“COOKING LESSONS REQUIRED”

Ranked #5,927 of 23,211 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Trafalgar Square / Embankment
Description: The charmingly eccentric India Club Restaurant has remained much the same since its opening in 1946. Hidden up a flight of stairs, India Club is one of London’s best kept secrets. Enter a timewarp, with portraits of the Independence era on the walls, bottle-green leather chairs, red lino flooring and wooden laminate tabletops. It is a British curry house of the first generation. Authentic ‘home cooked’ South Indian cuisine at extraordinary value makes India Club an unforgettable dining experience.
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Bought a voucher on Living Social for £16 for two beers, vegetarian curry, rice and nan for 2 and two main courses for under £7. Advertisement, photos and deal sounded great so I did not check it fully out beforehand-which I will now always do before buying from Living Social, Groupon, or the likes. When I looked up the reviews I had a sinking feeling.
Upon entry up a battered staircase with historical articles on walls we entered what reminded me of The Woodside Social Club in Glasgow-shabby flooring, walls requiring painting and very basic furniture-not the impression the advert gave. To add to this the weird bad oil smell. We were the first in at 6pm until the herds of Living Social Dealers.
As we are both vegetarian choice was more for meat dishes and they did not have our usual veggie dishes such as paneer saag or aloo gobi. The hubby doesn't drink beer, so we did not quite get our value for money.
We ordered masala dosa, bindi and dhal, vegetable curry All dishes were substandard and lacked flavour and spice apart from the small portion of bindi. The dhal was green and tasted like watery peas blended. The rice was plentiful and two small round hans basic. No poppadoms offered. Beer could have been cooler.
Staff were reasonable but were annoyed I couldn't print voucher out despite me having it on my phone and once resolved they became friendlier.
At the end they mentioned twice they expected a service charge which I cant recall being mentioned in Living Social and will take this up with them. If you have had the same experience I would ask for a refund from Living Social.
The only positive things about this restaurant are the price, location, space and calm from the bustle and of course its interesting history.

1  Thank Margarete M
There are newer reviews for The India Club Restaurant

Reviewed February 27, 2014

You'll love it or hate it. While I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, I realise why others did not savour their visit.
My food was fine and the menu is good value.
But it is the distinctive ambiance and unparalleled decor which make this place so different. I found it fascinating, but I totally understand why my enthusiasm is not shared by everyone !

1  Thank Ian_LDN
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Only visit this restaurant if you want to submerge yourself in to a place where Gandhi, Nehru or countless other Law/Medical undergraduates might have gathered for home cooking in the dys of austerity pre-second World War. No flock paprer; no artificiality at all . PLain dining room , with canteen style tables and chairs. the walls hung with sepia photos of the great and good Indians from the Indian sub-continent.

Superlative ,simple Indian food. Their Mosala Dosa ith samba and coconut chutney ,a great favourite of mine.

There is a great following of regulars ;sometimes there are more Indian voices than from the home country.

I try and come here four or five times a year. the same staff it seems to me for the last forty years.

Totally unpretenscious place.

Beer available. No wine

I often bring a book;or else just observe my fellow man.

3  Thank servabofidem35
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Upon arrival it felt like you was entering a museum or a 'gentleman a club'! The first thing I noticed on the board outside was a customer excellence certificate and that's when I smelt a rat! This is by far not an equal opportunities restaurant - there was no lift or ramp access. Unfortunately if you are in a wheelchair or have a child (pram) this restaurant is not accessible! After climbing the countless stairs the restaurant/cafe/dive had a very dimmed lighting which made me think a light bulb is missing as oppose to the creation of a relaxed ambience. We had a corner table that had no table cloth and was very worn/marked (perhaps was going for the antique effect).
When the drinks order was taken I was astonished to hear there was no mineral water or juices available - only coke! I ordered a chicken korma which was not seasoned. The white rice tasted like bullets as though I had been given the 'bottom of the pot'. The best thing about the restaurant was I was seated near a plug socket and took the liberty of charging my phone (discreetly) and the window view by the coat rack reminded me of New York City - which is where my friend and I wished we were!
I would recommend buying a indian takeaway (from somewhere else of course) and eating amongst the pigeons in Trafalgar Square.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Please do not waste your time and go to this dump. I agree 100% with 'Alex' who wrote a very true review about this dump. The room was grimy, the tables were filthy, the staff were not interested at all and one walked away when I was in mid sentence. I felt that everything I touched was dirty and kept using my 99.9% hand santiser. I usually enjoy Indian food but this dump has put me off for life. The food was disgusting to look at, let alone to eat. Myself and my friend tried it but just could not eat it. The so-called vegetable curry tasted like it had come from a tin - a very outdated tin at that. I will now ALWAYS check out a eaterie before I purchase a voucher - this one being from Living Social who I have already complained to about our experience and have asked for a refund, asking them to visit it for themselves. I felt totally embarrassed as I had asked my friend to come with me. She, like me, never enjoyed this experience whatsoever. Crap, crap and plenty more crap after that - Yuck!!! Needless to say, I haven't given this dump a single rating as everything about it was just too bad. Please note - the ONLY reason this dump has been given a rating is because the system would not let me submit this review if I didn't click on a box because I think it is worse than terrible!!!