“Truly amazing restaurant”

The Penny Black Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Description: The Penny Black Restaurant & Bar is at the forefront of British dining in the Chelsea area. Located on the "Beach" area of the Fulham Road, the Penny Black was established in early 2011 and has garnered an enviable reputation for making food that you simply want to eat! With an extensive menu famous for Beef Wellington and one of the best Sunday roasts in London, the Penny Black offers a casual yet sophisticated dining experience with unrivalled service standards. A new buzzing bar at the front of the restaurant shows off world-class cocktails and a wine list featuring almost 100 wines all available by the glass or half bottle carafe. The cosy bar tables in particular are always in high demand so booking is essential. A private dining floor seating up to 32 guests complements a bespoke events service and a renowned external catering division. The Penny Black Restaurant & Bar is truly the place to be for those in the know!
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I have visited The Penny Black twice, for NYE 2011/2012 and then dec last year. The atmosphere is great very friendly, cosy and very welcoming! The service is as good as some of the top restaurants I have dined in, very attentive, friendly and helpful staff. The best part was the food! Amazing menu and every course was just out of this world!!!!! They also have a great selection of wines...just all round perfection! My friends and I have had the best time at The Penny Black. Will be visiting soon for my b'day!

3  Thank Ishari D
Penny_Black_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Penny Black Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Thank you for your lovely comments about the restaurant. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed January 26, 2013

I was over here for holiday from Hong Kong with a few friends of mine. Before I came my friends recommended me to have a meal at Penny Black which they say was fantastic. I was advised to book in advance, and I was glad that I did, because on arrival I found that the restaurant was full. 2 of us that evening had tornado rossini and the other 2 had beef wellington, and they were all superbly done. We were much impressed with the long and varied wine list, and the guy who explained the wines to us was very knowledgeable. Service was very friendly and efficient and the setting was very comfortable. We also had a drink at the bar before dinner and the atmosphere was buzzy and welcoming. This restaurant compares to the best restaurant of European food in Hong Kong but at considerably less cost.

2  Thank HKMusic
Penny_Black_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Penny Black Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Thank you Sir for your lovely review. We are delighted we could leave you happy memories of British food to take back to Hong Kong.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

I've been dining at The Penny Black with a friend, the restaurant is cosy and warm, with a great atmosphere. We started with aperitives, an exquisite dirty martini (beautiful classic cocktail list!) and a glass of Taittinger rosé. As starter we choose a steak tartare and chicken livers (amazing!) Followed by Beef Wellington and Tornedos Rossini: both were cooked at perfection, and the quality of the meat was superbe! The wine list is extensive and includes wines from all over the world, we decided eventually for a bottle of Paulliac but we both agreed that we'll come back to try other wines (all available by the glass and carafe) and to enjoy other dishes (fois gras burger was my second option). Chocolate fondant as dessert was gorgeous, higly recommended for chocolate lovers like me!!! Service was spotless, overall the experience has been great!

3  Thank federicatalato86

We were delighted to have welcomed you into our little restaurant and hope that you will be able to make a return visit in the future.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

what a wonderful experience here at this restaurant. i visited recently with my wife for our anniversary, mid week. The staff / food / drinks / service and atmosphere was simply wonderful, i don't think we could fault it. when I asked if they could recommend a wine, i was blown away with the offering of pairing some wine with our food courses. We started with a salmon tartar to share (we wanted 3 courses!), paired with Cloudy Bay sauvignon, this was a perfect marriage. I then had a Tournedos Rossini and my wife guinea fowl, the pairing again was fantastic, Amaraone and Voss Estate Pinot Noir. You could not have asked for better service. After the richness and delicate flavours of this food, we simply relaxed and had the simpleness of ice cream. This restaurant has to be visited, highly recommended.

2  Thank marcus h

I hope your wife and yourself enjoyed your anniversary dinner here at Penny. We do take great pride in our wines, hence why we offer matching wine flights and also the vast majority of wines by the glass or half bottle carafe.

I hope you will take the opportunity to visit us again to try some other interesting bottles!

Reviewed December 16, 2012

We had a groupon voucher for chateaubriand at Penny Black and we anticipated great things from this place, especially when the reviews are quite high. The service was wonderful, we had really great attentive service throughout the meal, perhaps it was because it was a quiet night but if they could maintain that level of service during a busy service, I'd be very impressed.

We ordered extra starters (not part of the deal) and my pulled duck salad with orange was really lovely and fresh. My boyfriend's salmon tartare was good but he said it had a bit too much lemon and he would have liked to taste the salmon a bit more rather than the lemon.

The chateaubriand came with chips infused with truffle oil, some leaves, jus and bearnaise sauce - this was lovely and we had request for rare so when it came, it would have been perfect if it was a touch rarer. Wish the portions was a tad bigger but the meat was juicy, and we could cut it with a fork.

We ended with a really lovely lemon posset, it was creamy with a crumbly top and not too sweet. They have a very good and extensive selection of wine, relatively well priced for a restaurant of this calibre. The food was not fussy, it was done well and we had a good time. Its quite romantic, with low lights, tealight candle and most of the diners were couples. Its not cheap, but then, this is Chelsea.

4  Thank Bee K

We are delighted you enjoyed your dinner with us and hope that you will revisit us in the near future