“Excellent Stay! Great little family owned hotel in heart of East London.”
Review of Avo Hotel

Avo Hotel
Ranked #128 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 17, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at this little hotel. We had the compact double and it was, indeed, very small, but perfect for our needs. The staff , particularly the female owner, was very helpful and pleasant. The room was very clean and comfortable. All in all, a great hotel. And close to family in Havkney and Clapton. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank BeenThereX
sunsk8, Manager at Avo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2012

Hello,
Thanks so much! We really appreciate when people stay with us and then make time to write a review. It was a pleasure hosting you - we certainly do get a lot of people staying with us to visit family. It's a nice little niche :)
Hope to see you again,

There are newer reviews for Avo Hotel

Reviewed May 3, 2012

Unfortunately we only stayed at AVO hotel for one night but we have to say that it was a wonderful experience. The hotel is only a few minutes walk from Dalston Junction and is very easily accessible. Prior to arrival, the communication was very efficient and they were very helpful in answering any queries that we had. Upon arrival we were greeted very warmly which was lovely. The one thing that we found a bit different was that they asked for payment up-front but we are sure they would have had no issue if we had asked to pay at a later time. We were shown to our room, the room was very well decorated and very nice and clean. Despite what we had read in some reviews, the room was an normal size and pretty much what one would expect to be. The King Size bed was a major part of the room but it was in no sense uncomfortable, quiet the opposite (with a memory foam mattress) as it gave the room a very cozy look (which, in British weather, is what you'd want!) The room didn't have a wardrobe but had enough space to hang your clothes and keep luggage with hangers provided. We were provided with a kettle and a variety of tea, coffee and hot chocolate packs. The bathroom was amazing too, it was very modern and stylish and like you would see in the pictures but better! It had good quality toiletries provided and a well-sized shower. To add to the ease of our stay the hotel provided a wealth of information about the amenities nearby which was great as we were not from the area. Furthermore, the owners were very accommodating in that they served breakfast earlier than usual on our request, and were happy to assist in any way possible.

If we ever need to visit this area again this would definitely be our first choice hotel! Thank you for making an otherwise hectic and stressful trip, pleasurable.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Saad R
sunsk8, Manager at Avo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2012

Dear Saad,
Thanks so much for your kind review; we were so pleased to host you and we're glad that you enjoyed our modern bathrooms in particular. We hope that you have been able to relax now that your busy trip is over - and we hope to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed April 12, 2012

I have stayed in a lot of hotels in London over the last 9 years ,both top rated - Dorchester - and boutique - The Cranley, old and established - Durrants and new - The Soho. I can say that when I say that Avo ranks with these I tell no lie. The attention to detail in this family run hotel far exceeds some of its more famous cousins in and close to London. I thought I had experienced all the "home comforts " that these hotels had to offer, but no, Avo truly goes that extra goes that extra mile. For that reason alone I could thoroughly recommend it. But add its in house choclatier and his amazing chocs and it is a lovely hotel, in easy reach of the trendy City of London. Thanks for an enjoyable stay .Like Arnie I will return...... Cyndi - Canada

Room Tip: I suspect they are all of the quality mine was.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank cyndiM62
sunsk8, Manager at Avo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2012

Cyndi,
Thanks so much for your wonderful review! We're so glad you had fun chatting with us during the time you were here for your shoe-making course :)
Please do pull an 'Arnie' and return!

Reviewed March 20, 2012

We stayed for three nights at the AVO and can't recommend it highly enough.

The location is perfect for weekends away in East London, just a few hundred metres from the Overground. There's a lovely cafe on Dalston Lane about 2 minutes' walk away which serves a great english breakfast and towards the Kingsland Road you'll find the Farm Cafe with it's chickens on the roof and quiet garden at the rear. In the evening Cafe Oto offers contemporary jazz and experimental film/music, while the Kingsland Road has just about everything else.

The hotel itself was very clean and comfortable. We had memory foam mattresses and a great shower. In addition to all this there is an in-house DVD library to watch on the flat-screen TVs in the rooms.

The staff could not have been nicer. They were full of friendly advice and were easy to approach. Payment was not a problem at all. We were able to pay cash during the middle of our stay and appreciated the relaxed manner regarding this.

Thanks to the AVO and all the staff for a wonderful stay in London.

Pete & Sophie

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pete L
sunsk8, Manager at Avo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2012

Hi Pete and Sophie,
We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. It was lovely meeting you and practising a bit of my German! We were really pleased that you enjoyed our relaxed hospitality and had time to chat with us. See you soon,

Reviewed March 18, 2012

I am a Hackney resident and we booked  3 rooms for 3 nights in the Avo hotel for our family who were over for our wedding. The rooms were comfortable and clean. The breakfast very basic - coffee, creak and toast.  The experience was marred by the hotels rather churlish and non-transparent payment policy. First, they insisted that we make pre payment of most of the balance in cash, although this requirement was not stipulated on the website or in the terms and conditions of booking. Second they harassed me and my wife with phone calls in the middle of our wedding preparations asking for payment of the balance in cash. Third, and worst of all, they attempted to charge my inlaws, who speak little English, extra on the grounds that we had not paid the balance before checking-out. When I contested it, the manager was apologetic and immediately backed down - but this should never have happened. We were left with the sense that they were trying to exploit people and using the spurious excuse that this was only 'small family run hotel'. I hope they learn from this experience.

Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank Xiandc
sunsk8, Manager at Avo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2012

Dear Karolina,
Thanks for taking the time to write a review for us and I'm glad you found the hotel clean and comfortable.

I was surprised and saddened to read your comments regarding payment. I have in fact, email correspondence here from yourself, volunteering to pay cash in advance. Unfortunately after you suggested this, you never came by on the agreed date, and so we had to ask your guests to pay for their own rooms. I called to apologise for asking your in-laws, after I realised there was a language problem, and explained that you were welcome to pay for them when you had a moment.

In fact, final payment for the stay was not made until well after the wedding weekend, which caused a cash-flow problem for us. As I mentioned to you, we're a family-run hotel with only 6 rooms and so with our paper-thin margins, we need to make sure the room are paid for before guests go back home. I only clarified this so that you wouldn't feel we were a corporate 'machine' trying to take your money. The careful and personal service we offer reflects this. For example, I recall there were very many changes and additions that you needed for your family prior to the visit, and we accommodated all of those, despite the time and difficulty required to manage these and the expenses incurred to us.

I hope one day you will come and stay with us yourself to actually experience our hospitality first-hand. I know weddings are stressful (mine was too!) and so I understand you might have forgotten what you yourself suggested, during our exchange of emails.

Reviewed March 12, 2012

One-night stop on a flying trip from Manchester to go to a gig in Dalston. Can only really concur with what most other positive reviews have said. For the price, the quality of the rooms is very high and the family who own are it are all really conscientious and friendly (though not remotely in an obsequious or 'in-your-face' way - they just know how to treat customers).

Never worked out what the digital read-out on the bathroom mirror was for, but hopefully I didn't need to ! Am rarely one to praise or criticise the standard of coffee (I have a life !) but that served at breakfast was the best I've tasted for ages.

Cannot think of anything to criticise from my trip though I agree the limited storage space might be an issue if you were stoppong for any length of time. Would certainly stay here again if I was wanting to be on the east side of the city.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank AndySDerbyshire
sunsk8, Public Relations Manager at Avo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2012

Hi Andy,
Thanks so much for the lovely review; and we've passed on your compliments to our local Hackney-based coffee suppliers too :)
Hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed February 17, 2012

We've been visiting family in Hackney for years and this boutique hotel has made our visits so much easier. Very handy for the bus, 30 minutes to the centre of London and the tube is not far away either. My only complaint, no I can't complain at this very friendly hotel, is that the bedroom was a little bit on the small size but then I am above average in height. Very little storage space and our two suitcases - we were there for two nights but away from home for two weeks - were always in the way! We shall, however, be using this hotel again during our next visits to Hackney.

Room Tip: Let them know if you are travelling with large baggage.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank EdStroller

Hi Ed,
Thanks for taking the time to write a review; it's always nice to hear from guests!
See you soon,