“The best Hotel in proximity to the Excel Centre”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Aloft London Excel

Aloft London Excel
Ranked #255 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Montreal
“The best Hotel in proximity to the Excel Centre”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

Hotel managers "make or break" their guest experiences and the Aloft's Excel London hotel manager is a testament to attention to details.

I have held back from my review for a few days to ensure I was able to once again immerse myself in the Aloft Experience. This is my second stay at this property, a part of the Starwood banner of Hotels. The Aloft is a modern, hip and young property. No "Old World" pretensions here.

The lobby is open, airy and alive, the reception staff is young, energetic and cheerful. I was received by Graeme with empathy for my fatigue and assurance that he would expedite the check in process to allow me to sleep off the red eye from North America.

The Aloft has a self serve food bar/convenience bar in the lobby which is generally well stocked with various food choices for breakfast. The FEDE restaurant just off the hotel is a good value for your money, with comfort foods, great soup/sandwich combos and excellent traditional british fare like fish and chips and bangers and mash.

A health nut? You will like the property's gym, pool and sauna area. All well maintained and modern. A nice place to relax and play after a long day of business at the Excel centre.

Proximity to the Excel centre is the best in the zone. It is literally a one minute walk from the hotel's second floor exterior door to the Excel centre. If you have a convention to attend, you are so close, you'll be comforted in the knowledge you can pop back into your room to freshen up before your next appointment.

Its Proximity to the Downtown core or "The Action" of London Proper is great. Do not worry about accessibility to the more touristy type of areas in London, a 20 minute DLR ride away and you are in the Tower district of London. London's famed Tube will get you anywhere you need to get quickly and efficiently.

All in all, a fantastic hotel, Im hooked. Im back every year for a yearly convention and I will never consider another property unless the Aloft's own success succeeds in rendering the price unattainable or if availability is ever an issue.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank StevenLazaroff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
DF
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Front desk is not awareof whats going on they work as robots, well even arobot with the right progam would be helpful and smile. Woerst of all I just can't understand it waiters does not provide service at all you get yourself everything and I mean everything when you ask for the check they ask you if you had a continental or full buffet and they ask for tip.

Aloft runs a great program in order to help the planet and is further than keeping same towels and linens they do not clean your room what is alright but they do not follow their own standards they do not give you your bottle wter nor your coffe. Do not bother to call to the front desk they are unable to solve anything.

The Hotel in facilities is great but service shame on you

Room Tip: I believe all are great I was afraid because my room was next to the lift but did not hear anything...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Turista2000
Tunis, Tunisia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

i had a visit with my husband to london and we spent 4 nights in this hotel. people there are very nice!!!! we really liked it!
rooms are clean and large we had a nice view from the window.
it's far from the city but it's near to a metro station just 3 min.
i recommand it to all visitors!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at aloft for around 2 weeks whilst exhibiting at the excel centre. I stayed in a suite and the room was modern and spacious but for the price I was disappointed with the cleanliness. Also we had several rooms booked then when we came to check in they were short on twin rooms for the duration so a bit of stress had to take place at check in.

• Stayed May 2012
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

we managed to pick up a great deal at this hotel so thought it would probably be too good to be true. we arrived to a speedy check in and a large twin room with very modern bathroom inc some nice touch toiletries. staff at the hotel were polite and helpful. Our room faced back toward the road and railway (not unexpected at such a budget price (£87) but incredibly quiet. Larger than average twin beds with lovely crisp linen and soft pillow (extra pillows in the wardrobe) we slept like babies. complimentary tea coffee and water in the room. next morning we got up fairly early (7am) and went for a swim in the lovely hotel pool and also took advantage of the sauna and steam room. Breakfast followed which was self serve continental buffet, we were allowed 3 items plus a hot drink which when you say it doesn't sound like much, however the breakfast offerings were brilliant, porridge, panninis, bagels, croisant, toast cereal, fresh fruit, muffins....etc.

check out was as quick and simple as check in and the hotel took care of our luggage and shopping from the previous day until we came back just before we had to go home.

I'd definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

On arrival I tried to check in at machine on arrival. After 15 mins of filling stuff in on a rather rubbish touch screen and putting my card in the computer went back to the start. Went to the desk to be told my check in had not been successful. Asked to hand over my card which I did.

Pool was freezing cold. A trolley full of towels was parked opposite room (had room on corner) with towels piled high and strewn across the floor during my whole stay.

Only stayed one night. We were out most of the evening. Came back just before 11. They had a Dj in but me and my partner were the only people in the bar and the music was incredibly loud.

Checked out the next day. Only one person on till on a busy Sunday morning so it took ages to check out.

A few days later I noticed my bank balance wasn't right. My bank told me the hotel was holding funds. Rung the hotel. I explained I could not have incurred any charges so why were they holding funds. The receptionist said he had no idea what I was talkin about and after 45 of arguing he took my email address to pass on the billion team because they dealt with this kind of thing. I received no response for days. Rung again and again and nothing happened.

So after some research I found out the email address of the manager and sent an email. She was away for 2 weeks. I emailed her second in command. I got a response to say he would investigate and asking me more details.

He took over a week to reply. Now two weeks later I was told apparently my check in at the self check in had worked. Apparently my funds would be back in my account within the week.

It took numerous emails back and forth and over three weeks for them to return the funds.

Charging double for a hotel room and taking over 3 weeks to return the funds was more than just inconvenient. Some of my direct debits bounded and i got charges. Even when I told them this I got no reply for weeks.

Got nothing but late emails and one apologetic email.

Waste of my time and effort. Would not recommend in case something goes wrong.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Qandeel W
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

We booked this hotel because of its location next to excel. It was perfect for that. Check in staff were not as welcoming as I have experienced in other hotels, I had a disagreement over my credit card even though room had been prepaid.Our room on the 5th floor was clean and functional. I didn't like the paper cups! The receptionist forgot to tell us that the room card was needed to work the lifts so spent ages trying to figure out what was wrong. My biggest complaint was the breakfast. When I book a hotel I really don't expect to sit at a coffee table with a tray on my knee eating with a plastic knife and fork. Not that there was a lot of eating to be done choice was very limited. If I need to stay in the docklands again I will be trying the Novotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple