“great place!”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Southwark
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Have been here a couple of times - admittedly when it's been a bit quieter. Like the concept & the food is delicious!

Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

Firstly, the food is good. I came here about ten minutes before closing and they fed me well. I had a lovely pizza with veal slices, rocket and a tuna sauce drizzled over it. A lot nicer than it sounds.

Food aside, I really don't get the concept here. Firstly you need to be briefed on how to order (your order gets billed to a card) and you settle the bill at the end. Why bother with the card when you could just pay as you go? They accept contactless payments, so why not use them when you're ordering?

Second, you need to order each part separately from a different counter. I personally couldn't be bothered with the whole thing so just had a pizza. There was a separate and adjacent antipasti counter but it just seems laboured to speak to two separate people standing right next to each other to order two different courses.

You then get a pager for when your order is ready for collection, and it buzzes and you get your food. This seems like far too much hassle if you're ordering a lot of different food.

My suggestion to this place - why don't you have a person who will take your entire order then deliver it to your table?? These people would wait for you to order, and wait until it was ready, then wait until you were finished and clear away your plates. Let's call them waiters and waitresses.

It just seems like too much of a quirky concept, which is a shame as the food is really good. I just think they're trying too hard to burden themselves with something that other restaurants don't do because it doesn't work for them.

However, London is a massive place with loads of restaurants, so they all need to try and stand out. This succeeds in that respect, but for the right reasons??

1  Thank AlasdairMc
Reviewed September 30, 2012

One of the main problems with having large, floor to ceiling windows, all the way around your restaurant is that you can see in!

I was meeting some friends in the back of the restaurant, I spotted them 5 minutes before I got to the front door. However, I couldn't get through to them due to an arrogant, egotistical 'host' who stopped me dead in my tracks.... "Where are you going?" Was the question I recieved from this mini Hitler. When I told him I was just meeting friends, he told me I couldn't! "You must use one of these cards" I was told. I listened to the briefing about how the restaurant worked and finally found my friends.

The food was good and reasonable value. The wine list is good with and decent selection of Italian wines as well as other countries.

The last straw was shortly before closing time I went to make I phone call outside to be faced with "you better be quick, we are almost closed" which was just awful. And then, when returning to my table, I was stopped by a member of staff who was hanging around waiting to go home. She said "hey! Where are you going?"

The restaurant is good, however, if you are going to offer a self service, what's the point of staff being there who have no idea you exist!

Very rude, awful staff but food was alright.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

As we walked in we found out from the manager this is a sort of self service. Izzy is from Dubai and a very good manager, he told us all about the restaurant and took us to a great seat. He explained everything and we had massive fun joining in the essence of this restaurant which is in essence an Italian 'Wagamama's' - After being skeptical we loved it and the food was great...

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Most unusual. You are given a swipe card when you enter and then you make your own choice of food and the chefs cook it in front of you. You swipe your card & it registers the cost of your dish. Very helpful - you can see the amount you have spent so far. The restaurant has a good atmosphere too and lovely views of stunning buildings from the window, being situated in Southwark Street.