, for drinks ‘on the go’, not china mugs.

There was a great hairdryer in the room too and as I have long hair, it took me minutes (no lie) to dry it, so I didn’t need to use my own. There was an iron and ironing board too.

The décor was as contemporary as the rest of the hotel. It is not minimalistic, but the walls are textured and balanced with a dark, warming colour scheme of black, greys, purples and more vibrant colours.

Overall the bedroom was lovely and wished I could have stayed longer, as the modern aspect of the room was very unique and appealing. It is not shabby like other hotel chains and everything was in working order, which again makes a change!

HOTEL FACILITIES

The hotel has a fully equipped gym, which I didn’t have time to use, but it looked pretty good. The pool was really modern, with dark grey tiles and purple strip lighting, with a large mirror at one end. The pool however was a little cold for the time of year and I did mention this to one of the staff members who said she’d look into it for me. I used the pool again and it was a little warmer that time. There is a sauna, which was nice, but the steam room next door wasn’t hot enough in my opinion. One day I used the pool, the doors to the sauna and steam rooms were left wide open, so I would suggest to the staff to check the area and make sure they are available to use at all times. I closed the doors, but it took a while to heat up. If this was for cleaning and maintenance purposes, then this should be done out of hours, to not inconvenience the guests. What was missing from the pool area was a toilet and toiletries for showering. A spin dryer for wet costumes would be a good thing too.

BAR/COFFEE SHOP

The WXYZ bar was really cool, with lots of comfortable, trendy seats. The drinks I ordered were quite pricey, typical London prices, but was disappointed that it was closed on the 2nd Jan. There was also one bar tender, so I had to wait 10 minutes to be served as he was labouring over making cocktails and chatting to other guests. All I wanted was a coffee and liquor, but when after waiting 10 minutes, I discovered the coffee machine didn’t work and had to go to the coffee shop instead. There is a pool table, which is free and a private TV room. I did see non-paying guests occupying the pool table and they were a slightly intimidating group of young locals. I guess they were there to have a drink.

As mentioned, the hotel has a coffee/snack shop which I thought was a really good idea. Not all hotels offer this and I see the benefit to professionals 'on the go' or those who may be working from the hotel (away from the office) and are looking for a light snack or lunch.

THERE IS MORE…

I didn’t use anything else at the hotel and I believe it offers more stuff, but I didn’t stay long enough or have the time to investigate further.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa-Marie1980

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 2, 2014

This was exactly what I was looking for. Many hotels downtown are quite old and small; it is convenient, however. The Aloft was new, spacious, and pretty convenient. The DLR station is pretty much right outside of the hotel, so it is easy to get to London. The room was also pretty spacious, but I did stay in a suite so I do not know much about the standard rooms. The suite had two bathrooms which was nice (one which had a shower). I also found the air beds to be a nice addition; it also wasn't that bad for adults. Although I did not get a chance to use the pool or gym, it was definitely a nice addition. Even though it is convenient to get to London, finding food outside in the vicinity was not easy. There aren't a whole lot of options in the area, so be prepared! The closes restaurants outside of the hotel was about 10-15 minutes away; there is a restaurant in the hotel, however. Overall, I was very happy with choosing Aloft. At first I was a little hesitant about it, but the convenience of the DLR helped a lot.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Recently stayed here over the new year and was more than satisfied with the services provided. The hotel offered a very simple, contemporary feel and was regularly cleaned and maintained by the hotel staff. The room was dimly lit which wasn't a problem for us but may prove a problem to others, especially those travelling as a family. The room includes A/C, 42" TV, king size bed (depending on what room you booked), mini fridge and lounge. We opted in for the breakfast package which entitled us to the breakfast buffet provided at the FEDE restaurant every morning. This consisted of typical full english breakfast items; bacon, eggs, hash browns, fruit, grains, juices etc. The hotel is conveniently located right next to Prince Regents DLR station making it easy to travel into London. The location itself is a bit of a dead town but the hotel offers everything needed so venturing outside isn't necessary. We didn't get to use the gym and pool facilities but will be sure to use them next time we stay!

Room Tip: Higher rooms offer a better view
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights back in November. Great location, great hotel. Room was extremely well designed with the extras you need like a hair dryer, iron and board. Being fairly new, is was still in good condition. Breakfast was great and staff extremely helpful. We'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

I recently traveled to London during the holidays and booked a room at this hotel through Delta Vacations. The hotel is attached to the London Excel Centre and right on the DLR train line (Prince Regent stop). The hotel was very modern, nice rooms, and extremely friendly staff. The hotel restaurant (Fede) was very tasty for dinner. The Aloft hotels have a "do it yourself" concept but I never felt like I had to fend for myself. The technology and amenities were top notch. I would definitely stay here again. It's about a 25 minute train ride to the center of London. Great hotel!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Modern, spotless and extremely comfortable. The pool,sauna & steam rooms are excellent for that little bit of relaxation needed to recharge. So convenient from Prince Regent station on the DLR, just a very short walk on one level. Staff very helpful, bar prices typically extortianate but the restaurant was fairly good value considering the quality of the food and presentation. Overall a great experience, one to be repeated.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the river have a better outlook as rooms at the back can be overlooked by the DLR. But...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Lagos
Reviewed December 28, 2013

I booked the Aloft to both add points to my SPG account and also get a value for money accommodation in London which as we all know is quite expensive hotel wise. My objective was to simply sleep and I achieved that quite easily here.

The Aloft is my kind of environment - clean, architecturally interesting inside and outside, functional in all aspects. When you go to the Aloft, you are not expecting butler service, rather, there's quite a bit of self service with most things you require conveniently placed within reach of either your credit card or your walking/elevator distance. I opted in for the English breakfast package and this did not disappoint on each day I stayed there - done just right and with extra free options on how you want your eggs done. I highly recommend the breakfast.

The accommodation itself was simplicity and well appointed with regular mod cons. The only mod con not on site was the iron & board which are in the laundry room so you go there to get stuff done. Comfy bed, nice tv, desk and a lovely chair which I would have gladly taken with me! Oh yes, free internet!!! Everything in the room is of very high quality regarding manufacture which was personally pleasing to my own sense of aesthetics.

Again, the Aloft is exactly what it says on the cover. Would easily default to staying there if I am in London again barring logistics considerations. Watching the preps for the London Boat Show coming up in January from my window was a bonus!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo