“Engagemnet dinner gone wrong”

Marco Pierre White - Wheeler's of St. James's
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: St. James's
Description: An elegant British restaurant and bar, Marco Pierre White - Wheeler's of St. James was set up as a collaborative effort between Marco Pierre White and Sir Rocco Forte, with the intention of serving the finest authentic British cuisine. Presented and served with the style and flair that Marco Pierre White's restaurants are renowned for, you can enjoy a combination of classic and contemporary British cuisine from a menu that changes every three months to ensure that every visit offers a different dining experience. Wheeler's of St James's is situated on the site of Madame Prunier's fish restaurant, one of the capital's most fashionable eateries in the first half of the last century. The restaurant's glamorous dining room, private room and bar belie its traditional exterior and have made it a popular fine dining destination. The spacious interior allows a host of private events, launches and parties to be catered for. For smaller groups, Wheeler's of St. James's stylish private room is a superb location for business meetings, private dinners or exclusive receptions. Just a step back from the bustling pace of Piccadilly, Marco Pierre White - Wheeler's of St. James has quickly established itself as a haven of fine dining and discreet, considerate service. A firm favourite with locals, tourists and visitors to Central London, the passion of the staff promises the best food and the best service for your visit.
Reviewed January 13, 2014

This was supposed to be a joyous celebration of my recent engagement.

When we got there the place was pretty empty, and after my experience I know why.

When ordering our starters you had run out of two things we wanted to order – not the best start.
When ordering our mains everything seemed fine – until we were told you only had 1 portion of chips left (4 out of 5 of us had ordered a meal with chips) – I’m not an expert but what kind of restaurant runs out of chips?!
The steak was OK, nothing special. If people want a good steak restaurant in London go to Hawksmoor - fantastic.

When we asked our waitress if the restaurant runs out of food often we were told that it depends if they've had a busy lunch, I’m sorry but an establishment like this should ensure that there is enough food for all guests, especially ones who have made reservations far in advance. We spent a large amount of time searching for a nice restaurant to suit all of our tastes, next time I’ll be sure to stick to the restaurants I know.

Marco Pierre sohuld not be proud of this restaurant, in fact, I would of had a better experience at a Wetherspoons!

1  Thank MoreB2012
There are newer reviews for Marco Pierre White - Wheeler's of St. James's

Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

After reading some of the other reviews I was slightly dubious about our visit. Especially since we had booked through a Living Social deal. However, we had a really enjoyable meal. The food was delicious , our steaks were all cooked exactly how we wanted, and the staff were very attentive. The only downside, and the reason it didn't get 5 stars, was the atmosphere was quite flat. Aside from this I Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

We ate very early, and for a while were the only clients. Eventually two more theatre going couples joined us, so we were rattling around in a big space., the six of us. The enormous downstairs room is clearly rarely used, but one must pass it on the way to the loos, and, additionally, some artworks of a rather racy nature. The staff were very charming and obliging. We ate the very reasonably priced theatre menu; I enjoyed my liver and bacon served on a bed of spinach, and the filter coffee was very good. Those of us who remember Wheelers in the old days when it was a very smart and expensive fish restaurant may well feel that Marco Pierre White's Wheelers has come down in the world quite a long way. For a start, fish no longer really figures that prominently. The decor in this room is pretty dire. I would go back for a reasonably priced promptly served meal if it suited me, but as destination dining, probably not.

1  Thank Black_Doris36
Reviewed December 5, 2013

It lacked sole and was nothing like a chip off the old block. Service was a little raw. Atmosphere definitely off the bone. Nett value; simply disappointing.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

We took friends to Wheelers last Saturday evening for a special dinner. We had been on a previous occasion which we thoroughly enjoyed. This time, however, it was completely different. A major letdown. Service was good but the food quite frankly was awful. Battered fish & chips very greasy & poor. My ribeye was tasteless and tough. One friend's well done steak was sent back with blood still dripping from it. My wife's ribeye was inedible & was sent back. She then chose fish which she left. We were still billed for it but after complaining it was removed from the bill. The 12.5% service charge (plus VAT) was still on of course. Starters were very good, but the Black Sheep beer was flat ..... and then ran out. I know this all sounds pedantic but we gave desserts a miss & I bought a Twix on the way back to the hotel to fill up. Come on MPW. I'm from Leeds too!