“Great hotel”

Ranked #221 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great hotel”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My company books this hotel for employees who are working in the area and it is a very nice hotel, everything is modern and clean.

The room was a bit small but decorated to a high standard and the shower was a multi-headed excellent experience. The central location and facilities on offer (gym, pool, free wifi) would make an extended stay very comfortable and convenient.

I didn't have an evening meal but did upgrade to the cooked breakfast for £5. There were no problems with queues or selection of hot food - egg, bacon, beans, sausages - the usual suspects.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (799)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Amazing hotel one of the best I have stayed in while living here in England. Staff were Great the first thing I asked was where I could park and they gave me a map and showed me where immediately . Room was immaculate and spacious and bathroom was spotlessly clean with a great shower. Pool and Spa area was very good and we had a nice swim. In the evening we had a few drinks in the bar which was lovely and the bar staff were very polite and helpful. Nice smart TV in the room which makes a change. Quick checkout. Great hotel. Stay here if you want to eat at nice restaurants overlooking the hotel. You are also next to the tower of London (obviously) which is fun.

• Stayed August 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I don't normally write a review, but after a recent 2 day visit felt I needed to comment. We arrived Saturday at just gone 2.30pm only to be told check-in on weekend is not until 3pm so please take a seat. I'm sure our room was ready but their T&C's stated the check-in time so we waited. The reception area is very modern but quite narrow. When we got to our room it is again modern with a separate bathroom (just like photos on tripadvisor), though not that big. The hotel is quite warm and the room air-con does not go below 19deg.

We had travelled for several hours so I took a shower in the room. Lovely modern rain shower however it was so powerful that it seeped out of the shower and literally covered the entire bathroom floor - not great. I was also surprised not to find any slippers/gowns for a 5* hotel.

We were meeting friends for the weekend so went out for the evening and came back late. Room very warm when we returned so not a great nights sleep. Sunday morning we had breakfast and had to wait just over 15mins in a queue for a table. The room could probably sit approx 180-200 people, it was probably 2/3rds full with with dozens of tables full of un-cleared plates/glasses etc. It was a shambles. I stay at hotels most weeks with work and I have stayed in Premier Inn's that have a better standard than what we were presented with. The breakfast is nice when we did get to sit down, although the orange juice (a good test of a hotel breakfast!) was very watered down and we could not drink this. Plenty of pastries, meats, cheese, cereals and cooked breakfast to choose from. One other point to note is there was a constant queue for glasses as there were not enough for the juices.

On our second day we did try the pool and facilities which were very pleasant and to a good standard.

All things considered we were disappointed with our stay. For the price we paid and the supposed five star rating, we expected better service to what we experienced.

*For info for those wanting to know what is nearby. Next to the hotel is a Wetherspoons restaurant serving excellent value meals round the clock, and there is also a Tesco Express grocery store round the corner from the Wetherspoons. Tower Hill tube station is 5mins walk.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank LetYourselfGo_09
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

With a perfect view of an iconic London attraction, don't go past this hotel.

I was pleasantly surprised how well this hotel rated.

It is a short stroll from great restaurants and very close to the tube.

There were 2 minor issue I had -
1) Breakfast was a little expensive but delicious.
2) There is no onsite parking. The hotel did refer me to a parking facility a short walk away

• Stayed August 2013
Huddersfield, UK
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We booked two rooms for two nights to celebrate my daughter's birthday. We asked for high rooms and were given adjacent rooms on the 11th floor - plus cake in my daughter's room ! Everything about this hotel is of very high quality, including the staff. The swimming pool was great , especially after sight seeing.
I know London reasonably well and the location worked well for us, we arrived on Sunday and walked to Old Spitalfields Market (brilliant, don't bother with Petticoat Lane), had a late lunch, back to the hotel for a swim then to St Katherine's Dock for drinks, then dinner at a restaurant over Tower Bridge. The following day we got the 11 bus from Liverpool Street to see the changing of the guard, the bus gave excellent views. Then Tragalgar Square, the National Portrait Gallery, M and M's, Hamley's, back to the hotel for another swim, then Wicked. All of which were very easy with a Travelcard.

Room Tip: High floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I booked this as a 'secret hotel' with lastminute.com at a very reasonable price. Unfortunately, I misunderstood the location as that of the Grange City Tower Bridge, where I had been previously - please don't make the same mistake!! After redirection to Prescot Street, we found the right hotel and though a little further away from the Tower, the hotel itself was very good quality, spacious and clean rooms, fantastically comfortable beds, decent restaurant, and very friendly and helpful staff. At just over £100 for a twin room I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Newtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 12, 2013

the hotel is wonderful, especially the shower and the staff. The hotel staff couldn't be friendly everyone from the reception to the concierge were extremely helpful. Breakfast was great, the rooms are spacious and clean. highly recommend. The hotel is not far from the `Tower of `london. We enjoy walking so for us it was a fine location. If your not big walkers it's easy to get here by the tube.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family