“Nice setting.”

Cafe Rouge Kew Bridge
Ranked #2,867 of 23,571 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located in picturesque Strand-on-the-Green, with plenty of outside seating to take advantage of the views of Kew Bridge and the Thames, Cafe Rouge Kew Bridge is a stunning place to eat. To suit such a beautiful location - we have a beautiful menu! Filled with delicious innovative takes on the classics and dishes inspired by different regions of France. Slightly east of the restaurant, Strand-on-the-Green becomes a footpath that runs downstream alongside the river, joining up to Thames Road on the other side. Roughly in the middle of this section of footpath, in the River Thames, is the heavily wooded Oliver's Island. In the 18th century, a tollbooth was built on the island and charges were made to barges and other craft to allow them to pass.
Reviewed August 5, 2013

A nice setting just a short walk from Kew Bridge.
Service was fast.
Food was very nice.
An enjoyable meal.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Not fantastic but ok for a quick dinner or a nice lunch. Lunch prices are very reasonable and the food is tasty enough. Service is fine and the best feature is the little sun terrace overlooking the river if you are lucky enough to get a table.

Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Visited a couple of weeks ago to this branch of Cafe Rouge.

Slow, tardy, lazy and ignorant: for both food and staff (manager excluded). Starters took 35 minutes to come out. It was alright. Took a further 45 minutes for plates to be collected - only after asking the manager. Steak come out well done, asked for rare. Ate it anyway because I was hungry. Girlfriends pasta was uncooked. Couldn't find any staff to speak to. Ate what we could. Worth noting that our drinks have been empty for over an hour now.

Finally found the manager, explained and showed him the food. He took it off our bill. No fuss.

I don't know if he was fully aware of what was going on, but his staff are a shambles. Doubt I'll be going back.

2  Thank CPlasma
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We come regularly and always enjoy our experience - whether its for dinner with friends, an early evening light meal or their good value Coffee and Cake deal after a night out.

The menu features a good variety of french options for all appetites - steak frites, croque monsieur, moules marinieres - and changes regularly so there is usually something new to try. The food is always good and we've never been disappointed in our choice. The wine list also includes a good variety of reds and whites.

Generally the service is good and always friendly. This branch of Cafe Rouge features a large indoor dining area, an outdoor terrace and an upstairs balcony which is almost always full when the weather is good. Book early on warm days as everyone enjoys its riverside location.

On our last visit I had the goat's cheese salad as a main and my partner had the set evening meal - warm chicken salad and Eton Mess for dessert. My salad was very good and generous - toasted goats cheese combined with black olives, strips of red pepper, greens and a french dressing worked well. My partner's warm chicken salad which looked a little like salad nicoise with chicken substituted for tuna was equally enjoyable. His Eton Mess paired strawberry ice cream with meringues and cream - an unexpected addition to standard Eton Mess but he said it was good.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

My wife and I have been to Cafe Rouge restaurants many times and only a couple of weeks ago, I gave a good review to the one in Ruislip. However, we have not had the set lunch before and if they are all like this, never again. My review applies only to this branch which appeared to be poorly run and they might be better elsewhere, although obviously the same ingrediants. This was our first (and only) visit to this branch.
You might say, possibly with some justification, " what do you expect for £9.95?". Well, I've had many cheap lunches better than this.
The starters were perfectly good but the mains were not. My Salade Nicoise looked OK but was probably the worst I have had. My wife's Chicken Breast in Tomato Sauce with Black Olive Mash appeared to be and tasted like a tin of tomatoes and a few onions tipped on to very tough chicken. (Difficult to achieve nowadays. Was it just this chef? (This was lunchtime on 2nd July.)
The service was slow, to say the least. Despite there being very few customers, twice we had to get up to get any attention from a waitress.
When being served, the waitress could not be bothered to walk to the other side of the table but handed the dishes across.
In addition, the wooden seats were hard (particularly by the time we left!), the hand dryer in the men's toilet did not work properly and the waste bin in the ladies' toilet was overflowing. In view of the number of customers, it could not have been emptied that day.
I suggest the management at this branch be looked into. The waitresses were pleasant enough but even the "Have a Good Day" delivered when we left was said as if by rote.
Car parking is difficult, in the day anyway.
Would we go to Cafe Rouge again? Defintely, yes. Would we go to this branch again. Definitely not!. My review is for the Set Price Lunch only, and the a la carte might well be better prepared.
Hopefully, anyway!