“Fantastic service and food”
Review of Golden Oven

Golden Oven
Ranked #15,124 of 23,707 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Soho
Description: Situated on Bateman Street in the heart of the West End, the Golden Oven is ideal for long lunches and pre-theatre dinners, especially if you're a fan of authentic Indian food. The emphasis is on fresh spices and traditional recipes so you can be sure the dishes taste just as they would in India. The restaurant itself is relaxed and unpretentious, with friendly staff to guide diners through the extensive menu. Classics like lamb karahi and chicken madras are done very well here, but we recommend trying one of the chef's signature dishes. Try the garlic chilli chicken if you like your food hot and spicy, or go for a thali if you want to try a little bit of everything.
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We LOVED this restaurant ! We found it by chance on a busy Saturday night and there was a queue outside so we booked a table for a couple of hours later .When we arrived at 21h30 the manager had us seated within a couple of minutes and was an excellent host throughout the evening..The food was superb and reasonably priced.

8  Thank kevonski

Reviewed February 5, 2013

It's amazing how many people reviewing this place and have given it a top rating have only reviewed one place. One would almost think they were made up. Please don't waste your time or money eating here, it's awful.

1  Thank PWD40
Reviewed January 24, 2013

The Golden Oven is a tiny little Indian restaurant on Bateman Street in Soho. It can get a little cramped when it's busy since tables are so close together, but the food is good enough to make up for that.

I've been a number of times and a couple of times the manager asked me what I liked and brought out some complimentary dishes for me to try without a hard sell.

The food is tasty, not ridiculously expensive and the amount of food served is perfect- not too much or too little and decent for the price.

7  Thank Squeb31
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I can't believe some of the reviews on here: “best indian in london”

Oh come on! Having been here, I lose faith in websites like this in providing accurate reviews!

Please post honest reviews people!

This restaurant is very average. The portions are small. The décor could do with an update. The staff were friendly. Service charge was included.

We only ordered a main course, which was on our table in 3 minutes, so this is a reheat/microwave establishment and they don't even hide it.

The End!

3  Thank Robbie_UK
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I'm really struggling to understand why there are so many positive reviews about Golden Oven. First, we ordered two poppadoms which looked like they were bought from a supermarket. The 'sauces' they came with were foul, one of which wasn't actually sauce but a bowl of plain chopped onion. For our mains, I ordered a hot curry, while my boyfriend ordered a milder curry. We each got about 5 tiny pieces of meat swimming in a huge amount of sauce. The hot curry was awful. It was full of tabasco sauce, NOT chillies! This made it taste ridiculous! The milder curry was flavoured with something very, very sweet - I wouldn't be surprised if it was sugar, to make it taste milder. The total bill came up to £30. Over-priced, terrible food. Don't go!

4  Thank Wengiu