“Fabulous , cannot fault it”
Review of Aloft London Excel

Aloft London Excel
Ranked #263 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Leeds
“Fabulous , cannot fault it”
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I have stayed in many hotels when travelling down on business to London, however I find this to be the best hotel that I have stayed in by far.
The hotel is clean, the staff friendly and the rooms are fantastic with all you can want.
It makes a change to stay in a hotel where you are treated like a person and not 'another guest'.
Check in was nice & quick and I was given all the details I needed with it been my first tiime stay with them.
The beds are fanatastic and I slept really well.
They offer a complimentry shuttle service to Canary Wharf and it is very efficient with no waiting.
I loved the bottles of water and the lovely 'smellies' & shampoo. I loved the grab & go breakfast too and the food on offer was delicious
I am quite a fussy person but I cannot fault this hotel or its staff in anyway. I will book this hotel everytime I need to travel on business to London

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank CheeCheeA
AloftLondonExcel, General Manager at Aloft London Excel, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Hey CheeCheeA,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write.
As one of our newest Aloft fans, we hope you follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay connected to what is happening at Aloft London Excel. We are planning a number of music events for the rest of the year and I am sure next time you will be with us, the place will be buzzing again.

TO TIP for first time guests: you said it all - our easy-breezy complimentary shuttle to Canary Wharf. Runs in the morning and evening Monday to Friday. Just sign up at the Front Desk.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

julia.harnischfeger@alofthotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Plainfield, New Jersey
Reviewed April 2, 2012

The Aloft London Excel is a great hotel. The staff is polite and friendly. The room was spacious and well kept. It's close to public transportation and a new "mall" is next to it.
When I go back to London, I will be staying at the Aloft. Because it's not close to the heart of the city, it is peaceful and the tube station is right there. You can enjoy the sights and be dropped off right at the hotel. I hope there's an Aloft in America.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Michelle S
Hello Michelle S,
WOW, we are celebrating the perfect score you gave us based on your recent stay. We could not ask for more and are excited to hear you loved Aloft London Excel. We hope we can get you excited if you hear that there are over 45 Aloft hotels in the USA, that's where our fabulous brand originated. Personally, I have met the team from Aloft Harlem, New York,, they are really cool and deliver great service. If you get a chance to stop by and stay with them, say hello fromthe Aloft team in London.

All properties are listed on the Aloft Hotels website, enjoy exploring!

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2012

The only good thing to say about this newly opened hotel is that it is ideally placed if you are attending a meeting at Excel, which is right next door. Otherwise, there is very little to commend it. The front desk staff need training very badly, the decor is uber-chic but sadly lacking in functionality (having nowhere sensible to put your towels in the bathroom?), and the breakfast is frankly inadequate and not satisfactory for a 4 star hotel (only toast bread and no rolls of any kind, frequently running out of milk etc etc). The staff are perfectly pleasant and the hotel is clean, but I am afraid that does not make up for all the other deficiencies. I was not alone among colleagues who attended the meeting at Excel who reported these problems so I am sure this was not an isolated experience. Dont stay here unless you need to.

Hello idandb,
Thank you for your review and taking the time to write. We are pleased to hear that you valued the location of Aloft London Excel. We are the only hotel directly connected to ExCeL, this really can make a difference when you want to quickly come back to the hotel during a conference or exhibition.

I am sorry to hear about the issues you experienced. Re:fuel, our grab&go area including an Aloft-style breakfast set-up, is very popular with our guests, who are looking for a hassle-free and quick option in the mornings. When you were with us, we did not deliver on this promise and seem to have run out of the two items you mention. I would like to make this right for you on a future stay, please contact me directly to discuss.

Thank you for the positive comments about the team and the cleanliness of the hotel. We are happy to hear this.

IMPROVEMENT INSIGHT: we are hearing that some of our guests, like yourself, would prefer an extra hook or rail in the bathroom for the towels. We are currently looking into how to best install this. Thank you to all for this feedback.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Nice staff--assist me in checking early and fast service.
Roksana was very helpful.
Room was comfortable and shower/vanity areas were great. I like this hip hotel--lots of electrical outlets and computer hookups!! Outstanding
I like to stay far from the city center with transport nearby--this was a godsend.
I will stay again..

Room Tip: Allow 70 minutes travel on the DLR/Tube just to get to Heathrow!!! City Airport is nearer.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank areacode323
AloftLondonExcel, General Manager at Aloft London Excel, responded to this review, April 1, 2012
Hey areacode323,
Thank you for the positive review and of course we will share your feedback with Roksana, one of our stars at the Front Desk.

We understand that an early check-in can make a huge difference after a long travel and I am glad to know that the team once again, as for so many of the recent reviewers, managed to deliver this special touch.

TOP TIP: Let us know your arrival time and whenever possible, we will have a room ready for you.

Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed March 30, 2012

Great hotel. Comfortable and convenient. Close to train station. The staff is great and very helpful. Bliss bath amenities!

2 Thank Stella081
Hey Stella081,
Bliss bath amenities always seem to receive a special mention, and we know why: they are simply fabulous. We are glad to hear you enjoyed them as well.
Let me know when you are next staying, and we put a few extra in your room to take home and pamper yourself! Or meanwhile, check out some of the American Aloft's you will find Bliss there.

See you soon again at our sassy space in the Docklands.

Falmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 28, 2012

My husband attended a meeting at the ExCel convention center so we stayed 2 nights at the Aloft. It's a gorgeous sleek, elegant hotel, beautifully appointed with spacious rooms and comfy beds. I wasn't feeling well and was so thankful, that if I had to stay in my room to rest, at least I was in a luxurious comfortable room. The staff was extremely accommodating. First of all, we arrived at 9am and, unlike the Bedford Hotel which i just reviewed, our room was ready and we were checked in immediately. The first room we were in turned out to be noisy due to a family with young children next door. I requested a room change and they responded immediately with a new room, 2 floors up and a river view. The only criticism I have is that the restaurant on site, FEDE, is not affiliated with the hotel so there's no room service and the menu is limited. Since the hotel is located in the Docklands, there's not much else around so the dining options are not great. But the hotel is fantastic and I would recommend it to anyone attending an ExCel meeting.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view
Hello Marian2,
First of all, we hope you are feeling better. It is never nice to travel when feeling unwell, it was a pleasure for the team to reach out and look after you as best as we could. I am glad to hear we could make the early check-in happen.
Thank you for taking the time to write the review, we look forward to welcoming you back.

TOP TIP for all future guests: Re:stock is our version of a mini-shop. We have all the items you might have forgotten, from adaptors to toiletries and medicine. You do not even need to leave the hotel. Easy-breezy.

Aloft London Excel
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed March 25, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights because I was attending a Zumba instructor's conference (Feb 24-26, 2012) at the adjacent ExCel London. The hotel room and facilities had a nice, contemporary decor. Our room was comfortable and had a view of the river and city. The French guy (sorry didn't get his name) at the front desk who checked us in was very professional and respectful. We were unhappy to have had to wait for 3 hours before we could be checked into a room after having just traveled from the USA. The hotel was inundated with Zumba conference attendees who wanted to check in that same morning. The French guy's professional attitude made up for the frustrating long wait. In contrast, the restaurant wait staff service was extremely poor. The waiters obviously lacked training. I went in for lunch one afternoon, was given a table, but walked out after 25 min when no one took my order. The waiters were not busy, they were just not looking after their customers.

Overall, I was very pleased with my stay. The hotel is in an extremely convenient location for ExCel conference attendees. I was able to walk up to my room for a rest or access to wifi even on short breaks from the Zumba conference. Others have had to have a longer commute on foot or via the tube to get to ExCel. My only complaint however is that an extra charge appeared on my credit card bill for 22.51 pounds for "online, mail or telephone transaction". This was an illegitimate charge given that wifi connection was supposed to be free and I did not make any phone call or use their mail service. My credit card company is currently helping me dispute the charges. It appears that I will be credited the amount but I have not received it so far. Avoid the restaurant.

Room Tip: I had a room with a view of the river and the city on the 8th floor which was very nice.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello ViajeraFord,
Thank you for your feedback about your stay and taking the time to review the hotel and the restaurant. Great to hear that our team made you feel welcome on check-in, we have shared your special mention with the talent. The week with Zumba was fun and we enjoyed it as much as all the attendees.

I have also shared your feedback with FEDE Restaurant, who are located within our hotel and while they are a separate business, we work closely together. This feedback is incredibly valuable, please accept our apologies for the lack of service.

I would like to assist to resolve any questions about your credit card charge and would be pleased to speak to you personally to receive more details. Please feel free to contact me. We take credit card security very seriously and this could only have been a genuine mistake which we will be able to resolve.

We hope to see you again.