“Excellent”

Halal Restaurant
Ranked #2,068 of 23,226 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Whitechapel
Description: Welcome to Beirut Nights! A new Restaurant and Shisha Lounge, open 7 days a week until late with very reasonable prices. Enjoy delicious lebanese food, fresh cocktails and fruit juices as well as a stunning dessert menu, including fresh crepes, waffles and milkshakes, followed by your very own Shisha (flavours include alfakher, starbuzz and fantasia) in a relaxed atmosphere.
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We had a meal here recently - very nice curry, good service and would highly recommend this restaurant

1  Thank Pink_LadyII
There are newer reviews for Halal Restaurant

Reviewed October 31, 2012

was staying in an apartment almost above Halal and felt i should maybe venture into Brick Lane for a take away but went for the easy option and was not sorry, the food was really fresh, authentic and excellent, delicious samosas, really fresh tasting saag paneer, tasty prawn curry and a heavenly kahari gosht in which the mutton was lean, tender and rich, with fresh naans i would thouroughly recommend this place and only wish i had it under me at home.

2  Thank john cam f
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I used this restaurant two or three times a month for a couple of years. Yellow formica tables, but the food was fantastic, the service prompt and cordial, and you could get a main meal for under 5/-. (25p in today's money.) Yes, it was in the mid-1960s and I haven't been in the area since. If they are still getting good reviews then they must be doing something right. (I've had to put November 2011 as the date visited because the picklist doesn't go back to 1966.)

2  Thank RetiredTraveller1
Reviewed October 6, 2012

So far we have been twice at Halal restaurant with our son who lives in London, and we'll surely return. The restaurant room is simple, no frills, but the service is very nice and quick. About the food... simply great! Many Indian people were sitting at the other tables (very good point !) My husband dared to eat a "Phaal" curry dish, which is the hottest one in Indian cooking, while I had a milder chicken kurma and they were delicious. Don't miss a dinner at the Halal restaurant when in London!

1  Thank trizzi55
Reviewed October 6, 2012

The Halal, reputed to be the oldest curry house known to London, was established in 1939. In former days, seamen, dockers and porters would dine off Formica tables and took curry with pitchers of water. These days you will brush with stockbrokers and city types dining off white table clothes taking their curry with a pint of lager and a free samosa. Otherwise little else has changed with the curry still being prepared and marinated in massive cauldrons below decks.

My ex-office chums and I use, and have used this family run Indian restaurant regularly since 1968. The food is consistent, of the highest quality and medicinally beneficial. Wonderful for your sinus! Personally I have yet to find another curry restaurant in London that surpasses the Halal for quality and taste. The food is truly amazing, the flavours sublime.

Passeres by will observe nothing pretentious about the establishment (see picture). The building location is now probably worth more than the actual business. When I last met with and asked the aged founder why he didn’t sell, he smiled and replied, “ I have to think of my customers”. So it may long remain, that with my friends I can continue to enjoy curry at the Halal for many years to come. I do not get to the Halal these days so often, when I do, its always handshakes all round to with a warm smile.

Footnote, The Halal is located on the corner of Mark Street and Alie Street opposite the White Swan pub, the latter being a good place to meet for pre-lunch or dinner drinks.