“Service needs improving”
Review of The Fox and Grapes

The Fox and Grapes
Reserve with OpenTable
The Fox and Grapes is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5,391 of 22,822 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French, British, Bar, Gastropub
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: The newly refurbished Fox and Grapes has the intimacy and feel of a local country village pub. Situated in the heart of the Common, it has the advantage of being on the doorstep of London, yet the tranquility of Wimbledon Village. Open from 8am daily for Breakfast, serving lunch and dinner, the Fox and Grapes stocks a wide selection of Craft Beers, Ales & Largers. They can also boast an impressive wine selection, solely being supplied by Berry Brothers & Rudd. The Fox & Grapes is also host to three en-suite Double Bedrooms. With the perfect location, and steeped in character, you can enjoy everything this pub has to offer.
“Service needs improving”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Went for Sunday lunch last weekend. We were all looking forward to the experience and anticipating a great meal. The restaurant was full and I imagine that is the case most Sunday lunch times but they don't seem to have worked out how to cope with a full restaurant.
It didn't take long for our enthusiasm to wane. Our waitress was very surly, slow and clearly uninterested in providing any kind of client service. We were starving by the time our dishes started to arrive but unfortunately they couldn't bring them together. That was frustrating. Our mains were good but the chocolate waffle dessert didn't really work.
From the reviews it seems like some people have a good experience and some don't. Surely, one of the goals for a successful business is consistency, not just with the food but also with the service. The service needs some attention. I hope they can improve it.

• Korean first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great pub”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Been to the fox and grapes for the first time after 2 years its as been open, what a surprise, pub look beautiful staff very friendly
And the food was a very pleasant for what you can find in that area.
The pub was really busy when we got there and yet the staff was looking after us soon as we pass the door, they manage to find us a table but we had to wait about 30 minutes for a table to come free, but we had a drink at the bar and they even send us some olives and pork scratching the time we where waiting.
I will definitely go back to the fox and grapes when next back in Wimbledon.

simonhutch
“Great place for a Sunday roast (and you don't need to wear Barbour)”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Popped in here last Sunday for lunch. Hadn't been for a few years and first impressions were good. Bosi has smartened up the interior and the staff were ready to help as soon as we walked in even though the place was full (the usual Wimbledon set of Barbour and Hunter despite them living IN ZONE 3, obviously). The high level of service continued throughout the meal, there was one waitress who was particularly brilliant. I didn't get her name but if I opened a restaurant I'd want her to work with me!

We were impressed by the menu, a good mix of invention and staples. The wine list also had some great choices. The food was all fantastic, really good starters and roasts. I saw some other reviews have complained about meat being cold but for beef that’s exactly how it should be. Deserts not quite so good particularly as there was a half hour gap caused by one of the desserts being dropped in the kitchen - at least they made it from scratch again.

Overall, this place is not cheap but we enjoyed our afternoon and the team did everything they could to make it a good few hours before we headed home to without the need to adopt county attire.

London, United Kingdom
“3rd time not the charm...neither were 1st and 2nd”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I don't know why I persist on going to this place. I haven't had much success with what I've ordered before, but keep returning. With it being the winter season (I went in the spring and summer on the last 2 occasions), I thought I'd give it another chance, seeing as they update their menu based on seasons...winter may be a good season for them...

Ordered the game terrine with pear chutney and toasted brioche. The terrine was bland. Also, the ratio between the terrine and the condiments is not proportionate: not enough brioche and chutney for the amount of terrine you receive. Had a scotch egg too. They use wild boar for this. A bit too dry, but the egg was runny.

For my mains, I ordered the monkfish with a pumpkin risotto. Again, it was slightly under-seasoned. Also, the monkfish was overcooked.

I think I'll give Fox and Grapes a miss from now on. One of the reasons I've been there as many times as I have is due to the fact that there aren't a lot of good eateries in the general Wimbledon area. Maybe it's time to stop eating in Wimbledon...

1 Thank TopSpinKing
Clapham, United Kingdom
“Where do you go for a date?”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I needed a venue for a first date in Wimbledon so I asked my friends in the know. "What about Claude Bosi's place on the common," they said. "Perfect," I replied, "I'd completely forgotten about that."

So, gastro pub, not too posh, not too noisy. Could be good.

I booked. My date might have seen this as a pushy bird's move, but what the heck, he'd better find out early what I'm like. Wednesday lunch after new year. Probably no need to book but I wanted to be sure of a good run at things. Didn't want to risk traipsing the street on a first date.

I arrived early. Never done that before. Had a chance to look at today's menu. Not so different from the website but mercifully no cauliflower in sight (my date had already told me that he liked Mozart (tick) and good food (tick) but disliked cauliflower and rude people - I can go with that).

He arrived on time. Ticked all the visual boxes too. We ordered water - sparkling - January detox, at least for me.

After a nervous ice breaker chat the helpful waitress came back for the second time and we ordered.

I went for game terrine with pear chutney and brioche followed by pumpkin risotto with chestnuts. He went for crab omelette (I was tempted by this) and fish pie (a bit fishy? - should I read something into this?). The attentive waitress pointed out that the omelette was soft in the middle (damn, knew I should have had this) - good advice but no problem for the man who likes good food.

Chat getting slightly less stilted - we'd moved onto teenage boys (good - a real live area of common interest or necessity). First course arrived, nice and quick. Except my terrine came with pistachios (not a problem for me, but she didn't mention that!) and sad to say it was a rather bland affair - simple seasoning would have done the trick I feel. I didn't find out about the omelette - it had disappeared soon enough though.

Discussion moved onto sport - not a problem, I love it. Good he's a rugby fan and likes a little cricket too. We might be warming up here. The main courses arrived, again nice and promptly. Nice presentation - a good deep bowl with a show-offey restaurant sort of rim to my plate of richly orange risotto. His fish pie in a sweet little casserole dish, piping hot. My risotto was delicious, but extremely rich with probably just a tad too many chestnuts added. His fish pie disappeared very quickly. A good eater. A good sign.

Chatting moved onto previous dating horrors - him, not me, as this is my first ever (well at least the Internet type) ...well you have to start somewhere. Now we're really laughing..... Is it going well??? Oops, that's not us, it was the waitress asking if we wanted dessert. Sadly no thanks. Maybe the excesses of Christmas catching up on us??

So the meal was at an end. But what about the date. I suggested we get the bill. He said he would ask for it whilst I slipped to the loo. Came back. Chatting continued. I reminded him that we were going to get the bill. He said, "Don't worry it's all done!" What a gentleman!

How was that for a first date? Well, the venue was a good choice, despite a slight disappointment with the food. Any future???? That would be telling.