“Worth every penny. What a taste sensation”
Review of Watatsumi - CLOSED

Watatsumi
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Westminster
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We had the £75 omakase 7 couse meal with wagya beef. This included black cod (exquisite), wagya beef (melt in the mouth), 3 kinds of sake and yellow tail (I cant remember what it was called but it was with the sushi course and fried with an orange coloured sauce. This was astounding). In fact this meal was nothing short of fantastic. Very often I go out for a meal and I'm disappointed and feel it's, to much money and I could do it better. Not this time. I came away very impressed and would recommend this to anyone. If you wish to impress or just love japanese food this is the place to go. The service was impeccable. We spent 2 and 1/2 hours eating but it went so quick. Shame not more people use it. Very quiet for a Saturday night. A must try resturant. This is what I would expect from a Michelin Star

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Calm atmosphere, great food experience. Not so expensive either. Perfect when staying at Club Quarters in the same building.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Our whole family loved it! Incl our 3 children ( 11, 9 and 8 y). We cant understand why its not fully booked. Very friendly service and the food was so delicious. We will be back!! The vulcano is our favourite!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We're no strangers to sushi, good and bad, and it's great to find somewhere new that exceeds expectations; especially somewhere that we must have walked past a hundred times.

We were going to a concert at St Martin in the Fields and were looking for a pre-concert dinner. Trip Advisor pointed us towards this and we meandered over, never sure what to expect.

First impressions were of a smiling Eastern European girl and a waiter I would guess was Indian. Both were really friendly and helpful. It was 6pm and the restaurant was empty. Our coats were taken and we were given both food and wine menus immediately. Like most good restaurants, they watched our body language and appeared at the perfect point to take our order.

We ordered more than we intended, but moderation has never been one of our stromg points:

- Fish karaage
small pieces of fish fried in a seasoned flour. Delicious but served in a paper cone. You should tip out of teh cone before the bottom pieces go soggy

- Prawn Tempura
Probably the best tempura we have ever had. The batter was excellent, soft like it should be and not like your local chippy

- Chicken Kushiyaki
Similar to yakitori and very tasty sweet sauce

- 5 types of sashimi
13 very good pieces

- Rainbow Maki
This was perfect!! I think it was a maki roll of about 8 pieces made around a king crab leg. Wrapped around the rice at different intervales was salmon, avocado, tuna, sea bass & eel. Dressed with a little caviar on each piece, this was the high point.

The winelist is a tad expensive for the wines that are on it (just over 200% mark-up I'm guessing), but not stupidly so and the Argentinian viognier we had was a good choice.

On the back of previous recommendations, we had to try the cheesecake - and we can report that it's as good as they say.

A 12.5% optional service charge is automatically added (I don't mind this too much as it's clearly stated on the menu and there's no nonsense about leaving the gratuity option open on the credit card machine for double-tipping)

Including service, our bill was £91 and there's nothing that we had, that I wouldn't order again. I think we will be regular visitors here.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

London is increasingly saturated in Japanese restaurants (which is a good thing). Watatsumi ranks among fine dinning with first class sushi prepared and served to the highest standards. Even the chocolate fondue was perfect. To top it off the atmosphere is great and the staff faultless.