“Luxurious and reasonably priced... with a welcoming atmosphere”
Review of Avo Hotel

and 1 more site!
Avo Hotel
Ranked #123 of 554 London B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Luxurious and reasonably priced... with a welcoming atmosphere”
Reviewed May 23, 2011

I found the Avo Hotel when looking for a reasonably priced place to stay in London for an extended business trip, and I recommend it highly.

The hotel is meticulously neat and inviting, as well as close to transportation. The rooms are also sizable for London.

The family who runs the hotel takes great pride in their establishment and have spent considerable care and thoughtfulness in its furnishing and details. They went through great lengths to make my stay pleasant, helping me in whatever way they could, and making my stay as comfortable as possible, from providing extra hangers to even helping me troubleshoot a computer problem and providing me with a hot water bottle for my wrenched back. Guests are treated like visiting dignitaries. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Top-floor rooms require a long stair climb
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank mrsomacgregor
Dear Olya,
It was great having you here for 17 days and we loved getting to know you. We're still keeping in mind the offer to come visit in NYC ;)
Hope to see you soon,
Sunny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Reviewed May 12, 2011

Only booked as the usual place I stay was full, so glad it was now as I discovered this gem of a hotel.
Great location for central London and on a bus route to Canary Wharf.
Family run and very friendly.
Rooms well appointed and the bed was one of the best I've slept in.
Will try to stay here when in London in future although I can see the hotel being very popular.

• Stayed May 2011
3 Thank Fraser21
Dear Fraser,
Thanks for your kind review. We are certainly getting busier these days, as the word on our wonderful beds, spreads!
Hope to have you visit again,
London
Reviewed March 23, 2011

My partner and I stayed in Avo Hotel a few weeks ago for a long weekend. We got a 'Double' room as opposed to a King or the top floor suite, as it was the least expensive.

The room was small but considering it's 10 mins from Central London and the price is low, this is not an issue! The rooms were spotless too, and so so quiet meaning we got great night's sleep, especially with the comfortable beds!

The location is really good, trendy Dalston, only 5 odd mins walk from East London line, and the guy on reception - charmer! - called us a cab to the Saturday Broadway Market which was pretty buzzing and cool. He also organised a bouquet of flowers for my partner for our arrival :-)

Due to our late nights, we only had breakfast on one day, but it was all organic food, and tasted great.

Will definitely be staying here when we come down to London again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank unseasonedtraveller9
Hello,
We're chuffed that you thought our man on reception was a charmer! That's probably my brother -he certainly has a twinkly smile.
Hope to have you visit again!
Thanks,
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2011

What a gorgeous gem in East London! I think myself and my husband were among the first to stay here (we were visiting friends in london) as it's just opened recently and the kitchen was still being worked on during our short stay.

We actually drove to the hotel and were able to park down the road (as it was a sat night when we arrived - not sure about parking at other times), but the tube is a 2 min walk so it's easy to get around. The staff told us at breakfast about all sorts things to do in the area but we mainly used it as a base to go to the centre, which is so close!

The breakfast was lush, really fresh pastries, organic bread/cereal/fruit, yoghurts, juice, teas and spreads, etc, everything was really good quality and the service was great - they were attentive and offered to cook us eggs too but we were content with the continental. They asked us what time we would like to have breakfast the night before (so we had it at 10 - in most hotels I rush down at the last minute and grab the last dry croissant..)They don't have an actual restaurant (more b&b), but there are so many yummy and unsual places to eat out for lunch/dinner it doesn't matter.

What stood out for me were the friendly staff (it's family-run), the ethical side (organic produce, use of hotels bottles/filtered water) and the attention to detail (they will give you a phone to use during your stay for example).

Our room was small (hence the 4) but absolutely spotlessly clean.

The rain-style showers were nice and the rooms are really stylish. I loved the huge flatscreens (they have a DVD service with a huge selection, ive stayed in 5*s which have had no-where near the selection!) and freeview, plus an i-pod docking station and wifi which I though was great.

All in all, I think it's very good value, trendy, but also a lot more personal than most hotels - especially the helpfulness of the staff.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank awoolfa
Dear Annabel,
Thanks so much for your review, we're glad you and your husband enjoyed your visit. We're really glad you noticed the ethical effort and friendly service in particular.
Hope to see you again,