“Very disappointing”

Add it.
Soltan
Cuisines: Persian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: Esfahan is a Persian restaurant and lounge in Putney that is loved for its hearty portions, authentic Iranian food and stylish interior. Located on the Upper Richmond Road, Esfahan is suitable for business dining, family outings and parties, and the dining room is an inviting space decorated with tiled floors, exposed brick walls, fresh flower arrangements, Persian carpets and colourful artworks. Esfahan hosts a belly dancing show every Thursday night which adds to the theatrical atmosphere, and the restaurant also has easy parking, large screens for sports fans and a reasonably priced menu that includes an extensive range of salads, meze, grills and traditional Persian puddings.
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Went with a Groupon voucher which was just as well as I would never pay the full price in this establishment. This place has now changed it's name to Soltan. The staff (2 of them) were very unfriendly and never once asked us if we were enjoying our meal (maybe they knew what the response would be). For the main dish the plate was cold and the food tasted very bland, certainly not what I was expecting from Persian cooking. Chunks of beef tough and inedible. The one half of tomato burnt and the "saffron" rice was a small dollop on top of ordinary rice. No deserts on the menu. We were given a dollop of ice cream and a bit of pastry. I wouldn't call this place a restaurant more a down market cafe with it's paper table cloth and paper serviette. This place had no atmosphere whatsoever. We didn't pay any service charge. Would not recommend this place to anyone.

2  Thank smudge03

Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed some takeaway from here one Friday night. Service was prompt and portions were generous. The restaurant was quiet which was surprising given how delicious the food was.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

My wife and I went there last night on a KGB Deals voucher. We didn't get any choice on the voucher but the food was absolutely delicious, especially the shish kofte (don't know the Farsi word), and the quantities ideal. The rest of the menu looked as though it would be really nice and interesting, as well as being very attractively priced. The "Persian green juice" drink was superb. I might have preferred more authentically Persian music but it was pleasant enough and contributed to a very peaceful, welcoming and relaxing atmosphere. We shall go back, vouchers or no vouchers.

1  Thank JimThomasKew
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Me and my family have visited this great restaurant for the first time.we'v had the mix starter and the mix grill, my wife also had the aubergine stew which was really tasty.the lamb and chicken grill was full of flavour and fresh.service was also very attending.we'll definitely go back.if you like, Persian food then this is the place to go.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

I have been to 2 other persian restaurants and have really enjoyed the subtle spices and interesting flavours and was looking forward to a similar experience at Esfahan. Sadly this was not my experience.

On the plus side there was a very warm and friendly welcome to, what appeared to be, a one man show. The person serving seemed to be doing a fair amount of food preparation too.

We ordered 2 starters plus some garlic persian bread which the waiter proceeded to make by hand in a kitchen area at the far end of the restaurant. In all honest the bread was the highlight of the meal - it was delicious, freshly made and tasty. One of the two starters we ordered was not available so we had to change our order once the bread had been served. The hoummos was fine as was the aubergine starter but nothing remarkable.

The 2 main stews were pretty disappointing and heavy. None of the delicate spice notes that I was expecting from a persian meal. Instead the taste was rather earthy and, in fact, not that pleasant although we did eat it.

Such a shame as we were expecting so much and the waiter was certainly making a lot of effort to please us. Even with the tastecard discount this was not good value and, sadly, I would not return.

1  Thank wombleflier