No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Astra Palace
Ranked #445 of 572 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Do not visit this hotel pay 20 more so where else staff rube run like constant ration camp women is polish does not know what English want only knows how to nag and take your money damp rooms asking me for200letters for review don't stay

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank 31hollydaisy

Reviewed July 28, 2012

hi i am a contractor and have worked all over the country and this is by far one of the shitist hotels ive had the displeasure of staying in,

the rooms down in the basement are 4 foot under ground and they are damp!!!!!!
the beds are damp when you get in them and your clothes are damp in the morning
you only get a clean towel when she feels fit to give you one the whole hotel is overpowered by a pungent airfreshner to mask the smell of the damp!!!!

IF you wher to have chest or breathing problems im no doctor but this is NOT the place for you mind this aint the place for anyone

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank Sean B
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I working not far from the hotel so its very handy.

So some facts about the place !!!

The owners/managers where (to me and the other lads who stopped there) very nice. So I don't know what the other reviews are talking about

The rooms I've stopped in (I've stopped here a few times) have been clean and tidy and not uncommon with a lot of hotels. But make no mistake they are not perfect.

There is a kitchen on the first floor for guests to use and there's a fridge/microwave/kettle/toaster there so perfect for making sandwiches for the day.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

Please don't stay here the staff are rude and totally unreasonable... We booked a room Wednesday for saturday and then got a garbled message sat asking us to confirm the room I rang and asked her to charge the card as we are defiantly coming (we had left) she wanted an email confirming that and instructing her to charge the card.. She said we had to be there by 6, I explained that was our aim but traffic was bad.. She practically bite my head off saying I said 6 so it 6 or no room. I had to get my partner to call back as she was that aggressive I wanted to tell her to stick her room.. She was rude to him and when I called again to say we were stuck in traffic she screamed down the phone telling me she wasn't a hotel ??? Although its called crystal palace hotel ? And asked me "what you gonna do what you gonna do about it" referring to her renting the room out to someone else .. We were 25 minutes late and true to her word she would not give us the room. Rude aggressive and unreasonable please do not give her your business !

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank Mustang2009
Reviewed February 26, 2012

The woman who works there is the rudest woman I have ever met. She also told me that my £55 room was now £65 for no apparent reason. See previous reviews, they seem to increase the price at the last minute quite a lot. everything about the place is unwelcoming. They don't trust guests either and insist on a £20 cash deposit for the key! Don't stay here and don't trust them. Dirty, dated and uncomfortable.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Richard G
Reviewed December 23, 2011

I made the reservation for two weeks at the Astra Palace hotel, but actually stayed at their other hotel The Crystal Tower Hotel on Church Street Upper Norwood, which is just less than a mile away from the Astra.
The single on suite room was small but adequate.
The room was very clean as was the shower room with plenty of hot water.
The bed was comfortable & there was a very useful extending table which came in handy while I was using my laptop.
The room was serviced every day, not every two days like some other hotels I have stayed in.
The room I was in was adjacent to the reception desk & was fairly quite with the only noise coming from guests taking when they arrived, but it was not too loud.
The hotel does not have breakfast facilities, but there are plenty of places to eat in the town centre which is a two minute walk.
The receptionist was very pleasant & made you feel welcome, & you are showed the room before you pay for your stay.
For anyone coming to the Olympics next year & who are looking for a good budget hotel, then this could suit you, so book now before it gets fully booked.
Overall I was very pleasantly surprised at how good this hotel was, & would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Yakamatutsi
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Stayed here with the lads when we were working in nearby Sydenham. Free car parking outside the hotel, spacious rooms with en-suite. All were very clean, well looked after, and comfortable. There is a kitchen for guests to use on the second floor with tea/coffee making facilities. The hotel is on a fairly busy road, but I sleep like the dead so there was no noise problem for me. Light sleepers may disagree ! The nearest pubs or restaurants are a ten minute walk away in Crystal Palace. The owners were pleasant and always available if we needed them.
As a working base in SE London then this is ideal. It is inexpensive for the area and provided me and the lads with a comfortable six week stay.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the road are quieter