“Great drinks, shame about the rest”
Review of Kopapa Restaurant - CLOSED

Kopapa Restaurant
Cuisines: Fusion
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Transit: Tube - Covent Garden, Leicester Square, Tottenham Court Road
Description: Kopapa is a café/restaurant featuring the innovative cuisine of Peter Gordon, the 'godfather' of fusion food. We're open for breakfast, lunch & dinner 7 days a week Peter Gordon is renowned for his unique culinary philosophy, influenced by his extensive travels around the world, and both Kopapa's menu and design reflect this. Brunch dishes include Peter's iconic Turkish eggs from Changa restaurant in Istanbul - two poached eggs with whipped yoghurt and hot chilli butter - and the dinner menu features dishes such as tempura spicy dhal inari pocket, caramelised coconut, pickled green papaya, and Roast lamb rump, grilled aubergine, freekeh tabouleh, pomegranate, crispy chickpeas, tahini yoghurt dressing, Zatar. Alongside this, we offer barista-made coffees and juices, and a concise, outstanding wine list from New Zealand and the old world.
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The West End of London is chock full of restaurants, many of which are frankly not very good, so when I heard about this place, I was delighted and hopeful that I could add it to my short list of safe pre-theatre restaurants. The write-ups are great and the location on Seven Dials puts it a heartbeat away from a large number of theatres but the food is a mess both visually and tastewise. Prices for the pre-theatre set meal are very reasonable but much of it was left on the plate. My mozarella and heritage tomato salad came as an unappetising pool of whey-drenched cheese with two pieces of mottled tomato that tasted of nothing; the cheese itself was very nice. My friend's salad was a jumble of strange ingredients, including pomegranate seeds and was inedible. Main courses were better with beautifully cooked cod only let down by undercooked white beans, and an inari dhal pocket that tasted good on its own but not with the other bits thrown on to the plate; best of all was a burger albeit with too many additions.

I suspect that to get the best out of this place you need to go as simple as possible and stick to the breads, dips and cold meats. The good side was the lovely cocktails both alcoholic and non-alcoholic and the constant supply of free water. Service was definitely not of the "nothing is too much trouble" school and we would have liked a bell to attract attention. The puddings were a huge disappointment too-- half of the delicious sounding plate of biscuits and chocolates were inedible as was the panna cotta with coffee and cardamom jelly. Perhaps we went on an off day but I won't risk a second visit until the deeply unpleasant taste of the puddings has faded from my memory.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were a group of 5 friends meeting for the first time in a long time. The food was very nice for most, but one of us found the selection underwhelming and the delivery just "OK".
Atmosphere and staff very positive, although part of an order missed.
Not cheap, but if there is something on their menu you DO fancy then it will likely deliver on taste.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

We had a wonderful meal but the place is small and the tables are close together. We were first put at a bad table very, very close to another party when many tables were available. After we complained, we were put in a window seat. The food was excellent. Try the pork belly main dish and the warm jersey royal and spinach tortilla appetizer. Service was fine.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

The first time you visit the theater district in London you can be overwhelmed by the sheer volume of dining spots, almost all featuring some kind of a theater special. We were going to a matinee for the musical, Matilda ( which was incredible -- the best I've experienced) and wanted a bite before the show. After an hour or so of wandering around looking a menus we came up and trendy bistro just steps from the theater.

There was a great vibe in the place, and although the seating was a bit tight (something most London restaurants suffer) we felt good about the place immediately. I had one of their signature burgers and my wife had a very nice salad. Both were superb. We also had a glass of nice white wine. Our service was great as well.

We noticed that the chef had cookbooks for sale, and we asked who the chef was. The server explained that the restaurant was owned by Kiwi chef Peter Gordon and he had three other spots in England and one in New Zealand and that he was in the kitchen today. It was then that I realized I had interviewed the chef for a column nearly a decade ago when he wrote his first cookbook for Ten Speed Press.

So, if you're looking for an all-star meal in the London theater district, I would suggest that you give Kopapa a try and if chef Gordon is cooking -- go down and say hi and tell them that Ron sent you.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

We came here just before seeing a show and opted for the pre-theatre option. At £18 for 2 courses, this was good value. As usual there were limited options but I was impressed with my pork belly and panna cotta. The service was swift and polite.

Perhaps it didn't blow my feet off but all in all, well executed food in a relaxed yet refined atmosphere. I look forward to trying brunch here.