“very pleasant stay”

Ranked #82 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Berlin, Germany
“very pleasant stay”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

historical setting, high quality interior, extremely friendly and helpful staff. Spent only one night but felt almost at home. Very nice surprise: a good bottle of Cote du Rhone as a birthday present. Will come again! :)

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
altmon, General Manager at The Montcalm at the Brewery London City, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Dear Thomas

I am delighted to learn you had a wonderful stay with us; thank you for sharing your positive thoughts.

Our team here at the Montcalm London City consistently makes every effort to provide an excellent service to all our guests.

I am sure that your recent visit will encourage you further to stay with us on the regular basis.

Montcalm Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I stay here on a very regular basis and this review is long overdue. Although my trips are business related it is a great place to come back to at the end of a long day. It is a luxurious looking hotel with an incredibly friendly, helpful and professional team. Even if and when I've had the odd problem or special request (as you would expect having spent a few months there over the past two years) the response is always swift and as accommodating and helpful as it can possibly be. I can single out several of the friendly folks that work here but this would just not be fair as the whole team, is such a pleasure to be around.

My favourite part of the hotel is the cosy Club Lounge, a great place to meet and greet clients and business partners or to meet friends. You always feel welcome!

All the rumours about getting lost in the hotel; you will get lost in the maze trying to find your room at some point, don't panic, enjoy it, it is part of the experience and fun of visiting the "Montcalm at the Brewery".

I can be harsh in my view on hotels as I often live in them and are probably not very easily pleased but the "Montcalm at the Brewery" is my favourite hotel and it is a great place to come back to!

An excellent location, great hotel and a wonderful team.

Room Tip: The Club Rooms are great as it allows access to the Club Lounge!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Ronald

Thank you so much for such an amazing review and we are very happy, that the Montcalm London City with its facilities and services is up to your satisfaction and that you enjoy your stay every time you here.

Our friendly and attentive staff will go the extra mile for our guests and nothing is too much to ask for, if it comes to putting a highlight on our guests stay.

The Montcalm London City is built within a listed property; it used to be the Whitbread Brewery. So its quirky layout is due to its original features, this, together with our modern décor, gives our property a charm which is unique.

The location of the hotel is very convenient. We are just 5 minutes walk away from the Moorgate and the Barbican tube stations what provides excellent connection for London attractions and sightseeing

I would like to thank you once again for your lovely comments about our team and property and we can't wait to welcome you back.

scot in england
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I stayed here with my husband for 2 nights. All hotel staff from arrival were very attentive and helpful. Beautifully decorated rooms and the most comfortable of beds and pillows. The Hermes products in the bathroom were a treat - and the rainfall shower was amazing. Perfect location for Barbican Centre and overall a very good price for central London. Just a short walk from tube stations Barbican and Moorgate and the area itself has lots to offer

Dear Guest

The location of the hotel is very convenient. The closest underground stations are the Barbican and the Moorgate. The Liverpool station also presents excellent connections with the underground network and offers a wide connection with the national rail service, including the Stansted Express.

On behalf of entire Montcalm London City Team, I would like to thank you once again for your lovely comments about our team and property and hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back.

Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2014

The Montcalm hotel website does not do this hotel justice! On arrival it was such a surprise to find a hotel that was not overselling itself, by a long shot. Everything was fantastic and the price was exceptional for such a great location. On check in we was asked if this was for a special occasion, which it was and within 15 minutes of being in the room a birthday cake & card arrived at our door from the hotel and receptionist.
This is a gem of a hotel, the staff and facilities are 1st rate. Don't miss out!

Dear Matthew

Thank you for taking your valued time to share such a wonderful review following your stay with us at the Montcalm London City.

I am thrilled to learn that you have chosen our hotel to celebrate your special occasion and that the hotel team has managed to meet your expectations.

Rest assured I have shared your wonderful comments with our team, who was delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful time and everyone is looking forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel in the nearest future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I stay at the Montcalm every time I am in London. I have a very good relationship with them and everything is always dealt with in a very personal manner. From the very moment you enter the doors you are greeted with a gentlemen in top hat and tails who takes care of everything.

Due to the personal nature of the hotel I decided to put my Mother there for her birthday while I was in LA. I made one phone call to the hotel and the manager did everything else. To say I was impressed is an understatement. My parents were given the best two story suite in the hotel and she even had a birthday cake delivered! None of this was arranged by myself, the wonderful staff at the Montcalm took it upon themselves to make my Mother's birthday one to remember.

As a result I am extremely grateful for everything they have done and I will continue to stay there every time I am in London.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Jason_Appleton
altmon, General Manager at The Montcalm at the Brewery London City, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Jason

Thank you for sharing such a fantastic review on this forum.

I am thrilled to learn that you have chosen our hotel for your mother to celebrate her birthday and we have made this special occasion a memorable one and the hotel team has managed to meet her expectations .I am delighted that she was given a lovely upgraded room on this occasion. Our Barbican Duplex Suites are really stunning.

Rest assured I have shared your wonderful comments with our team, who was delighted to hear that your mother had such a wonderful time and everyone is looking forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel in the nearest future.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights whilst attending a wedding nearby. The hotel's location was perfect for us but being in the city most things nearby are shut on Sundays. It is located in the old Whitbread Brewery which has been sympathetically converted into a beautiful characterful hotel. The rooms were very comfortable. It did not seem like some of the rather faceless modern purpose built boxes that you tend to find. It has its own restaurant and separate pub, the Jugged Hare which have access straight from Chiswell Street. Both have a nice atmosphere again not too stuffy although the Hare was extremely busy on the Friday night and service consequently very poor. We had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant both of which were very good. Easy walk to Barbican or Moorgate tube stations. Any criticisms? The windows in our bedroom had been sealed so we could not open them. This was probably because of potential noise problems from aircon units but we do like to have our windows open at night. Also the view was a blank wall but we were not really there for the view. To be fair there was air conditioning in the room which once we got used to it meant we could control the temperature properly. The pillows were also a bit hard. We should have asked for a change but did not do so. Also found the bath/shower controls very difficult (despite instructions) resulting in me spraying my clothes with water! Would certainly stay there again if we needed a spot in the city.

Dear Martin

Thank you so much for sharing your valuable comments on this forum after your recent stay with us. We always appreciate feedback from our guests as this helps us to improve our service and product.

The Montcalm London City is located in the heart of London’s financial district. Despite this the area is full of life and our Concierge team has a vast knowledge of every exciting place around us.
This includes landmarks, restaurants, bars, museums and many more.

I am delighted you enjoyed dining in the Jugged Hare, one of our restaurants. Why not try our fine dining restaurant for lunch or dinner, the Chiswell Street Dining Rooms, when you are here during the week.

With regards to our windows, due to the health and safety compliance we keep them closed. However this can be open on request.

I regret to find out that our pillows were quite hard for you. The Montcalm London City has a pillow menu which is available at reservation stage or, if the guest prefers we can also change pillows upon arrival and at any time during the stay.

Thank you, once again, for sharing your feedback on this forum I am sure that your recent visit will encourage you to return and we are already looking forward to look after you again.

Murcia, Spain
Reviewed April 28, 2014

My stay was truly memorable. The hotel has a great location and the price was very reasonable considering the fantastic quality of the hotel. The staff were very friendly, welcoming and helpful. The room was lovely and well equipped. I would definitely recommend this hotel, as I know I will be returning very soon.

Dear Guest