“Clean, comfortable and good value” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Travelodge London Whetstone

Travelodge London Whetstone
Ranked #453 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Steyning, United Kingdom
“Clean, comfortable and good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

This was my first visit to a Travelodge and although the hotel doesn't look much from the outside, I was very pleasantly surprised by the standard of accommodation. We stayed because the hotel is very close to our family and it provides a great value alternative to more pricey hotels closer to the centre of London. This is budget accommodation so the bed room and bathroom were functional with no frills but they were very clean and freshly decorated. The bed was extremely comfortable but there was just the one chair in the room so you wouldn't want to spend too much time there unless you were a single business traveller, using the WiFi and the desk to work. The location is great for getting onto motorway networks and also close to the Totteridge and Whetstone tube which will take you straight into the heart of London on the northern line. Whetstone High Street has an excellent range of cafes, bars and restaurants plus the Griffin pub so you have the choice of eating/ drinking in or out of the hotel. We thought that the breakfast was very average so would choose to go to a cafe next time. Parking spaces for the hotel runs out quickly in the evening but you can park in the adjacent Halford's spaces as long as you move your car by about 8 am in the morning. By that time some of the business guests are likely to have left so you may get a hotel space. We will visit again, not just for family reasons but to use the hotel as a base when visiting the sights of the city centre.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

2 Thank susan b

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

Smart new rooms, convenient for Northern line. Good value breakfast. Bar and evening food, decent restaurants nearby. Limited parking spaces but extra available from 20.00 to 08.00 courtesy of Halfords store next door!

Room Tip: Rooms at back of hotel are quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

Just arrived back from a 2 night stay here. Accommodation was clean and very comfortable. We travelled by tube into London on both days, Wembley Stadium for a concert and into Central London to sight see. Breakfast was ok.. Would stay there again.

Stayed June 2014
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

Just stayed in this hotel today for a whopping £79 per day and I feel completely ripped off. First, let's start with the easy bits, the hotel itself. Clean, nice décor, nice layout, fairly comfy bed, shower pressure was just enough, nice TV with a good selection of freeview channels, well 9 or so and nice bit of security in that you need your card to open the corridor door. As a budget hotel all of the above was done well. Not worth £79 though as there was NO telephone in the room (what would happen in a health emergency?), only 1 small bottle of soap, 1 large towel (this was a double room) and no way to turn off all the lights without removing the card.

Now, the really bad part, THE STAFF, all one of them. A single member of staff who was sssooooooo rude. Rude when we booked the room, rude when we turned up, rude when I called the reception using my mobile to ask if there was a telephone in the room, just plain rude. Couldn't care less about her job. She was both the receptionist and the cook who took my order for food, another rather unpleasant experience. No room service, well, how do you order with no telephone? Though I was allowed to carry my food on a tray with sauces, cutlery, napkins, drinks and room card back to my room by myself, joy.

If you don't like the job, LEAVE and stop providing such bad service in an industry that is dependant on it. Staff can make or break a business and she is certainly doing a good job of the later. Travelodge maybe but Whetstone branch....never again!

Room Tip: Situated on a busy road so aim to get a room on either side or back of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank David I
TravelodgeUK, Dianne from Customer Services at Travelodge London Whetstone, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
We're concerned to learn of your comments David, and our Hotel Manager would really like to investigate the issues you have raised. Our staff understand the importance of providing a warm and friendly service at all times. Please use the Contact Us section on our website to provide us with your booking details and please also specify that you have left a TripAdvisor review.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

Very clean and comfortable beds. Had a great night sleep. I always stay in this hotel as it is conveniently located for my needs. Parking is a hit and miss, but I always get a space eventually. About 20 spaces in all available. All free! Breakfast is OK, has all you need.
Only downside is the smokers who smoke at the entrance. They should be banned.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Oh boy, where do I start?!!! I had the displeasure of staying at this hotel in early May and it was poor from start to end. I was greeted by a staff member who clearly did not want to be there. He was scruffy, mumbled his words and even failed to make eye contact with me. I wasn't expecting much from an employee of a budget hotel chain, but a mere smile would have gone a long way.

So after my encounter with the uncheerful receptionist, I made my way towards my room. I noticed that the corridors were rather shabby and needed hoovering. I also rubbed shoulders with another staff member who also failed to acknowledge me - great!!!!

Upon entering my room, I noticed a strange odour. I can only describe it as an odour you would get from a sock which had been worn for over a week whilst hiking Ben Nevis on a hot summer's day - not nice!!! Furthermore, I found this room to be quite unclean. The bed linen was stained, there were skid marks on the toilet, the carpet needed hoovering. Had I been staying for more than one night, then I would have demanded that I have a different room, but on this occasion I decided against it as I would have had to face the unwelcoming and disinterested staff.

What really got my goat is that whilst checking out, I was asked about my stay. I was brutally honest. The nice receptionist was quite sympathetic and told me that she would inform her manager. She stated that I would be contacted by her manager later that day. Well guess what? It's been over two weeks and still no contact by the manager despite a phone call by myself last week. Clearly, the establishment is headed by a manager who can't be bothered to contact its customers and this poor behaviour is reflected in its staff.

Well done Travelodge!!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank John K
TravelodgeUK, Amy from Customer Services at Travelodge London Whetstone, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
We are sorry to learn of your poor experience you had John K. Our staff are expected to provide a great service to all of our guests so it is regrettable to learn you found they were unapproachable. We also expect our housekeeping team to follow a specific cleaning routine when preparing a room so we are sorry that your room was not clean and fresh up to great standards we would expect in all Travelodge hotels. We are also concerned to learn that the hotel manager has not contacted you further so in order to offer a resolution please could you visit our website and select the Contact Us button to provide us with more details and when doing so please specify you have left a TripAdvisor review.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

This hotel offers great value for money, easy to get to, parking is a bit of a struggle if you are late in.

Rooms are basic, clean and quiet.

Use it a good London jumping off point as the Tube is close by, Buses are regular and access to the Motorways gives me the links I need.

Mobile data network coverage is good as well so can work in comfort and quiet of room rather than sitting in the bar or reception as I have to in other locations

Room Tip: The rooms are basic but good for the business traveller
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Markpt2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Travelodge London Finchley Hotel
Premier Inn London Elstree / Borehamwood Hotel
Holiday Inn London - Elstree
Holiday Inn London - Elstree
#608 of 1,089 in London

Been to Travelodge London Whetstone? Share your experiences!