“Not very friendly”
Review of Canteen - Canary Wharf - CLOSED

Canteen - Canary Wharf
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Dining at Canteen is as much about the aesthetic experience as the menu ��� both of which showcase the best of British produce and craftsmanship. Located in London���s Canada Square, between the Canary Wharf DLR and tube stations, Canteen is a chic, unfussy space dedicated to casual all-day dining and Canary Wharf workers stop by for coffees, elevenses, sandwiches, freshly cooked pies and cakes as well as hearty British meals. The discerning interior design is furnished with a 50s palette of muted grass greens, sky blue, red and sunny yellow paired with down-to-earth materials like oak, cork and tweed. Business and child friendly, Canteen is a stylish choice for breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner.
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Not very friendly”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Went there for a coffee got told no they needed the table for lunchtime which was fine but the came at 1145 and told us to buy food or leave

Visited January 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Great concept- appalling execution”
Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

Haven't been here for a year as was so horrified last time - sadly nOthing has changed. What should be a great concept - uncomplicated great British food - is awful in reality. We rolled in for a Sunday roast as couldn't be bothered to cook. The veg was first class - presumably as it was the only thing cooked whilst we were here. The rest, over done tough beef, dull roasts and a Yorkshire pudding you could play cricket with were generally mediocre to appalling. The word most overheard from staff is "sorry" as one culinary disaster after another hits he tables - in a random order. Only if you have had your electricity cut off could you not rustle up a better Sunday roast than this. Avoid and go somewhere else .

London, United Kingdom
“Save your money for somewhere better”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

As much as it pains me to admit it the Girlfriend twigged straight away, on our only shared visit, that the hype may not be justified. It took me about four return visits, each time with the same friend borne more out of convenience than anything, for me to finally see what she meant.

The Canteen chain of restaurants (I’ve only been to the Canary Wharf one) is trumpeted as a celebration of British Cuisine, all your old favourites unpretentious cooked for you to enjoy.

The problem is that the quality does not match the hyperbole. I’ve eaten my way through the sausage and mash, a couple of the pies and the chicken and chips. All are cooked satisfactory but without the due care and attention you’d expect for the price; I’ve experienced cold chips, waterlogged greens to name a few problems.

The penny finally dropped when I made a weekday visit to the restaurant after having spent the weekend at Borough Market stocking up on foodie goodies. As I sat in the restaurant working my way through an adequate sausage and mash it dawned on me that I’d eaten better over the weekend from the food I’d cooked myself from the well sourced ingredients of the various market stalls; and importantly at a lower cost!

And I wasn't cooking elaborately but cooking in the same style as Canteen, i.e. make mash, cook two sausages, add a simple gravy and serve. To be honest I want something more for my money when I am paying £11.75 for a chicken thigh, a chicken leg and some chips. If simple ingredients are to be used then they should at least be cooked with such expertise that I know I couldn’t replicate it in my kitchen (i.e. Hawksmoor).

Overall these restaurants are satisfactory and relatively inoffensive but with a multitude of better and more interesting options available throughout the London restaurant scene, Canteen offers lazy cooking trading off a loosely defined nostalgia.

• Visited June 2012
Perth, Australia
“Good service but mediocre food.”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I went to Canteen Canary Wharf with my wife, two teenage daughters, sister and Dad. The idea was to choose somewhere with quite an extensive menu that included plenty of less fancy food as both my daughters can be quite fussy. The menu at Canteen seemed to suit everyone with it's all day breakfasts, pies, roast dinners, steak, fish and chicken.

Our visit was on a quiet Monday night and the restaurant was probably only about 25% occupied. We were attended to promptly and after ordering the food arrived fairly quickly too. Unfortunately the food was pretty average. My daughter enjoyed her bacon sandwich although the bacon looked a bit fatty to me. My wife only took a bite out of a sausage sandwich because the sausage was spicy rather than English type "bangers". My dad had a beef pie which had pretty overcooked pastry. I had fish and chips which was ok although I've had much better and the portion size left a lot to be desired. My sister had pork roast which she said was ok. My other daughter had macaroni cheese which she enjoyed.

The desserts we ordered were pretty good although they did not have enough strawberries for Eton Mess and as two of our party wanted that it was a bit disappointing.

They took the sausage sandwich off the bill without us asking and I think the wait staff deserve some credit for effort at least.

I don't think I'd return, as there are plenty of better places to go for a family meal although not so much in Canary Wharf.

• Visited October 2012
South Shields, United Kingdom
“mmmmmm what to say”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I was in the city with my husband and daughter to visit the O2 for a show and being a fussy eater my daughter suggest Canteen at Canary Wharf, bad choice. Althought the waiter was a great guy. very attentive and pleasant he recognised our accent and commented on how much he like the North East of England my food. My daughter orded the shephards pie, husband the fish of the day and myself the chicken breast. All came together which is a great start, daughters was piping hot and husbands same. I started to eat mine and the top of the chicken was fine but as soon as I got a little further into the meat it was cold and had blood running out of it. I quietly called the waitress close to hand over and told her, she was very apologetic and took the food away and listened to my request that I did not wish to have the same again and would like the shepards pie which after waiting a little time came and like my daughters was piping hot but the down side was I ate on my own as the daughter and husband had finished theirs. We ordered a dessert of chocolate and beetroot cake and the victoria sponge and for my husband a coffee. After quite a long wait all arrived my daughter enjoyed the chocolate cake however once again my was a little dry but I ate most of it. When we were due to leave my husband requested the bill which with water and the 12.5% service charge was almost £47 they had not charged for mine. I can say that yes I am a fussy eater but a couple on the table behind us had the same problem with the chicken they had ordered but refused to have something else and left. The restaurant was clean and had the menu on the paper table mat, basic but nice furniture and not over crowded with tables and chairs also with outside seating. Was very disappointed in the food after waiting all day to eat. Would I go back well maybe try one of the other ones to see if this was just a one off or if it is the norm.

• Visited October 2012