National Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
La Gaffe(London)
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsdouble ensuitefree continental breakfasttea making facilitiesshower gelmin walkfamily roomfantastic location
Reviewed October 17, 2012

just back from visiting daughter in london. she has moved flats and no longer has the room to let us stay with her. chose this as was near her but sorry we did. room was clean enough but did not have the tea/coffee facilities as stated or the hairdryer. the breakfast was hit or miss and the staff in the dining room were few and far bewtween and really under pressure and little english which did not help. i felt like i was in Fawlty Towers for the 3 days of our stay. would not recommend

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 23, 2012

After a pretty terrible journey from home to london we got to the hotel to find that our room had not been recorded down, even though a family member had been in less than an hour before to sort out getting us an ensuite room. We got there at about 10:30pm, and the man behind the desk was really unhelpful to the point where we really thought about moving.

After the family member went back and sorted it all out we then found our room (at the end of a long, not really clean corridor) and found it was really, really cold. The heating didn't work and the atmosphere was one out of a horror film really. My first reaction was to turn tail and run, but it was by this time 11:45pm and so we stayed.

The bathroom did smell really clean and it was spotless. But, it did take about 5-10 minutes for any hot water to find its way into our taps. I had a quick wash (while shivering) and then dived into bed.

The bed was one of those beds where the mattress is very thing and effectively we were sleeping on the hard divan bit of it. The bedclothes were clean and the duvet was pretty substantial. One of the good things of the room was the pillow - it was really comfy. However, the curtains didn't really keep any of the light out as they were half falling off.

I woke up pretty early and tried to have a shower (waited another 5min for the hot water to come through) only to find there was no hair drier. This wasn't a problem for me (as I have short hair) but could be an issue for others.

We didn't even try the breakfast as all we wanted to do was get out of the hotel as soon as possible.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kate W
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Booked online for one night but when I arrived my room was taken as they had no record of the email. I was given an 'apartment' instead at the top of the hotel. The room was dingy & had an unclean feel to it. I had a common bathroom which had just been used as there was water on the floor. Also hairs in the wash hand basin. There were some hairs on the bed sheet too. The pillows fortunately were clean but even the reduced price of the room & the complimentary breakfast (I declined it) would not entice me to use the 'hotel' again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank RichardRodgers211873
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I stayed here during the Jubilee Weekend and this place is excellent value for money. We had a triple room with on-suite. The room was spacious and clean. It is obvious the hotel has just been freshly decorated. Breakfast was included. We were expecting a continental but they offered a full english which was delicious. The girls in the dining room were very accomodating even though they didnt speak much english. The surrounding area is lovely and there is an excellent bus service. just 10min to finsbury park station. Shops are less than 5 min walk also the bus. It is not 3/4 star but if you need a place to sleep and shower it is perfect. I will def be staying here again. NOt for honeymooners...

Room Tip: There is a car park with loads of spaces. Most of the other hotels in this area don't have one and you have to try to find street parking.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 3, 2012

After reading some of the reviews the day before heading to London I was a little worried....however I needn't have been! The hotel was great value for money, I don't know what some people expect for £60. It has all the basic things you need for a cheap hotel, we had a really big room which was clean and just what we needed. The staff were all really friendly, happy and helpful, and there was always somebody on reception if you needed help. Great location with good transport links into central London, it was about £20 in a taxi from St Pancras but the bus stop is just at the end of the road and is just a short journey from the tube station. I would definitely stay here again if I was coming to London.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends