“A real Gem”

Neighborhood: Chelsea
London
“A real Gem”
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

I walked by this place at least 10 times noting that I needed to try it. For some odd reason it never came to fruition. I carried on walking and the restaurant remained. A few days ago I had a craving for fish and chips and my wife tried to steer me to the pub. But for some odd reason I had finally decided I needed a specialist!

A moment of genius. We started with delicately fried squid crisp to bite with a melting quality. Among the best we have had in London. I then had cod and chips and my wife had the burger. The cod was about as good as it gets. The batter was a golden brown crisp protective shell and then you bit into the soft fragrant delicate flakes of cod. I have not had better for a long time. The real shocker - the burger was amazing - crisp outer shell with a soft flavorful center. Right up there with the best in London. I have had the burger at the Admiral Codrington and this runs along side maybe even beating it.

Nathan who is running the front of house is friendly and knowledgeable. His wine selections are reasonable and well thought out and it is a pleasure to hear him explain how the chef prepares each dish. The burger rests for two days - no idea why but it tasted great. They select the fish themselves. It really is an attention to detail fish restaurant.

This is a simple restaurant where they clearly care about your experience. Worth taking the time to visit.

London, United Kingdom
“Passionate staff”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

After hearing it was under new management we decided to venture back into this restaurant as we only live a stones throw away and what great changes have happened from crisp table cloths to a lovely ambience and a great new menu to sink your teeth into we really hope this wonderful set restaurant continues to keep up the good work.Oliver the man in control of it has brought his young and passionate style to make you feel welcome.

• Visited October 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Quality fish restaurant”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We dropped in on the spur of the moment. This is a quietly situated speciality restaurant on Cale Street, just behind King's Road. If you don't know the area you would find it hard to come across it by accident however, it's well worth a detour if you want to eat some top quality fish in genteel surroundings. We had the beer battered cod and chips (for which they are deservedly known) and grilled plaice. We finished with a rather moor-ish chocolate brownie. The service was fine. It's not especially cheap but then you pay for what you get and we felt it well justified.

• Visited November 2013
Mitcham, surrey
“The best cod and chips I have ever tasted - and I am old!”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

My wife and I ate here on Sunday lunchtime and had a great table in the window overlooking Markham Street. It was amazing the number of people who passed by and gave us a smile! The restaurant is excellently presented with crisp white tablecloths over black and white ginham covers. Nathan, front of house, was knowledgeable and friendly and took us through what was on offer. The house salad starter was fresh and clean and was a perfect start although I am determined to have the soft shell crab on my next visit as it looked so incredibly appetising when served at another table. We both had the cod and chips main which was without doubt the best I have ever tasted, the fish was cooked to perfection and the batter was crisp, light and golden. Chips were crisp and fresh with a soft fluffy middle. Dessert of sticky toffee pudding was great with a light sponge and subtle caramel sauce with caramelised banana and vanilla ice cream. Service was relaxed and attentive without being overpowering and it was a real pleasure to spend time with Nathan who is interesting and interested! We cannot recommend highly enough and will certainly return.

• Visited November 2013
Hertfordshire
“Won't be going back”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Been here a couple of times but afraid won't be going back. On both occasions it was very quiet, the service was poor. My fish arrived and wasn't cook properly, it was taken away and returned by the waitress without any apologies.

• Visited August 2013