“Great experience”

Geales - Chelsea
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Reviewed April 23, 2013

The seafood platter was great, with big lobster. The service was good, the ambience also nice. Would recommend this.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

This was our fourth time here but, sadly, it will be our last. On each previous occasion we have been very impressed by the quality and size of the fish and chips. So, naturally, we booked a table and came here for a fourth time. Our first disappointment was that our favourite table was occupied - in fact, it was the only occupied table in the restaurant when we arrived. Can't fault the restaurant for that one, though! The next thing I noticed was that the already steep prices had risen further. They were still showing the old prices on the menu on their website so it was easy to compare the old and the new. Cod in batter, for example, at £12.95, is now 10.2% more than the website menu price and chips and vegetables have been increased by an inflation-busting 18.6% to £3.50 an item. So, with service charge of 12.5%, we are now looking at almost £22.50 for a portion of fish and chips. It had better be good for that price. Oh! And, they've also stopped serving Champagne by the glass. Not good.

Imagine our joint disappointment then, when the fish was brought to the table. Both portions were easily 33% smaller than they used to be. We both commented on this simultaneously. How can we be sure? Because last time I was so impressed by the size of the fish that I took a photo on my phone to show friends. I've still got it and could readily compare.

The total bill, including water and a modest wine was £93. So, was it worth it? In my humble opinion, sadly not. The fish was OK. I couldn't fault it, apart from the smaller portions. The chips were mediocre and so were the vegetables. So, that was £93 for two portions of fish and chips with no starters and no desserts and some wine and water.

We had a much better fish, chips and mushy peas at Searcy's in St Pancras station for much less than this. I know where we will be going next time!

2  Thank kenc
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Honestly, having to wait around 40 minutes to order our meals and another 25 minutes for it to arrive was a shame.
The waitress was clearly struggling to attend all the tables on own.
I found the manager quite rude. He even said my bill as cheap without I asking him anything.
I don't think paying £45 for a Groupon voucher and another £30 on the bill for an average food was cheap.
Definitely won't go back there again.

1  Thank CavacoViola
Reviewed January 23, 2013

if you ever visit chelsea, you have to go to geales while your there. simply fantastic food, i would recommend the platter. If your like me and you dont like oysters or scallops, then go for it! calamari, beautifully flavoured prawns,lovely mussels, chips, and half a lobster each, plenty of food for 2! lovely atmos, and on our particular visit, we saw a well known celebrity. definitely give it a go, you will keep coming back!!!

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We read all too often about bad service, rude and indifferent staff. Well, this ranks as my best service experience of all time.

We arrived early, with our 3 month old, and as it was a late lunch we had our pick of tables. The waiter asked where we would be most comfortable and we spent time going through the options, rare in my experience. The waitress realised that the heaters from the roof were a little hot for our little one, and kindly offered to turn it off.

Food was good without being great, but for a Sunday lunch its reasonably priced and tasty.

When we finished we hoped to get a taxi outside but as it was snowing heavily that wasn't possible. The waitress went out in the street to see if she could flag down a taxi, offered to call one for us but said it may take 20minutes and also offered to go to Kings Road to flag one down there (coat on, ready to hunt down a taxi for us!). Eventually we called a cab to collect us.

The restaurant is small and quite, in a lovely area of Cheslea. The ambience is calm and tranquil, nice background music without being overpowering.

Wine list is not extensive but reasonably priced, deserts were excellent. Coffee was ok, mains good, starters very good.

I think this is an exceptional example of top quality service. For many so called good restaurants, some could do with a refresher of what quality service is and Geales is worth a visit for that alone.