“Nice pianist”

Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: South Kensington
Description: CheckMate Bar, Lounge and Restaurant occupies the ground floor of Kensington���s Park International Hotel. Its location in chichi southwest London makes this an ideal stop off after a visit to the area���s many museums and attractions, or for guests at the hotel. The d��cor follows a unique black and white chess theme, making this a glamorous place to kick back and relax. The raison d'��tre at CheckMate Bar, Lounge and Restaurant is cocktails ��� well-trained staff are skilled at preparing a wide range of delicious drinks. The menu features both pan Asian and traditional British pub dishes, meaning you can enjoy anything from a fragrant pad Thai to a hearty burger and chips, depending on your mood. The menu changes regularly and there are also daily specials, and a range of bar snacks.
Reviewed November 25, 2018 via mobile

I stayed recently whilst on business in London and ate here. Staff very friendly and accommodating. Food had a good selection and I chose the mozzarella chicken which was nice. Drinks are expensive at over ten pounds for a glass of wine. I was about to return to my room, being female I’m not too comfortable sitting in a bar by myself, however the pianist began to play and it was so lovely it completely relaxed me so I stayed longer. Unfortunately the hotel also attracts tourists and there were some obnoxious Canadians in the bar heckling people for not clapping enough?? So I returned to my room.

Date of visit: November 2018
1  Thank Mrstracyhiggs

Reviewed November 12, 2018

I had booked a table for 3 people for 9pm. In a footnote I did inform the Resturant that we could be delayed due to the face we were attending the Service of remembrance at the RAH. We were running late by 40 minutes, but as the booking site claimed you could make a reservation up until 23.30hrs we thought we would be okay. Sadly note We arrived to be greeted by a very abrupt waitress saying that we were late, and claimed to have tried to call us twice on my mobile number.A lie as there was no record of any phonically to my number. We were told that the kitchen closes at 22.00hrs. Pointing out it was 21.45 we still had time. She would check with the chef! As she did so a table of 10 people arrived, who were all residents of the hotel that the restaurant is connected to and had also just arrived back from the RAH. With reluctance and poor attitude we were informed the chef would take our order if we were quick. We placed our two course order thinking we could now enjoy our meal. Our starter arrived and before we had finished our main order was placed on the table. I informed the waitress that as she could see we hadn't finished so could she please remove the main course back to the kitchen. Sorry No the kitchen is closed, but the table of 10 were still sat down waiting to receive their meal! So how could the kitchen be closed? We were made to feel a total inconvenience. I checked with the website which stated that at any day I could make a booking up to 23.30hrs. Enough was enough. I went to the manager at the hotel reception. Although very sorry there was nothing she could actually do. Pointing out that the Resturant closes at 22.00hrs. I showed her the booking site ! to prove she was wrong. I asked for the bill as I had had enough of the appalling service. When I was presented with the bill they were trying to charge my 9% service charge!!!!!!!!!!! I returned the bill to the waitress asking if she was "kidding" as her service was appalling. I explained I wanted the bill corrected without the service charge by this time she had the look as though she was chewing a mouthful of lemons. I eat regularly in the city but have never ever received such poor service. The only reason I chose this restaurant was because it was close to the RAH and close to the hotel my friends were staying at. I would like to point out the food was acceptable. The other table of 10 were served their meal at 22.15hrs !

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed October 29, 2018

Had afternoon tea there. Excellent selection and great price if staying at the Park Intl Hotel. Nice finger sandwiches and desserts. Great tea.

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank Bob Z
Reviewed October 5, 2018

Stayed at the Park International Hotel and was delighted to have a really nice eatery on site. Menu was with many options and the 4 times we ate there, we had 4 excellent meals

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank sudden
Reviewed October 5, 2018 via mobile

We went early and it was nice and quiet but don't be fooled this is a lovely place to eat. The scallop appetizer was very good as was the rack of lamb. Staff attentive without being intrusive. I would gladly eat there again and highly recommend it

Date of visit: October 2018