“Best Sunday roast ever”

The Penny Black Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: South Kensington
Description: The Penny Black Restaurant & Bar is at the forefront of British dining in the Chelsea area. Located on the "Beach" area of the Fulham Road, the Penny Black was established in early 2011 and has garnered an enviable reputation for making food that you simply want to eat! With an extensive menu famous for Beef Wellington and one of the best Sunday roasts in London, the Penny Black offers a casual yet sophisticated dining experience with unrivalled service standards. A new buzzing bar at the front of the restaurant shows off world-class cocktails and a wine list featuring almost 100 wines all available by the glass or half bottle carafe. The cosy bar tables in particular are always in high demand so booking is essential. A private dining floor seating up to 32 guests complements a bespoke events service and a renowned external catering division. The Penny Black Restaurant & Bar is truly the place to be for those in the know!
Singapore, Singapore
“Best Sunday roast ever”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Went up for the Sunday roast and was not disappointed.
Started the evening off with some delicious cocktails at the bar followed by a truly delicious Sunday roast that has my mouth watering right now as i think about it.

Really very well cooked lamb inside a huge yorkshire pudding surrounded with juicy roast vegetables topped off with gravy. Absolutely perfect. Wonderfully presented and a joy to eat. Highly recommend.

The cocktails were great. We didn't order from the menu. We were asked what sort of flavors we wanted to taste and got custom tailored drinks to match.

• Visited July 2013

“Great food”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We had a great meal at The Penny Black restaurant on 17/08/13. We booked on Toptable so we had an early evening booking (6.30pm). The prices were quite steep, but with the Toptable 50% discount the bill was very reasonable. We had 3 courses and wine each and the bill (including service) came to 80 pounds. Of note is that the portion sizes were really generous - we ordered a side portion (truffle chips) each with our main courses (beef wellington) and neither of us could finish our food. The quality of the food itself was very good and none of the courses disappointed. We would happily go back again.

• Visited August 2013
Aquitaine, France
“Great food, strange waitress”
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

The food was excellent. A smoked haddock, poached egg and hollandaise sauce entree was perfect, and my main "gourmet burger" was perfectly cooked medium rare as asked, and was really tasty.
Wine prices are higher than they should be, obvious to me for the Bordeaux wines (where I live), and definitely higher than they should be priced for the 2nd wines of the big chateaux, and for the indifferent years on offer.
But .... Our waitress was somewhat weird.
She really knows nothing about wine, not how to present it, nor how to open a bottle, nor how to serve it, and questioned my request for an ice bucket for an overly warm Pinot noir.
She hovered, asking us how our meal was going about 4 times per course, knew nothing about the desserts (suggesting a chocolate fondant to my host when he asked for something light), and then told him he needed to add a tip on top of the 12.5% service charge which had been automatically added to the bill.
My impression is that it's a good kitchen, but they need to spend some time training their serving staff.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank LesH211
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent Roast But Extras Over Priced”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We visited the Penny Black for Sunday lunch.

I had the roast lamb and it really was delicious. The lamb was perfectly cooked (medium) and came with the usual roast potatoes, cauliflower cheese and veg. served in a giant yorkshire pudding with a rich gravy. I eat out a lot and I find that it's rare to find a Sunday roast that's as good as home cooked but this really was superb and one of the best that I have had recently.

My friend had roast cod with the truffle chips which she said was delicious.

The service was a little slow but that's purely down to there only being one waitress on. She was very helpful but run off her feet a little.

My only complaint is that the cost of extras was astronomical and what started out as a 2 course roast dinner for £25 each, quickly turned into a £100 bill for two, with the addition of a couple of drinks, some bread and water and what we had did not justify the final bill compared to other restaurants I have eaten in and others in the area.

It was very quiet and there were only two other occupied tables while we were there. Given the quality of the food I would suggest that this is probably a reflection on the value for money or lack of it.

I really enjoyed it here but wouldn't come back at this price; there are other restaurants that do it a little better in this price bracket.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Emma_A_London
London, United Kingdom
“Not quite sure”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Most of the reviews for this restaurant are excellent and don't get me wrong it is good but I'm not convinced.

We went on a Tuesday night and it was empty, this would normally result in very attentive staff but getting a drink, let alone a menu was like getting blood out of a stone. Quite a few things seemed to be unavailable as 'there was only one chef on'. How can you run out of Gordons gin?!

We finally ordered and waited for quite a while for our food, I accept that if you want good freshly cooked food it takes time, that is why I like to order pretty soon after arriving not 40 minutes or so. I didn't have a starter but the girls enjoyed theirs though I thought the salad of the day didn't look that exciting. I had ordered the Beef Wellington as it has so many rave reviews, it was well cooked but to my view you should not be able to taste flour in the pastry. What i would say is that the Truffle Chips with the burger were amazing.

I forget what pudding I ordered but I do remember thinking it was good.

We did order coffee, one of us wanted skimmed milk but they didn't have any! I did ask why they couldn't pop over the road to the convenience shop to get some?!

In summary, this is clearly a good restaurant but it seems to suffer from reliability issues. I will probably try again and at that point make my final decision.

• Visited July 2013