“Great location”

Ranked #255 of 1,090 Hotels in London
United Kingdom
“Great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at aloft for around 2 weeks whilst exhibiting at the excel centre. I stayed in a suite and the room was modern and spacious but for the price I was disappointed with the cleanliness. Also we had several rooms booked then when we came to check in they were short on twin rooms for the duration so a bit of stress had to take place at check in.

• Stayed May 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

we managed to pick up a great deal at this hotel so thought it would probably be too good to be true. we arrived to a speedy check in and a large twin room with very modern bathroom inc some nice touch toiletries. staff at the hotel were polite and helpful. Our room faced back toward the road and railway (not unexpected at such a budget price (£87) but incredibly quiet. Larger than average twin beds with lovely crisp linen and soft pillow (extra pillows in the wardrobe) we slept like babies. complimentary tea coffee and water in the room. next morning we got up fairly early (7am) and went for a swim in the lovely hotel pool and also took advantage of the sauna and steam room. Breakfast followed which was self serve continental buffet, we were allowed 3 items plus a hot drink which when you say it doesn't sound like much, however the breakfast offerings were brilliant, porridge, panninis, bagels, croisant, toast cereal, fresh fruit, muffins....etc.

check out was as quick and simple as check in and the hotel took care of our luggage and shopping from the previous day until we came back just before we had to go home.

I'd definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

On arrival I tried to check in at machine on arrival. After 15 mins of filling stuff in on a rather rubbish touch screen and putting my card in the computer went back to the start. Went to the desk to be told my check in had not been successful. Asked to hand over my card which I did.

Pool was freezing cold. A trolley full of towels was parked opposite room (had room on corner) with towels piled high and strewn across the floor during my whole stay.

Only stayed one night. We were out most of the evening. Came back just before 11. They had a Dj in but me and my partner were the only people in the bar and the music was incredibly loud.

Checked out the next day. Only one person on till on a busy Sunday morning so it took ages to check out.

A few days later I noticed my bank balance wasn't right. My bank told me the hotel was holding funds. Rung the hotel. I explained I could not have incurred any charges so why were they holding funds. The receptionist said he had no idea what I was talkin about and after 45 of arguing he took my email address to pass on the billion team because they dealt with this kind of thing. I received no response for days. Rung again and again and nothing happened.

So after some research I found out the email address of the manager and sent an email. She was away for 2 weeks. I emailed her second in command. I got a response to say he would investigate and asking me more details.

He took over a week to reply. Now two weeks later I was told apparently my check in at the self check in had worked. Apparently my funds would be back in my account within the week.

It took numerous emails back and forth and over three weeks for them to return the funds.

Charging double for a hotel room and taking over 3 weeks to return the funds was more than just inconvenient. Some of my direct debits bounded and i got charges. Even when I told them this I got no reply for weeks.

Got nothing but late emails and one apologetic email.

Waste of my time and effort. Would not recommend in case something goes wrong.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Qandeel W
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

We booked this hotel because of its location next to excel. It was perfect for that. Check in staff were not as welcoming as I have experienced in other hotels, I had a disagreement over my credit card even though room had been prepaid.Our room on the 5th floor was clean and functional. I didn't like the paper cups! The receptionist forgot to tell us that the room card was needed to work the lifts so spent ages trying to figure out what was wrong. My biggest complaint was the breakfast. When I book a hotel I really don't expect to sit at a coffee table with a tray on my knee eating with a plastic knife and fork. Not that there was a lot of eating to be done choice was very limited. If I need to stay in the docklands again I will be trying the Novotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Pauline L
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

On arrival, I got awarded free drinks tickets because I send the hotel a suggestion regarding public transport options to get to the hotel.

That was a nice gesture. However, I also booked the room with 2 free cocktail vouchers.
Staff at reception first denied this, then came around with an oh, oops, you're right.
It all got sorted quickly, but finding out how to charge parking did take them the two days we were there. Again, not a problem, but it just looks like staff don't really know what the standard things to do are and they do seem rather young to be at reception.

In the bar, it got explained that the Signature Cocktail, we had four vouchers for, were for any drink we wanted. Since I was tired, I just got a coke and a beer for a friend. The bar man was really attentive and asked if I was sure I just wanted a coke, because I could get any drink I wanted. Great show that.

When I entered the room, wanted to take a shower, but the water started at about 38 degrees and only got hotter. Mentioned it to the staff and when I returned, 4 hours later, everything was fixed. Again, kudo's for that and I had my long shower.

In the bar that night, I asked for a Dalwhinnie Whisky for my free Cocktail coupon, but the new Bar man had to ask if that was allowed. I mentioned that the bar man Yesterday said everything was OK. In the end he got an OK from the person he called and I could enjoy a quality whisky.

The rooms are spacious and spotless! You don't often have that any more in London hotels, not even the higher end ones. Shower is nice and spacious, three types of cushions to choose from. The bed was excellent too.

Would stay here again, definitely. Though check-in staff is a bit weird as is the extra 50 pounds reserved on my Credit Card in case I wanted to use in room services and the almost on the sly one pound donation for a charity. Never had those things happen to me before.

Room Tip: All rooms are equally good.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
The Hague, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

Reasonably priced, really new, clean and modern, the staff were nice and helpful, the food was very nice and London City Airport was just a heartbeat away. Excellent choice if you are visiting London on business and self financing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

The hotel is perfectly based for ExCel and O2 arena. It is about 20-25 minutes from central london, however the connection is brilliant.
Rooms are very spacious and I cannot express how comfortable the bed is! It's absolutely huge..

The swimming pool and steam room is just an addition to great restaurant and bar. The staff is very friendly and helpful, very happy with the room being cleaned each day.

Overall, one of the best places I have stayed in London and I will definitely come back in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple